notthegreatest
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Is it possible to do GCSE in biology or chemistry while studying at university... I never failed the subjects because I never did them... But I want to do them since it will help me.. I did health and social care but I regret it because it didn't help much with nursing... I'd do maths again since I don't have a good grade... But most universities don't tend to look at it... But I find it important in nursing and midwifery... But I wish to take up a science subject preferably Chemistry or Biology along to help me more.

So is it possible to do GCSE chemistry or biology along with going to university?
wendigo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by notthegreatest)
Is it possible to do GCSE in biology or chemistry while studying at university... I never failed the subjects because I never did them... But I want to do them since it will help me.. I did health and social care but I regret it because it didn't help much with nursing... I'd do maths again since I don't have a good grade... But most universities don't tend to look at it... But I find it important in nursing and midwifery... But I wish to take up a science subject preferably Chemistry or Biology along to help me more.

So is it possible to do GCSE chemistry or biology along with going to university?
Well I'm at uni and I'm currently doing A2 Biology, so I'd say theoretically: yes it is possible!

The only sticking point which I'm not sure about are the practical elements. A quick search on google for 'distance learning GCSEs' will show loads of providers that could potentially help with this?

I'd also recommend looking into local colleges that might provide part-time GCSEs for mature students.

Best of luck!
notthegreatest
Rep:
?
(Original post by wendigo)
Well I'm at uni and I'm currently doing A2 Biology, so I'd say theoretically: yes it is possible!

The only sticking point which I'm not sure about are the practical elements. A quick search on google for 'distance learning GCSEs' will show loads of providers that could potentially help with this?

I'd also recommend looking into local colleges that might provide part-time GCSEs for mature students.

Best of luck!
I want to do them in a college or university that offers them part time.. I want to do them because it will help with nursing or midwifery... I did nursing at university before but I struggled a lot with the biology parts.. Because the Btec course didn't help, we didn't have biology in Btec, which I was extremely upset about... I once had an interview offer for Kings to study nursing but never went because I lacked GCSE science... So I never went cause it brought me down... I wish to do it at a college or university that offers it.
wendigo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I want to do them in a college or university that offers them part time.. I want to do them because it will help with nursing or midwifery... I did nursing at university before but I struggled a lot with the biology parts.. Because the Btec course didn't help, we didn't have biology in Btec, which I was extremely upset about... I once had an interview offer for Kings to study nursing but never went because I lacked GCSE science... So I never went cause it brought me down... I wish to do it at a college or university that offers it.
It's hard for me to give you local colleges because I don't know where you live, but if you do a google search you should be able to find a provider. When you say you did nursing at university, did you start the degree and not finish it? I'm just trying to work out whether you're currently studying or not and what your highest qualifications are!

Have you also looked at Access courses? I know there are access courses in Science and Healthcare if that would be more helpful.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The anatomy and physiology that is covered at uni is taught at a higher level than GCSE, if you want to do GCSE biology to "help you out" with nursing it'd be best to get it done before, or as the other poster has suggested maybe look at an access course.
notthegreatest
Rep:
?
(Original post by wendigo)
It's hard for me to give you local colleges because I don't know where you live, but if you do a google search you should be able to find a provider. When you say you did nursing at university, did you start the degree and not finish it? I'm just trying to work out whether you're currently studying or not and what your highest qualifications are!

Have you also looked at Access courses? I know there are access courses in Science and Healthcare if that would be more helpful.
I have an interview offer at a college for access to nursing.. But I'd like to do a GCSE science subject along with it... To help me more into uni...I think chemistry would be better since I heard biology is covered a lot in the access course.
notthegreatest
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonkatt)
The anatomy and physiology that is covered at uni is taught at a higher level than GCSE, if you want to do GCSE biology to "help you out" with nursing it'd be best to get it done before, or as the other poster has suggested maybe look at an access course.
That's why I want to do GCSE science subject to give me a head starter... I felt so stupid at university... Especially at placements when tested by doctors about my knowledge in biology and chemistry... I did a Btec course which I regret... Not because it's a bad course but because it didn't help at all with nursing... Students at my Btec classes were told lies that you don't need biology and chemistry are not needs... But that's not the truth.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's why I want to do GCSE science subject to give me a head starter... I felt so stupid at university... Especially at placements when tested by doctors about my knowledge in biology and chemistry... I did a Btec course which I regret... Not because it's a bad course but because it didn't help at all with nursing... Students at my Btec classes were told lies that you don't need biology and chemistry are not needs... But that's not the truth.
I'm getting a bit confused here. You asked in your OP whether or not you should do biology or chemistry whilst at uni, but now you're saying you want to do it before.

If you're thinking about doing a course prior to uni then an access course would cover everything you need. It'd cover the maths that you say you didn't do brilliantly in as well. When I was at uni the best prepared students in my group tended to be the ones who did an access course.
notthegreatest
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonkatt)
I'm getting a bit confused here. You asked in your OP whether or not you should do biology or chemistry whilst at uni, but now you're saying you want to do it before.

If you're thinking about doing a course prior to uni then an access course would cover everything you need. It'd cover the maths that you say you didn't do brilliantly in as well. When I was at uni the best prepared students in my group tended to be the ones who did an access course.
That kind of is true.. In my uni a lot of the access students tended to get the best grades... So hopefully I'd get accepted into the access course... Fingers crossed.
xx-Samantha-xx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Personally I would probably do the access course because it will cover what you will need for Nursing, everyone that had come from the Access to Nursing course to Nursing were better prepared than some people coming from A-Levels. Some Universities aren't that picky in which subjects you studied as long as you have some science knowledge at GCSE level and Maths to at least a C grade, while most do prefer you to come from a science background as it will help massively when I applied there were many that didn't mind if you'd done all arts and humanities type Alevels. However, this may have changed now as all Nursing course have changed to Degree Level entry and I've not had to apply for the course since I've now finished it.

For example, I had BB in Double award Science Modular (Bio, Chem and Physics) at GCSE and A-Levels in Physics, Maths and Eng Lit with an AS in Bio and they were better prepared than me because the access course is tailored to studying Nursing in the future where as most of the Bio and Chem that I learned in high school and A/AS level wasn't used that much if i'm honest because while AS Bio does cover human anatomy it's not it's main focus as it teaches you about ecosystems and other things that are not relevant to Nursing which I didn't use.

Anywho, good luck to those applying for Nursing, Access courses etc !! It's an amazing profession
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?