How can I recover files from a formatted USB?

Watch
Joan5626
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys! I'm in a lot of trouble right now and I'm hoping that all you computer experts can help me out. I formatted my USB and lost all my important files. I mean they did not seem important at the time so i continued using it a bit after I formatted the USB.

I really need to recover the files. So if anyone knows a really good (free) program that recover files from a FORMATTED USB not one that were deleted, then I would VERY n=much appreciate it!!
CJKay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Did you hard or soft/quick format it, and what filesystem was on it?
Sparticus515
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you've used it again it's not looking good for your old files. When you say you used it again how much data did you put on it?
Joan5626
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sparticus515)
If you've used it again it's not looking good for your old files. When you say you used it again how much data did you put on it?
Then I'm doomed. But all my files on it now only add up to 591 MB, if that even helps.
Joan5626
Rep:
?
(Original post by CJKay)
Did you hard or soft/quick format it, and what filesystem was on it?
I think I quick formatted it. The files were corrupted so it asked me to format it and I did. I think the filesystem is FAT.
Flexa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Download Recuva from Piriform LTD, Make sure your USB is connected, and scan, goodluck.
Joan5626
Rep:
?
(Original post by Flexa)
Download Recuva from Piriform LTD, Make sure your USB is connected, and scan, goodluck.
Thanks for your suggestion. But I tried it and it only recovered files that I deleted from the USB, not the files that were on it before it was formatted.
Flexa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Joan5626)
Thanks for your suggestion. But I tried it and it only recovered files that I deleted from the USB, not the files that were on it before it was formatted.
did you quick format?
Joan5626
Rep:
?
(Original post by Flexa)
did you quick format?
Yea I did. Is that bad?
Flexa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yea I did. Is that bad?
If you quick formatted, and saved files onto the freshly new USB Stick, your files are probably lost.

sorry.
kumori
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you make a .iso of the USB I can have a look at it with forensic recovery tools if you want (currently studying computer forensics) however I'm not sure if I will be able to recover anything that you need but it may be worth a try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you've put new files on it then your old files are gone forever.
SnapThomas
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It’s better to go with a paid good recovery software like Remo Recover instead of losing the data completely because freeware is not trust worthy
rmhumphries
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You have to go to the options, and check "scan for non-deleted files" or similar, on the second tab iirc. I believe there is an explanation by the option you want, saying it is for when you have formatted the drive.

(Original post by SnapThomas)
It’s better to go with a paid good recovery software like Remo Recover instead of losing the data completely because freeware is not trust worthy
Why is freeware not trust worthy?
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SnapThomas)
*******s.

Some of the best software out there is FOSS/Freeware. About 95% of the tools I use professionally are custom written or FOSS. Recuva comes highly recommended by myself (I'm a data recovery and forensics analyst) as well as a large number of regular contributors to the TSR Tech forum.
EasyReppin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Tesydisk & Photorec works well and it's freeware. And this is very trustworthy. Ignore stupid comments above.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ActualRealJamz)
USBs tend to be flash-based rather than disk-based (it's a case of SSD vs HDD).
Formatting, or even deleting, from flash memory tends to completely destroy the data: rather than the normal scrambling that a hard disk does. Depending on the original filesystem installed your data is highly likely to have been lost permanently.
Not entirely true. USB sticks, while a flash media, aren't as sophisticated as SSDs - they don't have active hardware level maintenance technologies like TRIM etc built on to them to overwrite the data. FAT formatted USB sticks may even record data onto them in a sequential manner, as opposed to the wear-levelled way that an SSD records data.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kumori
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I offered to try to use professional tools to see if I could recover them for the OP and no reply, so I'm guessing they are no longer interested in recovering the files.
Joan5626
Rep:
?
(Original post by kumori)
I offered to try to use professional tools to see if I could recover them for the OP and no reply, so I'm guessing they are no longer interested in recovering the files.
Im soo sorry! I was trying to figure out how to make an iso of the USB..
kumori
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im soo sorry! I was trying to figure out how to make an iso of the USB..
Oh ok, I'll message you tomorrow to let you know if you haven't already.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (47)
24.35%
Less motivated (146)
75.65%

Watched Threads