Help me choose a course Watch

Randomuser11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello there, I'll try to keep this short and simple. What I wanna be in life, is a video editor. Now, when I say video editor, I mean a digital video editor, you know, those guys who did all the intros, special effects, anything related to what you actually see on your tv/computer. This is different from a film maker, I don't want to be the guy who makes movies by recording them, I want to be the guy who does all the editing on the computer. For now as a hobby I enjoy doing things in programs like After Effects and Sony Vegas.
Now, I know you obviously can't do a university course just to be a video editor, just like you can't do a course for messing around with Photoshop - you do a graphics design course for that which includes a range of things. So I was thinking, what would be the course closest to what I want to be in life? Is it not a course called "Animation"? An Animation course does include a lot of video editing, does include usage of After Effects, but of course it also includes things like 3D modeling, making those models you made work by making them animate. All of this would be helpful to me as a video editor as when I can create my own content, even more possibilities to what I can do as an video editor.
The other option that seems close by subject's name is a course usually called "Film production". Now a course like this mostly includes things like script writing, learning how to adjust lighting in real life, cameras, how to record, mostly physical stuff - of course there is some digital work, but overall I don't think it related nowhere near as much to what I wanna do and be able to do in life.

Could someone give me their thought and opinion, am I right to choose Animation? Thanks for reading!
TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Randomuser11
Rep:
?
Any opinions and help please? Only 15 days to apply. Thanks
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Film Production or Media Studies is what comes to mind.
JackBlack
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah i'd go for animation, because you learn how to apply digital effects which you can then apply to film The other course seems to be more about the production side of film rather than specifically editing
Randomuser11
Rep:
?
Yea that's my thought too that Animation seems better, just wanted to hear it from someone else too, thank you.
Gamebreakers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Any media related course with "Production" in the title will involve not only creating films but editing them. Each project you edit will be done in a different edit style. When I talk about edit style I'm talking about pace of editing, use of effects, dramatic cuts etc.

You will also have the chance to use programs like after effects to create compositions as well as special effects to be used in your created content whether this be a simple show intro or bumper to stuff like broken glass and blood splatter effects.

You will also get a chance to use photoshop to create promotional material for your content. ( Film posters, DVD covers ,etc.)

these production courses can be stuff like, TV Production, Film Production, Creative Media Production, Digital Media Production to name just a few

Animation course on the other hand will teach editing skills but as said you will also have to complete projects in 3D Modelling and Stop Motion Animation.

If you solely want to edit special effects then I would go with an Animation or Visual Effects and Motion Graphics Course as these will focus on Special Effects.
Randomuser11
Rep:
?
I see, that makes sense. Think I will go with Animation then. It's like, knowing I will be taught Animation that will give me knowledge to create my own Animated shows for example greatly fits in with video editing as then if I was to let's say -make a TV ad or an intro for a video-game for, I could not only do all the motion effects, but I could also create my own concept for the ad itself rather than use outside sources - for example my own 3D models to interact within the video. The TV/Film production courses as you described seem more about the whole concept of producing films/movies, from the recording, setting up the cameras, lightings, to video editing it all on computers, where I want to consecrate purely on the editing part. Thanks for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (33)
11.07%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.36%
No, but I want to start (111)
37.25%
No, I am unable to (64)
21.48%
No, I chose not to (80)
26.85%