The Student Room Group

"Don't like abortion? Don't have one"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snagprophet
I think this picture pretty much sums up the facts here.

http://pigroll.com/img/abortion_not_a_difficult_concept.jpg

That picture is correct. Unfortunately for you, it is completely irrelevant to a debate on abortion.
The "chicken" one is ridiculous, at least find a picture of a fertilised egg.

The "tree" one is also ridiculous, this: http://digginginthedriftless.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/3036348795_01f3ec3ee7_b.gif would be more suitable.

The "dress" one, please shut up and go have a think about that.

And, finally, "person". You're right, that is simply the fusing of the sperm and ovum (I'm pretty sure, with my gcse level biology). A new organism has not yet been formed. When it has, there's your person. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Human_Embryo_-_Approximately_8_weeks_estimated_gestational_age.jpg this, maybe?)
I kinda get what the statement is saying, but I think it may require some explanation. For me, personally: I believe abortion is wrong, because the fetus exists and so, it must be alive, albeit not a fully independent living being. However, that being said: I can understand that in certain circumstances, abortion is a necessary action. But, I believe (as other posters before me have said):it is a personal choice, so I'm not going to go around forcing my opinions on to others and thus, if "you don't like abortion, don't have one".

Also, previous posters have claimed that those who are pro-life (like me), also believe in the death penalty and however, I do not.

Aaand for those debating about whether or not a fetus is alive, the definition of alive is: "In existence or operation" (according to http://www.thefreedictionary.com/alive")
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 4TSR
Yes it does. You made a claim that I claimed pro-life support death penalty on the innocent. I replied I said I know they do not support it, but innocents still get killed by the state.... :smile:

You're making a point about capital punishment which doesn't have any bearing the discussion.

You know that the people we're talking about do not support executing innocent people.

Therefore your initial complaint that they are hypocrites for supporting capital punishment while simultaneously opposing abortion misses the point by failing to understand the entirely understandable distinction made by them between violent criminals and innocent babies.
Reply 63
Abortion depends on the circumstance for me
Reply 64
Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish
You're making a point about capital punishment which doesn't have any bearing the discussion.

You know that the people we're talking about do not support executing innocent people.

Therefore your initial complaint that they are hypocrites for supporting capital punishment while simultaneously opposing abortion misses the point by failing to understand the entirely understandable distinction made by them between violent criminals and innocent babies.

Supporting capital punishment means you accept that an innocent will eventually get killed by the state as per the countless examples available from the all wise uncle google. that is my point...
Reply 65
Original post by L'Evil Fish
It senses though. Hearing doesn't have to be with ears, you can feel sounds! (Irrelevant ish but)

Regardless, they're still living beings post (maybe even before) 9 weeks, so why should they be killed?

It's not really a question of life though. It is a question of personhood. A foetus is most certainly alive, there isn't really much question about that. The question is really one of. Is it acceptable to end this life. Now almost anyone you ask would say that there isn't really anything wrong in ending the life of say a bacteria. But most would say it is wrong to end the life of a healthy adult human being.

The question here is not one of life, but one of the value of that life. It is almost universally considered wrong to end the life of an innocent person without their consent. So if the foetus can be considered a person. Then abortion is wrong.

Sorry for that long winded explanation, but I do feel that a debate on whether a foetus is alive is a) pointless (because it is alive) and b) doesn't actually answer the right question?
Reply 66
Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
No scholars, even those who argue pro-life, have believe this since the 70s.

oh well

Original post by danny111
Do you eat meat?

Yes
Original post by 4TSR
Supporting capital punishment means you accept that an innocent will eventually get killed by the state as per the countless examples available from the all wise uncle google. that is my point...

