This discussion is closed.
9MmBulletz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
Interesting analysis.

I definitely remember Robben's influence now. If I remember rightly he was injured at the start of the season and Chelsea had started pretty well but were grinding out 1-0 results early season, until he came in and he became the player to as you say be the flat track bully like Ronaldo at United. In the context of winning the league, flat track bullies are pretty important because they avoid you having the grim 2 points dropped away at a smaller team when it finishes 0-0 days. I remember a few seasons when Arsenal were starting to decline, when they would be challenging for the title up to Feb and then would fade away because of these kind of bad results against Birmingham, West Brom etc.

What happened with Robben and Mourinho....it seemed like in the end Jose didn't rate him and he became peripheral in that last season. I remember Jose's last season you became very much a team dependent on Drogba.

I think City are very close to being runaway dominators of the Premier League because their team is packed full of flat track bully type players and at home they bully even the top teams too. The only issue they have is a tendency to be flaky away from home, once that's resolved they will be unstoppable.
Yeah I have no idea why Mourinho didn't rate him. I mean look at where he is now- it was probably our biggest mistake and we hadn't really had that type of player until we brought Hazard in. Robben would've got us 1-2 more league titles if he had stayed IMO. WOrst yet was that Robben was sold, then Mourinho left a month later.

I agree with what you say about City, especially at home. They are favourites on paper. But they've got 10 away games at the back end of this season. Among them are Newcastle, Spurs, United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and Swansea. They'd do well to win the league considering that.

For some reason I see Arsenal or Chelsea winning the league. We're both grinding out results and City look like they could easily fall/collapse. I find teams that seem to grind out results rarely have bad patches of form. They may go 2-3 games without victory, but that normally takes the form in 2 draws and a loss which isn't the end of the world. City's away fixtures don't convince me that they're going to walk to the league title.

Edit: I've just seen Arsenal's February- April fixture list. Looks like hell. Good luck

Name:  arsenalhell.png
Views: 31
Size:  38.6 KB
wazza778
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
Interesting stat I saw today on BBC that Arsenal have been the best performing Premiership team in the calendar year 2013.

Points (Games)

82 (38): Arsenal
77 (37): Man City
77 (38): Chelsea
74 (37): Man Utd
70 (37): Tottenham
69 (37): Liverpool
67 (37): Everton
54 (37): Newcastle
51 (37): Southampton
43 (37): A Villa
39 (37): Swansea
38 (37): Norwich
38 (37): Fulham
38 (38): West Ham
34 (37): Stoke
34 (37): West Brom
31 (37): Sunderland

A few other observations that stand out from there:

- There's a distinct gap between the top 7 and the rest

- Villa have done a bit better than people think considering they started 2013 in massive crisis and they are back in crisis now.

- The sacking of Steve Clarke which was seen as very harsh doesn't look as unreasonable when you see West Brom have been poor over a long time apart from a few good results against top teams

- Tottenham have done alright too, actually getting more points than Liverpool, I think AVB might have been jettisoned unfairly

Now I know a calendar year does not correspond with a season but it is a barometer of form over a season length period of time and so it puts Arsenal's title challenge in perspective: whereas its reasonable to say Liverpool could be a team in good form rather than a title ready team, Arsenal have sustained their form for a long time now. They haven't done well against the top teams but that also sheds light on how consistent they have been against everyone else. In fact if they had got a few results against the other top teams they would be right up at the level they were at their peak in the early 2000s.

A couple of other interesting stats:

In the last three years where Arsenal had Fabregas, Nasri and Van Persie in the team they averaged 1.89 points per game. In the season where they had Van Persie but not the other two (when RVP was the best striker in the league) they averaged 1.84 points per game. Since he left they have averaged 2.02 points per game.

It's pretty remarkable improvement that Arsenal shed their three best players but have improved so much. I know that the other top teams have fallen down in standard a bit but Arsenal haven't even been beating them: so it shows really how Arsenal have improved relative to the rest of teams in the division.

Also whats interesting is that Fabregas, Nasri and RVP have had mixed form since leaving - they have won trophies that they wouldn't have done at Arsenal but Fabregas and Nasri have not been the integral players they were a few years ago. RVP is a different story, he had a superb first half to last season and was probably the decisive player in taking the title to Old Trafford but since then he's not quite been what he was.
What a team the Invincibles were. To me personally a golden age of football. My team got thumped 2 years on the trot in the FA cup. But what a time for football. I cannot feel the passion coming back. You have Steve Bruce saying we have to learn. Anyprice rollthedice getting another job. It will never be the same.
sufys12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by wazza778)
What a team the Invincibles were. To me personally a golden age of football. My team got thumped 2 years on the trot in the FA cup. But what a time for football. I cannot feel the passion coming back. You have Steve Bruce saying we have to learn. Anyprice rollthedice getting another job. It will never be the same.
It's a 7 year old post. Please refrain from reviving old threads.
Last edited by sufys12; 1 week ago
Gaddafi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
2013 was a while ago mate!
wazza778
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Gaddafi)
2013 was a while ago mate!
Your point?
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your point?
You are not supposed to revive old threads.
wazza778
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You are not supposed to revive old threads.
Without threads you have nothing.
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Without threads you have nothing.
I'm not sure what you mean? I just didn't want you to get a warning on your account.
wazza778
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm not sure what you mean? I just didn't want you to get a warning on your account.
Cool.
wazza778
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ok. Sorry.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (75)
4.73%
Uncertainty around my education (243)
15.33%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
10.98%
Lack of purpose or motivation (224)
14.13%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (71)
4.48%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (92)
5.8%
Loneliness (139)
8.77%
Financial worries (56)
3.53%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (71)
4.48%
Exposure to negative news/social media (76)
4.79%
Lack of real life entertainment (82)
5.17%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (137)
8.64%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (145)
9.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed