Do you believe civil partnerships should be allowed for straight couples in The UK?

Watch
dancingpanda
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Discuss
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes because when same sex couples are allowed to marry, they will be allowed the choice of not only marriage, but still have the option for a civil partnership whereas opposite sex couples only have the choice of marriage which a lot of us aren't keen on due to social, religious (well more of the fact that marriage is related to religion and we ourselves are not religious) or any other reasons but would still like to have a legal commitment to a committed partner. I do believe there should be more than just the option of marriage, regardless of sexual orientation, as a legal union between two people because all couples are different and shouldn't be forced into the one option available just to show the world they are legally committed to their partner.

Pretty sure I made a thread on this subject before actually lol
Sparticus515
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Of course
tibbles209
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well yeah makes total sense. Can't see any reason why they shouldn't?
saffybonbon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't see why not. Same sex couples can have either, so straight couples should also be allowed to.
Walter Kovacs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The same options should be available to everyone, gender regardless, otherwise we haven't really made a huge amount of progress with marriage/civil partnership equality in the end.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I suppose they should if we want to be logically consistent with respect to our reasons for legalising gay marriage.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What exactly is the difference, in practical sense?
incipientT
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sure, why not?
Walter Kovacs
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
Practically, nothing really.

Its the sentiment behind the two that differs and the idea is that couples who reject the idea behind marriage can have a civil partnership and enjoy the legal rights and protections that come with it.
Agapelove
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dancingpanda)
Discuss

Yes. Any adult should be free to have a civil partnership or marriage. I personally believe the government should not allow only the following sexual relationships/civil partnerships:

* sexual relationship of an adult with a minor
* forced sexual relationships

It's the government's business to protect children from harm, which is why I'm against allowing children to be married or in any kind of sexual relationship with an adult.

It's also the government's business to protect its citizens from rape and from being forced/enslaved into a relationship, which is why I'm against allowing forced sexual relationships.

Other than that, I think civil partnerships should be allowed for straight and gay couples, as well as marriage. Why in the world does the government need to disallow either?
Walter Kovacs
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Agapelove)
Yes. Any adult should be free to have a civil partnership or marriage. I personally believe the government should not allow only the following sexual relationships/civil partnerships:

* sexual relationship of an adult with a minor
* forced sexual relationships

It's the government's business to protect children from harm, which is why I'm against allowing children to be married or in any kind of sexual relationship with an adult.

It's also the government's business to protect its citizens from rape and from being forced/enslaved into a relationship, which is why I'm against allowing forced sexual relationships.

Other than that, I think civil partnerships should be allowed for straight and gay couples, as well as marriage. Why in the world does the government need to disallow either?
How do you feel about incestuous relationships?

Edit: I think the evidence about infant mortality and birth defect rates is strong enough to also ban these.
Agapelove
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Walter Kovacs)
How do you feel about incestuous relationships?
Good question. I didn't even think about them. I do feel they are harmful and should not be allowed either. Before you ask, I also think sexual relationships between humans and other species are wrong and are harmful, so I think they should be illegal too.

So, my list of what I think the government should not allow is larger now:

1. No marriage/civil partnership of adult with a child.
2. No forced relationship where someone is enslaved to that person
3. No incestuous relationships
4. No bestial relationships

I do think governments should allow civil partnerships and marriage for both straight and gay adults.
Walter Kovacs
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good question. I didn't even think about them. I do feel they are harmful and should not be allowed either. Before you ask, I also think sexual relationships between humans and other species are wrong and are harmful, so I think they should be illegal too.

So, my list of what I think the government should not allow is larger now:

1. No marriage/civil partnership of adult with a child.
2. No forced relationship where someone is enslaved to that person
3. No incestuous relationships
4. No bestial relationships

I do think governments should allow civil partnerships and marriage for both straight and gay adults.
I would agree with all of that. I hadn't really considered bestiality with regard to marriage/ civil partnership, but now remember I once saw something about a man and a goat. :confused:
Agapelove
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Edit: I think the evidence about infant mortality and birth defect rates is strong enough to also ban these.
Agreed. I also think it hurts the psyches of the people involved.

Also, in many incestuous relationships, it often begins with an older relative sexually abusing a younger relative. The younger is generally not able or doesn't feel able to stop it.
Agapelove
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would agree with all of that. I hadn't really considered bestiality with regard to marriage/ civil partnership, but now remember I once saw something about a man and a goat. :confused:
Yeah I don't understand that.

Bestiality is a horrible crime, in my opinion.
Liamnut
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, I think we should remove civil partnerships altogether and just have marriage, which two men, two women or a man and a women can participate in.
Liamnut
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
My thoughts exactly, we should just scrap one of them. I'm presuming (possibly incorrectly) that civil partnership would be the easiest one to remove.
Liamnut
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah I don't understand that.

Bestiality is a horrible crime, in my opinion.
I liken it to child abuse. I would generalise and say relationships which aren't going to cause others harm and both parties are consenting to should be allowed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (28)
13.46%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.73%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.33%
I need help with my personal statement (86)
41.35%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.44%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads