Stasy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi! I have applied to Glasgow and KCL, English literature. I have already got unconditional to Glasgow, and I'm still waiting for the decision from London, but just in case they will offer me a place. which uni is better? I like the course in KCl and London offers so many opportunities (like the Globe and etc), but what I like in Glasgow is the possibility to choose some other subjects to study too. so I think the programme is more flexible there. and it seems that Glasgow is really friendly. and they have such a beautiful building. and moerover, living in London costs rather lots... HELP!!!!!!!
MasterA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,

Both are really good universities. You have already identified the advantages of going to both university. If you want to have a more flexible course, then go for Glasgow but if you would like to London advantage, go for KCL. I personally would go for KCL because i think its location is a great advantage and it also has a very good course.
Stasy
Rep:
?
thank you so much for your kind reply yeah, still in two minds... frankly speaking, I really like the course at King's. I think it's the best I have seen. it seems to be really great. though I'm an international student, and I heard that Glasgow is really very friendly. of course London is the best location, but at the same time I wouldn't like to feel lonely there.. and what are you studying? Happy New Year! by the way, what do you think about Royal Holloway?
hslakaal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not to sound like a douche...

...but may I suggest leaving the contemplating till you get an offer? You'll still have plenty of time to make the decision after all offers are made.
Stasy
Rep:
?
good suggestion
Copperknickers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Stasy)
Hi! I have applied to Glasgow and KCL, English literature. I have already got unconditional to Glasgow, and I'm still waiting for the decision from London, but just in case they will offer me a place. which uni is better? I like the course in KCl and London offers so many opportunities (like the Globe and etc), but what I like in Glasgow is the possibility to choose some other subjects to study too. so I think the programme is more flexible there. and it seems that Glasgow is really friendly. and they have such a beautiful building. and moerover, living in London costs rather lots... HELP!!!!!!!
Having had a lot of experience with both Unis, I'd say: it entirely depends what you want from your university experience. Remember that in Scotland a degree lasts 4 years whereas in England it lasts 3. That's important to factor into your budgeting: Scotland might seem less cheap when you have an entire extra year of costs. This being said, property prices in London are sky high, whether privately rented or Uni accomodation, so if money really is an issue and you don't mind not visiting home too often, Glasgow is still probably cheaper, especially if you plan on buying alcohol.

Glasgow is not really friendlier than any other city, and besides universities are social bubbles, so you wouldn't notice if it was since you won't meet any real Glaswegians (especially since Glasgow uni is in the West End and not the centre of town, unlike KCL which is right in the centre). People at KCL are the usual mixture of Russell group London students: international students eager to make friends, Asians who spend their whole time studying, posh Southern English people, ambitious northerners, and the odd British ethnic minority. The main difference with Glasgow is that KCL has more internationals, and mainly English people instead of Scottish people. Scotland is a lot smaller than England, so you're likely to run into groups of people on your course who already know each other from school in Glasgow. But also you're likely to run into some extremely pretentious Upper class English people in KCL whom you wouldn't really find in Glasgow.

In terms of general social opportunities, both unis have a reasonably impressive range of sports groups and societies, though I'd advise you stay away from the creative writing society in KCL, and from the more hardcore drinking events in Glasgow's fresher's week. Other than that they're pretty equal. Glasgow is second only to London in the UK in terms of arts and entertainment, though unless you have a particular affection for Scottish literature you would be hard put to deny that London is a more inspiring setting for studying literature: the home city of Dickens, Shakespeare, Chaucer, and countless others, and the home university of Keats and Virigina Woolfe.
Stasy
Rep:
?
Thank you soo much for your great review of the both Universities. Frankly speaking, I'm afraid that in London I would feel rather lonely, while in Glasgow is like more campus-like I suppose. But what makes me so undecisive in terms of Glasgow is that it has a reputation of a going-out uni. I like to go out of course, but I can't say that clubs and nightlife are so important for me. so I'm afraid to feel more like outsider or smth like that. and what do you think of Edinburgh by the way?
EKay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Stasy)
Thank you soo much for your great review of the both Universities. Frankly speaking, I'm afraid that in London I would feel rather lonely, while in Glasgow is like more campus-like I suppose. But what makes me so undecisive in terms of Glasgow is that it has a reputation of a going-out uni. I like to go out of course, but I can't say that clubs and nightlife are so important for me. so I'm afraid to feel more like outsider or smth like that. and what do you think of Edinburgh by the way?
I'm going to Glasgow in September to do English lit, and have a few friends who started there this year. One of them is doing English lit and philosophy, and he is really not a going-out person but loves it there! It's such a large uni, I think that the people who go there mainly for the clubs and parties are in the minority. From what I hear, Edinburgh as a city is more aesthetically pleasing, but the vibe and night-life is better in Glasgow.
MasterA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am sure that KCL is also very friendly. Have you visited both universities? When you visit it you will get a taste of what being a student there is like and you can experience the atmosphere a bit more. Happy new year!!

I have an offer to study maths at KCL. I think Royal Holloway is also a good university but I would choose Glasgow and KCL over them.

(Original post by Stasy)
thank you so much for your kind reply yeah, still in two minds... frankly speaking, I really like the course at King's. I think it's the best I have seen. it seems to be really great. though I'm an international student, and I heard that Glasgow is really very friendly. of course London is the best location, but at the same time I wouldn't like to feel lonely there.. and what are you studying? Happy New Year! by the way, what do you think about Royal Holloway?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (719)
41.51%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (346)
19.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads