The Student Room Group

Are exams a good measure of (academic) Intelligence or memory?

Some interesting questions:

1) What is Intelligence (ie what makes a person intelligent, is it constant, does it change etc) ?
2) Does it exist?
3) Are exams a good measure of Intelligence?

Extra question: How should we change exams?

Answer (and justify) and discuss please :smile:

The official definition of intelligence, according to thefreedictionary.com:

a. The capacity to acquire and apply knowledge.

b. The faculty of thought and reason.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Intelligence is the ability to discern truth from lies and manipulation.

Exams in the format which we are accustomed to are nothing more than read and regurgitate.
Original post by Extremotroph
Intelligence is the ability to discern truth from lies and manipulation.

Exams in the format which we are accustomed to are nothing more than read and regurgitate.

Hmm, that's an interesting definition. Not many people can do that though?

That's what I hate about exams, it doesn't check understanding of the topic, or passion for the topic or even, the person's intelligence. It favours those who have a strong memory and/or those who are good at exam techniques

Do you think that exams should be changed and how so?
Original post by nivvy21
Are exams a good measure of Intelligence?

Are they claimed or intended to be that? I've never met anyone setting an exam who would have suggested that his purpose in doing so was to 'measure intelligence'.

Good performance in examinations confirms a person as possessed of (academic) intelligence, since this is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it. But anyone supposing that poor performance in exam conditions of itself confirms a person as unintelligent is surely quite wrong in it.
Original post by cambio wechsel
Are they claimed or intended to be that? I've never met anyone setting an exam who would have suggested that his purpose in doing so was to 'measure intelligence'.

Good performance in examinations confirms a person as possessed of (academic) intelligence, since this is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it. But anyone supposing that poor performance in exam conditions of itself confirms a person as unintelligent is surely quite wrong in it.

Well, I think exams are pointless if they just require a strong memory?
Also, I meant what you said: are exams a good measure of academic intelligence.
Exactly, this is what I mean: if poor performance in exam conditions of itself does not confirm a person as unintelligent (which I think it does, I feel exam performance are being used wrongly to determine people's intelligence) and so, this suggests that exams are not measuring academic intelligence and thus, what is its purpose?
Reply 5
Exams are a good measure of academic intelligence in a specific subject. If one doesn't do well in his or her GCSE or A-Level, say, biology, for no apparent reason - i.e. she put in the effort, tried her best, no social issues etc. - than by all means, she is not academically good in biology. I'm afraid that further study isn't much different. However, this doesn't mean she isn't good in other subjects/fields.

Common sense intelligence? Exams don't matter a thing.

(just to prevent a future reference to Einstein not having done formal schooling as kid or something along those lines, mind you - those geniuses usually excelled in exams of that subject. Einstein himself achieved exceptional grades in entrance exams for maths and physics, however failed miserably on general exams, for example)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nivvy21
Well, I think exams are pointless if they just require a strong memory

I think so too. But I don't think (as you seem to) that exams need only require that.

Original post by nivvy21

Exactly, this is what I mean: if poor performance in exam conditions of itself does not confirm a person as unintelligent (which I think it does, I feel exam performance are being used wrongly to determine people's intelligence) and so, this suggests that exams are not measuring academic intelligence and thus, what is its purpose?

Again, I don't wholly agree.

If I've got a test for a virus which never gives a false positive, that is not a pointless test.
Original post by hslakaal
Exams are a good measure of academic intelligence in a specific subject. If one doesn't do well in his or her GCSE or A-Level, say, biology, for no apparent reason - i.e. she put in the effort, tried her best, no social issues etc. - than by all means, she is not academically good in biology. I'm afraid that further study isn't much different. However, this doesn't mean she isn't good in other subjects/fields.

Ooh, that is a good way to explain it! :clap2: Although, I did mean academic intelligence, regarding that particular subject, not general intelligence. But, again: I think many people don't do well for no apparent reason and it is purely down to lack of a strong memory or exam technique. This suggests that the education system favours those who have the aforementioned and thus, not really a good measure of academic intelligence
I think so too. But I don't think (as you seem to) that exams need only require that.

Why don't you think that exams need only require that and what does it require?

Again, I don't wholly agree.

If I've got a test for a virus which never gives a false positive, that is not a pointless test

I'm sorry, I understand what you mean, for example: a TB skin test, but please explain it regarding this topic (I'm a bit slow).
Reply 9
Original post by nivvy21
Ooh, that is a good way to explain it! :clap2: Although, I did mean academic intelligence, regarding that particular subject, not general intelligence. But, again: I think many people don't do well for no apparent reason and it is purely down to lack of a strong memory or exam technique. This suggests that the education system favours those who have the aforementioned and thus, not really a good measure of academic intelligence

Here's the thing:

memory is the basis for academic intelligence. Exams are only really present to test the basics. Where you do original, creative work, say like a doctorate, you don't have exams anymore really. The exams are memory based, which tests the perfectly suitable level of academic intelligence being tested: the really basic stuff which just is memorisation. Put it this way: you once had to memorise that apple is spelt a.p.p.l.e. There is no way else to learn that, nor to prove that you know that besides just memorizing that rule. That's what a lot of exams in the education system does. If for some reason you know beyond the expected level (a progeny), like say you knew the etymology of apple, then the exams would be easy enough for you anyways, since you would not have known the latin (or something) origins of the word apple without having known that the word apple is spelt in a certain way and that it means a certain thing.
Original post by nivvy21
I'm sorry, I understand what you mean, for example: a TB skin test, but please explain it regarding this topic (I'm a bit slow).

I am the admissions department at Bigtown University. We need 3000 students in our entry cohort and want that they should all be academically intelligent. We trust to the idea that securing >ABB at A level is guarantee of this and are able to secure our 3000 strong intake through using this filter.

Now possibly there are thousands of students who don't get AAB but are as academically intelligent, the false negatives. But this doesn't matter for specifically our purposes, just as long as there are no false positives rolling up in Freshers' week.
Reply 11
Exams don't messure intelligence, they simply show that someone has the knowledge and capibiry to embark in further education or do particular job. So, I think exams are, for the most part, achieving their purpose.
Original post by hslakaal
Here's the thing:

memory is the basis for academic intelligence. Exams are only really present to test the basics. Where you do original, creative work, say like a doctorate, you don't have exams anymore really. The exams are memory based, which tests the perfectly suitable level of academic intelligence being tested: the really basic stuff which just is memorisation. Put it this way: you once had to memorise that apple is spelt a.p.p.l.e. There is no way else to learn that, nor to prove that you know that besides just memorizing that rule. That's what a lot of exams in the education system does. If for some reason you know beyond the expected level (a progeny), like say you knew the etymology of apple, then the exams would be easy enough for you anyways, since you would not have known the latin (or something) origins of the word apple without having known that the word apple is spelt in a certain way and that it means a certain thing.

So, you're saying in order to be academically intelligent, you need to have a good memory and exams test the memory. What I'm saying is that while this is an appropriate method and a valid claim, exams should test the understanding, instead of the memory.

But, the thing with testing memory as a basis of academic intelligence, is that while the person may have memorised something for the exam, they'd forget it soon after, so when they do forget it, are they still academically intelligent?

For example: I memorised my whole Spanish GCSE oral fluently and I got an A* for the oral, but now: I don't remember a thing and that A* suggests I am academically intelligent regarding Spanish or I can speak Spanish?

Hmm, to be honest, no one memorised the spelling of apple, but learnt how to read?

I can understand that there is no other way to learn or prove it. But, I'm saying that exams don't measure academic intelligence and this is not right, not we SHOULD change exams (as I realise there is no other effective way).
I am the admissions department at Bigtown University. We need 3000 students in our entry cohort and want that they should all be academically intelligent. We trust to the idea that securing >ABB at A level is guarantee of this and are able to secure our 3000 strong intake through using this filter.

Now possibly there are thousands of students who don't get AAB but are as academically intelligent, the false negatives. But this doesn't matter for specifically our purposes, just as long as there are no false positives rolling up in Freshers' week.

But there are false positives, no? If people memorise things and are excellent at exams, but do not retain any information regarding the subject afterwards, are they not false positives?

This example illustrates the disadavantages:

If people who are academically intelligent fail exams, because they have a bad memory and/or are bad at exam technique, they miss out on university places?
Reply 14
Original post by nivvy21
But there are false positives, no? If people memorise things and are excellent at exams, but do not retain any information regarding the subject afterwards, are they not false positives?

This example illustrates the disadavantages:

If people who are academically intelligent fail exams, because they have a bad memory and/or are bad at exam technique, they miss out on university places?

If they have a bad memory and thence, for example, don't understand A level economics, they will find degree level economics extremely tiresome. It follows that they shouldn't be doing the course.
Original post by Liamnut
If they have a bad memory and thence, for example, don't understand A level economics, they will find degree level economics extremely tiresome. It follows that they shouldn't be doing the course.

Ahh, true, thank you :clap2: (not all being sarcastic here, even if it comes across that way)
Original post by nivvy21

As a matter of contingent circumstance there might be false positives in some instances. If there are, that is a badly-set exam and what we are looking at here is a problem with exam-setters and not with exams qua exams.

I've sat exams that no-one could have passed if not academically intelligent, exams that will have generated no false positives.
As a matter of contingent circumstance there might be false positives in some instances. If there are, that is a badly-set exam and what we are looking at here is a problem with exam-setters and not with exams qua exams.

I've sat exams that no-one could have passed if not academically intelligent, exams that will have generated no false positives.

Yes, but false positives are still being generated? And yes, we should scrutinise the exam setters, you're right
Reply 18
Original post by nivvy21
So, you're saying in order to be academically intelligent, you need to have a good memory and exams test the memory. What I'm saying is that while this is an appropriate method and a valid claim, exams should test the understanding, instead of the memory.

But, the thing with testing memory as a basis of academic intelligence, is that while the person may have memorised something for the exam, they'd forget it soon after, so when they do forget it, are they still academically intelligent?

For example: I memorised my whole Spanish GCSE oral fluently and I got an A* for the oral, but now: I don't remember a thing and that A* suggests I am academically intelligent regarding Spanish or I can speak Spanish?

Hmm, to be honest, no one memorised the spelling of apple, but learnt how to read?

I can understand that there is no other way to learn or prove it. But, I'm saying that exams don't measure academic intelligence and this is not right, not we SHOULD change exams (as I realise there is no other effective way).

I'm saying that exams test the academic ability of those it was designed to test: secondary school and early tertiary. You'll find that exams do not exist for PhD students (in the sense of exams that you're thinking of, I believe. Perhaps it'd help if you could tell me what level of education you are at? I ask only to help highlight how different things are further up the academic chain if you are not aware, not to belittle you or anything of that sort :smile: ) There is no understanding to be had at GCSE or A-Level, and any that appears to requrie understanding is purely superficial. With the exception of creative subjects (art and whatnot, since I have never done any secondary exams on those), all the subjects that you learn at secondary level doesn't require you to demonstrate that you understand the intrinsic nature of things, but rather that "X does Y". Even in languages. You learn the grammatical structure, and slot things in, which again, is essentially memorisation, and a tiny bit of application in swapping words out, which the exams do ask.

tl:dr - the only academic intelligence that exists at lower levels is memorisation.

You were until you forgot it. If Stephen Hawking suffered a major stroke or had Alzheimer's, then by all means, he's not intelligent anymore
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nivvy21
Yes, but false positives are still being generated?

I didn't say that.

Original post by nivvy21
And yes, we should scrutinise the exam setters, you're right

Or that.

If you're thinking of GCSE and A-level, they better filter-out than in, is in large part what they're designed to do. But that shouldn't be true of examinations at the university level: no-one should there be setting an exam that admits of candidates prospering without a show of analysis and understanding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending