Economi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
As i'm sure many of you do, I have january exams approaching and they're now within the next two weeks. I have three maths exams which contribute to my first year grade....However my first year doesn't contribute to my final degree classification.

As is common in maths there's a certain amount of "easy" marks on a paper and at this point I'm confident I can do enough to pass the exams (40%+), which leaves me thinking whether or not I really need to bother studying?

Would I regret having a low first year grade in the coming years, bearing in mind it won't affect my classification? Also what could happen which would make me regret it?
BAD AT MATHS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't worry about it at all. I barely passed first year with 49% overall ended up with 71% in second year. Although in my uni 1st year has no baring on your degree. They only count 2nd, 3rd and 4th year.
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
An employer may ask for your grade transcript for all years. Similarly, if you intend to go on a placement (3rd year or over the summer or after graduation), they will be interested in it too.

Lack of knowledge will compound though. A lot of people who didn't do very much in the first year are having major issues in the second year because they never learned the content. It would be worth learning the stuff just for your own benefit if nothing else.
Liquid Swordsman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SillyEddy)
An employer may ask for your grade transcript for all years. Similarly, if you intend to go on a placement (3rd year or over the summer or after graduation), they will be interested in it too.

Lack of knowledge will compound though. A lot of people who didn't do very much in the first year are having major issues in the second year because they never learned the content. It would be worth learning the stuff just for your own benefit if nothing else.
Yeah this 100%
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Economi)
As i'm sure many of you do, I have january exams approaching and they're now within the next two weeks. I have three maths exams which contribute to my first year grade....However my first year doesn't contribute to my final degree classification.

As is common in maths there's a certain amount of "easy" marks on a paper and at this point I'm confident I can do enough to pass the exams (40%+), which leaves me thinking whether or not I really need to bother studying?

Would I regret having a low first year grade in the coming years, bearing in mind it won't affect my classification? Also what could happen which would make me regret it?
Technically there are no repercussions to your classification if you do well later on, but as a fourth year maths student looking back, there are two major disadvantages to low grades early on.

1. The stronger your background the better you will do later. This is true of maths more than any subject, BUT you are only halfway through your first year, so you have plenty of time to make up for it if you pass these exams and work hard.

2. If you are close to getting a job / internship / postgraduate place they may well take your first year into account, particularly if you don't have your final grade yet or just miss an offer.

Also, don't take it for granted that you will get 40% if you don't work. You probably will - it's not that hard - but this isn't school either. You are competing against people who are just as good at maths as you. Sometimes papers get scaled horrendously too.

In short: don't worry too much - don't get stressed - but don't be laid back either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (51)
65.38%
I don't have everything I need (27)
34.62%

Watched Threads