The Student Room Group

Newcastle Law vs Sheffield Law + a tad complication.

I've been having some difficulties choose between the two for a few reasons.

I'm a linguist - always have been. I was wanting to take English Law and French Law which is available at only Sheffield(Out of those two universities).

I have an offer from Newcastle for their straight LLB course due to their not having a language course that links with Law. Along with an offer from Sheffield for the above course.

I was wondering which is the right thing to do? In the end, I'd like to end up at the Bar.

Do I choose Newcastle which is considerably higher than Sheffield in nearly all Law league tables, along with having a beautiful Law school and good employability prospects thereafter, not to mention the nightlife and the amazing student life there. OR do I choose Sheffield for the course I want to do, all their pro bono initiatives and the fact the pupillage report last year indicated that it was a very good Uni to attend for Law with coming just behind Oxbridge and UCL in 2008 and behind Durham, UCL, Oxbridge and Bristol in the 2013 one - Newcastle didn't feature in this years publication?

Thank you for any help given.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LanguageNerd123
I've been having some difficulties choose between the two for a few reasons.

I'm a linguist - always have been. I was wanting to take English Law and French Law which is available at only Sheffield.

I is certainly not the case that this course is only available at Sheffield.

Do I choose Newcastle which is considerably higher than Sheffield in nearly all Law league tables, along with having a beautiful Law school and good employability prospects thereafter, not to mention the nightlife and the amazing student life there. OR do I choose Sheffield for the course I want to do, all their pro bono initiatives and the fact the pupillage report last year indicated that it was a very good Uni to attend for Law with coming just behind Oxbridge and UCL in 2008 and behind Durham, UCL, Oxbridge and Bristol in the 2013 one - Newcastle didn't feature in this years publication?

According to the Bar Barometer 2011 Sheffield was in 4th place with 2.8% of pupils with Newcastle was joint 4th with 2.6% of pupils. In 2012, Sheffield was joint 7th with 2.2% of pupils. Newcastle wasn't in the top 20 with fewer than 1.1% of pupils. However in terms of numbers, that is 13 Sheffield in 2011, 12 Newcastle; 10 Sheffield 2012, fewer than 5 Newcastle. You have no idea how many of these were law graduates.

But if you look at the volatility of these figures, you will see that no worthwhile conclusions can be drawn, save one. In 2011, UCL had 19. In 2012, it had 10. In 2011 Bristol had fewer than 4. In 2012, it had 16. In 2011, there were 4 ex-Polys plus Open in the top 20 universities providing pupils. In 2012, there were none. The one worthwhile conclusion is that one third of pupils are Oxbridge graduates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending