Child with special needs tasered by police....... What are your opinions??

Watch this thread
brooke131313
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/sp...e-8989171.html

THIS IS THE NEWS REPORT ABOUT THIS ISSUE WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS...???
TH BOY WAS 15
HAD SEVERE SPECIAL NEEDS
AN WAS CARRYING A BUTTER KNIFE
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
If anyone is holding up a knife to a police officer, they're going to get tased or shot. It doesn't matter if he's special needs, he was endangering the people around him and was neutralised.

And seriously, it's only a taser, he'll be fine.
Sammy Lanka
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
If the kid was carrying a knife and a taser was the only way to guarantee the officers safety then thy were completely right to use it

Posted from TSR Mobile
james22
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It is difficult to tell how sharp a knife is unless you are right up close, and by then it's too late.
Kiss
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I think they could have sought a more viable method than tasering him but if you're brandish a knife at the police then people shouldn't have expected him to be treated any differently than if it wasn't someone with special needs.
smudge_moon
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I live local to that school and from what I've heard it wasn't a butter knife, it was a knife they had taken from the kitchen. If the police felt in danger then they had a right to taser. You have no idea how strong someone is by looking at them, even if it wasn't a sharp knife, if you're stabbed really hard with it, it will cause damage. So it's up to the individual if they felt judging by the situation they used reasonable force ( I believe they did) then it's allowed. The police were called for a reason, and that was to control the situation and that's what they felt necessary to control the situation then that's fine. It's not like they turned up to show them how the police work and just used the taser on them to show them what it's like,

Posted from TSR Mobile
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The article does not say what kind of knife was involved. Taking from the article that a teacher had to be treated by paramedics for chest and head injuries at the scene then taken to hospital, it seems like the taser may well have been the safest way to resolve the conflict.

To be fair though, that article provides no grounds at all to debate proportionality; did the child have a meat cleaver and run towards the officers, after attacking the teacher, or did the child have a butter knife and pose no threat? We will never know.
Flexa
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Recently, In Manchester, a young man was tasered by police, and he died because of it.

We're slowly turning into America, Guns will be introduced next. Police are using too much force.
TurboCretin
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The officers were called to the school in the first place because there had been a violent incident where a teacher had been sent to hospital with head and chest injuries.

If someone with complex emotional or behavioural difficulties, an unpredictable person who has reputedly hospitalised a teacher already, brandishes a knife at a police officer I would say that's just cause to use a taser.
Dragonfly07
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I think that the police did what they had to. My brother has severe learning difficulties and I know he doesn't understand what he's doing but he's extremely aggressive.

When he has aggressive episodes he will attack anyone he sees (especially small children! He would just randomly run towards them with a roar and pull their hair/bite them). Everyone who had to live around him during his aggressive episodes had bruises and scratches all over their bodies, and he's only 9 now. When he's older and he has those tendencies he WILL be dangerous and if he needs to be tasered to stop him from hurting other people then he should be.
Solemn Rain
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It doesn't matter whether he is special needs boy or not, anyone who brandishes a knife at a police officer deserves to be tasered imo
Caedus
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
My opinion on the matter is that the police did the right thing. If the kid was showing signs of assaultive resistance the police would have been authorised to defensively use the taser.
username474976
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pjm600)
The article does not say what kind of knife was involved
It doesn't matter because a) it's difficult to judge how dangerous a knife is in that situation and b) a table knife is still lethal.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Tbh, the learning difficulty probably meant he was more dangerous and more likely to need tasering. Not news.
ChildishHambino
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
why shouldn't have he been tasered lol??
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kidomo)
It doesn't matter whether he is special needs boy or not, anyone who brandishes a knife at a police officer deserves to be tasered imo
It doesn't matter that they were a police officer. ordinary citizens should have the right to defend themselves.
The Angry Stoic
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
PR disaster!
smudge_moon
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Flexa)
Recently, In Manchester, a young man was tasered by police, and he died because of it.

We're slowly turning into America, Guns will be introduced next. Police are using too much force.
Isn't that the guy who covered himself in petrol though? Yes, it was a stupid move to tase someone who was covered in a flammable substance, but people don't just drop down dead from being tasered, unless they have an underlying heart problem, and then I'm sure you could have shouted you have a heart problem if you knew, and then the police would then be liable for knowing the information, but also you are given the chance before you're tasered to back down and give up, if you continue with threatening behavior then yes, you've been warned and you gave up the option not to be tasered.
ChildishHambino
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ripper-Roo)
It doesn't matter that they were a police officer. ordinary citizens should have the right to defend themselves.
EDIT: Misunderstood haha.
Caedus
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ChildishHambino)
it doesn't say he was defending himself though, in fact a teacher was sent to hospital with something to do with the incident. Why would he brandish a knife to protect himself?
I think he means quite the opposite: the police had a right to defend themselves, like any other citizen. If someone brandished a knife at you you'd also have the right to defend yourself, taser or no taser.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (22)
31.88%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (26)
37.68%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (3)
4.35%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.35%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.8%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
13.04%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.45%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads