Not going to the lectures, only exams in King's College

Watch
A.Zendel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys. I want to study computer science. To be fair I can learn anything that is taught in classes by myself. Can I just go to exams instead of going to lectures? I don't want to waste time because I already know many things that are on the first 2 years of education. Also I will have to work so time is even more valuable.
1platinum
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If neg rep still existed....
leanne1996
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why don't you just pay to sit the exams then rather than the £9000 tuition fees for lectures you aren't even going to attend...
A.Zendel
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Wait, sit the exams? What do you mean? What should I google?
leanne1996
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
''Hi guys. I want to study computer science. To be fair I can learn anything that is taught in classes by myself. Can I just go to exams instead of going to lectures?''
If you are saying you will be sitting exams, but don't want to go to lectures as you can teach yourself for the exams, why would you pay £9000 pound per year for university when you can independently book to sit the exams?...
lokalokaloka
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You know computer science all by yourself but can't Google the answer to this simple question. Makes sense.
DrAndrewColes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would encourage you to attend lectures. Two main arguments, neither of which are King's specific:

1) Supposing you do already know material on the first/second year - this is admirable. Attending the lecturers will make sure you really do understand it, and understand the lecturer's take on the material - given they write the exam paper and set the coursework, there are marks at stake. So, attending lectures => better marks => higher degree mark at the end => shiny CV

2) Being pragmatic, universities do attendance monitoring, and students who repeatedly don't attend may be withdrawn from the course. So, attending lectures => actually getting the degree.

Yes, at times it can be hard as a student jugging work and study commitments - you aren't alone in this. King's design the timetable to accommodate this, timetabling free mornings and afternoons; rather than one-hour lecturers here and there which make it hard to work around. Bear in mind the opportunity for well-paid summer work, too.
colourpurple
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Troll.

You want to do this at Manchester, Imperial, LSE, where else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hslakaal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go to lectures.

You'll hear words from people who will be infinitely smarter than a lazy student.
V1ct0r
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by leanne1996)
''Hi guys. I want to study computer science. To be fair I can learn anything that is taught in classes by myself. Can I just go to exams instead of going to lectures?''
If you are saying you will be sitting exams, but don't want to go to lectures as you can teach yourself for the exams, why would you pay £9000 pound per year for university when you can independently book to sit the exams?...
I know this is a ridiculously old thread but how do you independently book to sit the exams and then get a degree from King's without paying £9000?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
16.04%
I'm not sure (8)
2.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.13%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.37%
I'm not a current university student (134)
45.73%

Watched Threads