The Student Room Group

Rescheduling interviews

Hi All,

Need a little advice:
I'm awaiting any invites to interview from my remaining three medical schools. Over the holidays I was invited to go out to the US for a sports event for a week in late February. I've rung two of my medical schools who said it's fine etc. But, I haven't been able to get a hold of Barts. They say they would be unable to reschedule any interviews unless there are 'exceptional circumstances' (not really sure if a sports event counts as one). The dates I would be away would clash with some interview dates.

Any advice would be appreciated, incase they don't get back to office till the 6th, which would be too late!

Reply 1
No, it is not exceptional. My guess is they would be unlikely to reschedule.
Original post by Hens48
Hi All,

Need a little advice:
I'm awaiting any invites to interview from my remaining three medical schools. Over the holidays I was invited to go out to the US for a sports event for a week in late February. I've rung two of my medical schools who said it's fine etc. But, I haven't been able to get a hold of Barts. They say they would be unable to reschedule any interviews unless there are 'exceptional circumstances' (not really sure if a sports event counts as one). The dates I would be away would clash with some interview dates.

Any advice would be appreciated, incase they don't get back to office till the 6th, which would be too late!

I am still confused....have they already offered you the interview or do you have a very large ego to assume you will gain them?!?
If you're in another country at the time to participate in the sport event they'll probably let you reschedule, if you're just going to watch then they might not be as lenient
Reply 4
You tried to rearrange interviews that you haven't even got yet? Wow.
Original post by Gibber96
You tried to rearrange interviews that you haven't even got yet? Wow.

Original post by DoctorInTraining
I am still confused....have they already offered you the interview or do you have a very large ego to assume you will gain them?!?

He's planning for all eventualities. He wants to make sure that he doesn't shoot himself in the foot by being away at a possible interview date, and ultimately, it is a wise precaution: how would you feel if you only got 1 interview invite and it was in that week and couldn't be rescheduled?

He's being sensible. You always need to plan ahead so you're not caught out.
Original post by Dr. Django
He's planning for all eventualities. He wants to make sure that he doesn't shoot himself in the foot by being away at a possible interview date, and ultimately, it is a wise precaution: how would you feel if you only got 1 interview invite and it was in that week and couldn't be rescheduled?

He's being sensible. You always need to plan ahead so you're not caught out.

Unless he is playing sport on an international level (e.g. representing Team GB) I can't see the university rescheduling unless they are feeling particularly compassionate.

If he got an interview in that week that could not be rearranged....it simply comes down to this....

What do you want more - a sport event in the US or training to be a doctor in the UK?!?

Personally I would skip the event and use the time to prep for the interview - if you are put in this dilemma.
Original post by DoctorInTraining
Unless he is playing sport on an international level (e.g. representing Team GB) I can't see the university rescheduling unless they are feeling particularly compassionate.

If he got an interview in that week that could not be rearranged....it simply comes down to this....

What do you want more - a sport event in the US or training to be a doctor in the UK?!?

Personally I would skip the event and use the time to prep for the interview - if you are put in this dilemma.

I agree with you, I probably wouldn't go to the event either. I was just defending the guy against people saying he was being egotistical and arrogant by trying to ensure his schedule fits together. Conversely, its most probable that he wont have an interview on these dates, so he could miss out on USA for no reason. I think he's taking a decent approach
Original post by Dr. Django
I agree with you, I probably wouldn't go to the event either. I was just defending the guy against people saying he was being egotistical and arrogant by trying to ensure his schedule fits together. Conversely, its most probable that he wont have an interview on these dates, so he could miss out on USA for no reason. I think he's taking a decent approach

It wasn't the dilemma but more the tone in which it was written that caused my response.
Reply 9
Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Certainly didn't mean the tone to be anything other than an 'in case' scenario :colondollar:, was just looking for an objective opinion.
Reply 10
****Warning**** Large ego at large.****Warning****
****Warning**** Large ego at large.****Warning****
****Warning**** Large ego at large.****Warning********Warning**** Large ego at large.****Warning***

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending