Turn on thread page Beta

main things that affect a computers speed watch

ReputationRep:
    What are the main thins that affect a computers speed? Not in terms of gaming speed but everything else like going on the internet doing general things.

ReputationRep:
    Ram and processor speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    What are the main thins that affect a computers speed? Not in terms of gaming speed but everything else like going on the internet doing general things.
    ram, processor speed and the number of cores a processor has.

ReputationRep:
    CPU
    Ram
    Hard Drive
    Graphics Card.
    Motherboard.

(From most important to least)

ReputationRep:
    Having too many xvideo tabs open

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have just bought 2 gb of ram for my computer which is old and only had 1 gb do you think there will be a noticeable difference in speed? Bearing in mind the processor speed is the same.

ReputationRep:
    List your computer specs, operating system etc...

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have just bought 2 gb of ram for my computer which is old and only had 1 gb do you think there will be a noticeable difference in speed? Bearing in mind the processor speed is the same.
    It depends. If you were only using 500mb of RAM at peak, then going from 1GB to 2GB wouldn't make a difference.

If you have 1GB of RAM, but the software you're using is taking up more than that (press ctrl+shift+esc to bring up the task manager and check the physical memory percentage) then you'll be using "virtual memory". This is where you use some hard drive space in place of that missing memory. However, it's slower (so reduced performance). It's like having a table covered in paper and reports and documents, but you run out of space so you need to stick some in a filing cabinet, but every time you need that document again, you need to walk over and get it out, which is a slower process.

So if you're using more memory than you have, upgrading will help. I had 6GB of RAM and had slow performance. I upgraded to 16GB (to give myself some future proofing) and I found out I was actually using 9GB of RAM in my daily tasks, so I had 3GB less than I needed which was causing my slowdown. Upgrading from 16GB to 32GB would not increase my performance because I'm not at that limit yet.

ReputationRep:
    It depends entirely on what was making your computer slow in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    operating system xp
    hard drive 180 gb I think
    motherboard asus p5ld2
    speed processor intel core 2cpu
    630 @ 1.86 ghz

ReputationRep:
    It's not slow per se I just wanted to see if it would improve and also it wasn't expensive to buy two more gb. It is about five years old it did have vista but I changed it.

ReputationRep:
    Try running process hacker (link:http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/downloads.php) as there may be backup programs eating up your ram. Worst offenders are skype, itunes and steam.
    Other important considerations-
    If the computer is a laptop, is it on charge?
    If the browser speed is an issue, what browser? If you're running firefox with a thousand extensions, that can cause slowness
    Check your "true" wifi speed-or hook up an Ethernet cable.
    Deep scan on a virus checker
    Also, 2GB RAM is OK, but newer programs just aren't going to be compatible. Like skyrim says that you can run it on 2GB, but if anyone has tried it, it's like running through melting butter, and about as fun.

ReputationRep:
    operating system xp
    hard drive 180 gb I think
    motherboard asus p5ld2
    speed processor intel core 2cpu
    630 @ 1.86 ghz
    Assuming the processor is the Core 2 Duo E6300, the root of the issue is most likely that your PC uses seven year old parts, closing in on eight. Your motherboard also only supports DDR2 RAM and not the more modern DDR3, meaning unless you've specifically purchased the correct memory type it's almost definitely not going to work. Even then, 2GB is pretty low when the 4GB is considered the standard for everyday use, and DDR2 will be slower than the same quantity of DDR3 RAM already.

At this point I would say it's worth thinking about replacing it rather than upgrading, if you want to see any meaningful increase in speed. Assuming you've bought compatible RAM, you may see an improvement to multitasking, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Assuming the processor is the Core 2 Duo E6300, the root of the issue is most likely that your PC uses seven year old parts, closing in on eight. Your motherboard also only supports DDR2 RAM and not the more modern DDR3, meaning unless you've specifically purchased the correct memory type it's almost definitely not going to work. Even then, 2GB is pretty low when the 4GB is considered the standard for everyday use, and DDR2 will be slower than the same quantity of DDR3 RAM already.

At this point I would say it's worth thinking about replacing it rather than upgrading, if you want to see any meaningful increase in speed. Assuming you've bought compatible RAM, you may see an improvement to multitasking, however.
    This may seem like a dumb question but as it is an old processor will this slow it down or do you just mean as it is slower than modern ones. Also yeah the RAM is compatible. I will probably buy a separate computer but my parents use this one so just looking to improve it.

ReputationRep:
    This may seem like a dumb question but as it is an old processor will this slow it down or do you just mean as it is slower than modern ones. Also yeah the RAM is compatible. I will probably buy a separate computer but my parents use this one so just looking to improve it.
    No, it will perform the same as it did back when you first got it. He's saying it's painfully slow when compared to modern processors.

ReputationRep:
    A bit of the former, a lot of the latter. Processors do supposedly degrade over time, to what extent I don't personally know, however computers can just slow down under load as time goes on, as more and more programs add background processes or tasks at startup or as newer and newer programs use more and more system resources. Applications these days will be built first and foremost to meet modern standards, and older hardware is not going to cope as well. Look into defragging your PC and disabling startup items and you may see an improvement.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people said RAM, but no one said ram speed

anyway RAM, RAM speed, CPU (not so much speed, it depends which architecture if its a ok speed),anything over 4 core don't really matter for speed (not many programme use 4 cores let alone more), HDD not being over 80-90% full, hard drive speed, not getting bottlenecked, open processor and what not

Oh and 10048847474 start up programs (people seem to add everything to start up and leave them sat in tray)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't think forget hard drives get slow after a while.

The best thing you can to do speed up your computer is to put a completely fresh install of Windows on it.

ReputationRep:
    Even Core 2 Duo's are perfectly adequate for today's demands (provided you don't do hefty gaming/other demanding tasks). I used to have one, and I could play GTA IV on it, it was a workhorse machine.

OP, don't believe the naysayers, of course a more modern CPU would be better, but yours is still perfectly adequate for normal tasks. As another poster said, the best thing you can do to speed the system up is to install a fresh copy of Windows on it.

IDEA: Swap out the current processor with a higher end (better clock speed) Core 2 Duo type socket processor off eBay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    Don't think forget hard drives get slow after a while.

The best thing you can to do speed up your computer is to put a completely fresh install of Windows on it.
    As long as you do good computer maintenance a hard drive should not slow down over time. The only reason you should to install windows fresh is a upgrade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.