I'm not quite sure whether you're still insisting that the only reason someone might oppose abortion and yet support capital punishment is inscrutable craziness and that you can't see any sort of reasonable argument there.
Original post by limetang
It's not really a question of life though. It is a question of personhood. A foetus is most certainly alive, there isn't really much question about that. The question is really one of. Is it acceptable to end this life. Now almost anyone you ask would say that there isn't really anything wrong in ending the life of say a bacteria. But most would say it is wrong to end the life of a healthy adult human being.

The question here is not one of life, but one of the value of that life. It is almost universally considered wrong to end the life of an innocent person without their consent. So if the foetus can be considered a person. Then abortion is wrong.

Sorry for that long winded explanation, but I do feel that a debate on whether a foetus is alive is a) pointless (because it is alive) and b) doesn't actually answer the right question?

Sorry, just scraping in :colone: but tbh, if we saying different things have different values of life, we're going down a very odd route, because if I was in a situation where I had to choose to save Hitler or my mum, then we'll come to the conclusion that say, Hitler does not have a high value of life, so we should kill him and my mum has a high value of life, so we should let her live? Also, I feel that each fetus has a potential value, some foetuses may go on to be the next Einstein (perhaps a higher potential value) and some may go on to be the next Hitler (perhaps a lower potential value) and I think the value of the life is subjective to the woman and what she feels about it, I really don't think there should be a set ethical law regarding abortion, because it's her body and her life that is affected the most.

If this is not what you meant by value, please explain further.
(edited 10 years ago)
I genuinely don't have an opinion on the matter. I feel like at the end of the day, the fate of the foetus lies with the women, and AS such, my view is massively irrelevant. But I'm not against abortion, nor am I for it.
Reply 70
Original post by nivvy21
Sorry, just scraping in :colone: but tbh, if we saying different things have different values of life, we're going down a very odd route, because then we'll come to the conclusion that say, murderers do not have a high value of life, so we should kill them and my mum has a high value of life, so we should let her live? I think the value of the life is subjective to the woman and what she feels about it, I really don't think there should be a set ethical law regarding abortion, because it's her body and her life that is affected the most.

I respectfully disagree. Things do have different values of life. There are very few people who disagree with that (Jains for example).

Also. The mothers opinion should have absolutely no bearing on the value and personhood of a foetus.
Reply 71
Then why have sex? Have sex, take the risks. People are still falling pregnant (unwillingly) with the numerous forms of contraception... Beyond me.

Well there wouldn't be a sudden increase, it'd be anticipated. If I didn't have the money, I'd go out there and find a way to get it. So no, I wouldn't take it out its pot. And that's a stupid comparison because the plant will never grow into a being like us.

Too many people having children at young ages just because they want sex. Do it safely or don't do it at all. And there are risks with condoms so do something more, it is selfish.

Because sex is fun, relaxing and is a great way to connect with your partner? Aside from the fact there's less than a 1% chance of getting pregnant using a condom, and an even smaller chance with the pill. If you still manage to find yourself in that situation, that's what abortions are for. Stop the foetus before it becomes a human - it's as simple as that.

You wouldn't take out a plant that cost £1000 a year to maintain? Jeeze.
And it's not really a stupid comparison. It doesn't matter what it will become because the point is that you can prevent it becoming that either way. If you can't afford to maintain it, why would you keep it?
Reply 72
Original post by RVNmax
So your saying it's fine for a woman to commit suicide?

If no, then you are defying you're own statement that she can do what she wants with her own body.

There are scientists who push for earlier cur-off dates for abortion. I admit that I don't know much about it but considering these are scientists and assuming they hold evidence for such an opinion, it would be going against evidence to to conduct abortions after such a date.
(I believe they call is for 20 or 22 weeks, was on Panorama earlier this year.)

I believe this was because they argued babies born prematurely at that age had a better survival rate than they used to (which was still not good; at 22 weeks it was a 9.1% chance of survival by basically emulating the womb).

As it is at the moment only 2% of abortions are later than 20 weeks now anyway and most of them happen around the 12 week mark.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by Ripper-Roo
oh well

Yes

So killing fully grown animals is fine, but killing something that has no consciousness isn't?
Original post by limetang
I respectfully disagree. Things do have different values of life. There are very few people who disagree with that (Jains for example).

Also. The mothers opinion should have absolutely no bearing on the value and personhood of a foetus.

But, values are subjective! For example: Margaret Thatcher or Nelson Mandela, for some: they were amazing people, for others... Because values are subjective, you cant enforce a law based on values about abortion!

But, at the end of the day: it is the mother that is basically keeping the fetus alive, with her body, so I think that she should have a bigger say on whether or not the fetus should be kept alive :mad:

Sorry, I don't think I made it clear before: I didn't mean that the mother should dictate the personhood of a fetus, I meant that if the personhood of a fetus determined whether or not an abortion was carried out, she should be able to dictate the personhood of the fetus (and thus, whether or not an abortion is carried out)

I find it deeply disturbing, even contemplating a society where there is a law on abortion (even, Ireland, where abortions cannot be carried out), because the government should be able to stop you or force you to do something that in no way affects anyone other than the mother and the father (and possibly, their families)! However, I do believe there should be measures in place to prevent abortions being used as a contraception.

PS Are you male or female?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CJKay
Because sex is fun, relaxing and is a great way to connect with your partner? Aside from the fact there's less than a 1% chance of getting pregnant using a condom, and an even smaller chance with the pill. If you still manage to find yourself in that situation, that's what abortions are for. Stop the foetus before it becomes a human - it's as simple as that.

You wouldn't take out a plant that cost £1000 a year to maintain? Jeeze.
And it's not really a stupid comparison. It doesn't matter what it will become because the point is that you can prevent it becoming that either way. If you can't afford to maintain it, why would you keep it?

Well abortions should be much earlier, the limit. Much earlier.

No, if I loved it that much, but I'm stubborn anyway.

Families who can't have children but want them. They can have them.
Reply 76
Original post by danny111
So killing fully grown animals is fine, but killing something that has no consciousness isn't?

I'm not directly killing them and you need meat for a balanced diet.
Reply 77
Well abortions should be much earlier, the limit. Much earlier.

No, if I loved it that much, but I'm stubborn anyway.

Families who can't have children but want them. They can have them.

Why? What is your scientific reasoning for that? I can understand 20 weeks, because a small fraction of foetuses have become babies at the point, but "much earlier" has no basis. A foetus at 18 weeks is no more sentient than a foetus at 0 weeks.

So you want to continue putting the natural mother through another three months plus of knowing the baby they're carrying they'll likely never see again?
You can't force a woman to go through childbirth and it's as simple as that.

For families who want children but can't have them, there are plenty of unadopted children as it is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CJKay
Why? What is your scientific reasoning for that? I can understand 20 weeks, because a small fraction of foetuses have become babies at the point, but "much earlier" has no basis. A foetus at 18 weeks is no more sentient than a foetus at 0 weeks.

So you want to continue putting the natural mother through another three months plus of knowing the baby they're carrying they'll likely never see again?
You can't force a woman to go through childbirth and it's as simple as that.

For families who want children but can't have them, there are plenty of unadopted children as it is.

Well if abortion is as you said, for circumstances in which all contraception fails, it should be terminated immediately.

And no they shouldn't have a long time to think about it after that because they know they don't want the baby if they're using contraception.

Yep, they'll probably want to keep it then. Although the other side is that I think population needs to be controlled but that's not a reason for termination, prevention is better than cure.
Original post by BroolStoryCo.
Yup obviously this statement is missing the point of the debate. It's like saying "Don't like nuclear weapons? Don't make them."

Well that's a bit different, TBH, because your negligence in not making the weapons could easily lead to your own harm and destruction, at the hands of those who do. Violence and competition are a race and if you're not willing to compete as forcefully and savagely as everyone else you should be prepared to be crushed painfully.

By comparison, abortion hurts no-one but the child. So it is much more similar to the "murder" example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending