The Student Room Group

How do you move in with your boyfriend/girlfriend?

I'm seeking some advice regarding cohabitation with my boyfriend. We're currently in a semi long-distance relationship (because i'm at uni and he is not) but have spoken about the possibility of one day moving in together.

I've never lived with a boyfriend before but am aware that its obviously a big decision and not something you can take lightly. How do you know when both of you are 100% ready to make the move? How do you go about making that move- how do you deal with disapproving families, for instance? I'm concerned my family won't want me to settle down cos i'm fairly young.

Even though we're not going to make any plans for at least another year or two, its inevitably going to cross my mind from time to time. I see moving in together as a light at the end of the sometimes dark tunnel that long-distance can be.
Reply 1
Its perservere with a weekend relationship for a year or two. See if Fridays are heaven and Sundays hell and if you still love each other at the end of this time. If the answer is yes and you have also had a couple of successful holidays together, then you are ready to try living together.
Reply 2
My bf got his flat in Feb 2011 and he asked me the day he got his keys to move in but I kept making excuses because tbh I was nervous. He dropped little hints and even got a key cut for me and said things like if I said I didn't have enough clothes with me when I was staying over "You wouldn't have that problem if you just moved in" which was pretty much true because I was staying there literally every night of the week, I was just a bit nervous of moving in officially.

A month or so later I bit the bullet and went over to my mum's and collected my things. My mum and my bf weren't the best of friends and for a while she tried to stop me moving in but she realised at the end of the day I was big enough and ugly enough to make my own choices.

I have been living here almost 3 yrs now with him and we have our ups and downs but tbh, nothing beats living together. Its so much easier on a lot of fronts such as romantically and financially.

If you aren't ready to move in with him yet, that's fine. Don't rush because it is a big step, whether you are ready or not!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending