Is it true you can't do English + Eng Lit at the same time?

Watch
jokingrowling
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am an international private candidate hoping to do English, Eng Lit, RS and Gov & Politics for A-Levels.

There aren't a lot of exam board choices in the country I'm in, and the exam centre I plan on joining only does Edexcel. That's fine with me though, since Edexcel carries all the subjects I want to do anyway.

However, I was just speaking with an adviser from my exam centre, and she told me I couldn't do English and Eng Lit at the same time. "If you are using us, and therefore Edexcel you can't do both English and Eng Lit - it's one or the other." were her exact words.

Is this true? I know of tons of people who were able to do English + Eng Lit for their A-Levels. Since she worded it this way, I was wondering if this was unique to Edexcel, aka I would need the two subjects to be from different exam boards if I wished to do both subjects. If so, I might need to switch exam centres, possibly to one in another country, which would be a total pain in the ass!

Anyone know of anything? Thanks!
Pkysam
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AlphaNick)
Not necessarily, my school offers 'English Language and Literature', while also offering just lit. it depends on the institution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're describing a single a-level that combines language and literature, and this is often offered. However I believe it is standard practice not to allow students to take two separate a-levels in subjects that have a huge amount of crossover like this. OP would be well advised to consider one A level in English and then another in a different subject and I imagine that's what the adviser they saw was trying to suggest, though perhaps not very clearly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
jokingrowling
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks. Anyone out there got into a good uni doing these two subjects at the same time during A-Level?
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One of my friends did Lang & Lit combined which was worth two A Levels. This was a few years ago though, they've probably changed the rules since then.
Pkysam
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
One of my friends did Lang & Lit combined which was worth two A Levels. This was a few years ago though, they've probably changed the rules since then.
Unless you can produce a link to an exam board offering this supposed "worth 2 a-levels" course I am afraid I am left only able to politely suggest your friend must be mistaken. You can do a single a-level in lang and lit combined, and this will almost certainly be what your friend did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pkysam
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm well I take it back, there seem to be some dodgy "double award" a-levels in health and social care and business etc but I can't find so far find any evidence of one in English. Either way I stand by my advice that it is likely to put you at a disadvantage in university applications even if it was allowed

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.82%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.45%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (37)
16.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads