Oliver Queen
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Im having a miserable third year and disappointed to be honest. I may not get the required grades I need.

Has anyone dropped out third year and then transferred to the OU with 240 credits and then finished their level 3 at the Open University?

Its my understanding that if you do this only your third level credits are taken into account when classifying your degree so id need to work extra hard at that year which I'm willing to do.

Reason being is my parents are moving abroad and I'm depressed and its hard to pull through. I can move abroad if things go wrong, transfer 240 credits and redo the year and get an Open Degree or something from the OU and be happy. Of course financially its going to cost me more but id rather that than be depressed and miserable.

Any ideas on this? Anyone done this?
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Oliver Queen)
Im having a miserable third year and disappointed to be honest. I may not get the required grades I need.

Has anyone dropped out third year and then transferred to the OU with 240 credits and then finished their level 3 at the Open University?

Its my understanding that if you do this only your third level credits are taken into account when classifying your degree so id need to work extra hard at that year which I'm willing to do.

Reason being is my parents are moving abroad and I'm depressed and its hard to pull through. I can move abroad if things go wrong, transfer 240 credits and redo the year and get an Open Degree or something from the OU and be happy. Of course financially its going to cost me more but id rather that than be depressed and miserable.

Any ideas on this? Anyone done this?
It might be worthwhile getting in touch with the OU as early as possible, to ensure that all of your university credit is transferable. Otherwise, you might have to do some extra study to ensure you meet the requirements of the OU degree.

You might still be able to get a named degree even though you are transferring.
Oliver Queen
Rep:
?
(Original post by addylad)
It might be worthwhile getting in touch with the OU as early as possible, to ensure that all of your university credit is transferable. Otherwise, you might have to do some extra study to ensure you meet the requirements of the OU degree.

You might still be able to get a named degree even though you are transferring.
I'll see how my results pan out first from my Jan exams and if they're as bad as I suspect due to illness and other circumstances then ill contact them to see about redoing my third year starting in Sept 14.
Lambert87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll see how my results pan out first from my Jan exams and if they're as bad as I suspect due to illness and other circumstances then ill contact them to see about redoing my third year starting in Sept 14.
What is your degree in? What would you transfer to??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oliver Queen
Rep:
?
(Original post by kjglen24)
What is your degree in? What would you transfer to??

Posted from TSR Mobile
My current degree is Computer Science but I'm willing to switch to an Open Degree as the name doesn't bother me really. I'd be happy then if I could do that and perhaps take some different maybe engineering type modules if i was allowed down that pathway.
HJ M
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My current degree is Computer Science but I'm willing to switch to an Open Degree as the name doesn't bother me really. I'd be happy then if I could do that and perhaps take some different maybe engineering type modules if i was allowed down that pathway.
The OU does have named computer science degrees, it's just a matter of seeing if you can credit transfer into them
Oliver Queen
Rep:
?
(Original post by HJ M)
The OU does have named computer science degrees, it's just a matter of seeing if you can credit transfer into them
If I were to complete my degree and then applied for the OU would I be able to transfer 240 credits to do the third year at the OU on an Open Degree? I've heard from some people they will accept credits from a completed degree whereas others say they won't.
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If I were to complete my degree and then applied for the OU would I be able to transfer 240 credits to do the third year at the OU on an Open Degree? I've heard from some people they will accept credits from a completed degree whereas others say they won't.
Ring the Student Registration and Enquiry Service to be sure. They are very helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
HJ M
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by addylad)
Ring the Student Registration and Enquiry Service to be sure. They are very helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll second that one
LadyNico
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have done a third year transfer. But all my credits didn't count (I got 180/240. So now I'm doing a BSc Open rather than named natural sciences. This way I have the full 240 credits)

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (114)
66.28%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.35%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.37%

Watched Threads