laydee_daisy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I'm hoping someone on here can help me.

I have recently got a job as an administrator in the biomedical sector and would love to understand the field a bit more. I haven't studied science since GCSE so am a complete novice. I was hoping someone could recommend the equivalent of a 'biomedical science for dummies' (unfortunately, the 'for dummies' series doesn't do one of these). I just need something that simply explains the basics of biomedical science so that someone with no knowledge or training can understand a bit about it and recognise some key words.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!
Lambert87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by laydee_daisy)
Hi, I'm hoping someone on here can help me.

I have recently got a job as an administrator in the biomedical sector and would love to understand the field a bit more. I haven't studied science since GCSE so am a complete novice. I was hoping someone could recommend the equivalent of a 'biomedical science for dummies' (unfortunately, the 'for dummies' series doesn't do one of these). I just need something that simply explains the basics of biomedical science so that someone with no knowledge or training can understand a bit about it and recognise some key words.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!
Why not study a OU level 1 course... Then you would not only learn but you could gain a qualification and progress?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cropped Shaggy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in a bit of a similar boat myself, except I'm doing an Access to Science diploma in September, and have been mulling over the idea of jumping on a Biomed Science degree following that. I want to read a tonne about the subject but have no idea of the best place to start.

You did, however, give the me the idea to search what "for dummies" titled books are on offer that could be related. I came across the following, seemingly related, topics that may be worth a read:

Biochemistry
Bioinformatics
Clinical Anatomy
Macrobiotics
Molecular and Cell Biology
Neuroscience

I realise that's quite possibly more than you were looking for, but maybe someone else can help narrow it down a bit.
smd4std
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i wouldn't be studying biomedical science at uni if it was possible to learn this **** from a book called biomedical science for dummies.

stop being a dummy op, this is a vast field consisting of biochem, cell biology, molecular biology, cytopathology, virology, biophysics, epidermiology, hematology, genetics, histopathology, immunology, physiology etc etc etc
smd4std
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cropped Shaggy)
I'm in a bit of a similar boat myself, except I'm doing an Access to Science diploma in September, and have been mulling over the idea of jumping on a Biomed Science degree following that. I want to read a tonne about the subject but have no idea of the best place to start.

You did, however, give the me the idea to search what "for dummies" titled books are on offer that could be related. I came across the following, seemingly related, topics that may be worth a read:

Biochemistry
Bioinformatics
Clinical Anatomy
Macrobiotics
Molecular and Cell Biology
Neuroscience

I realise that's quite possibly more than you were looking for, but maybe someone else can help narrow it down a bit.

get molecular biology of the cell and microbiology and immunology books. that'll get you ready for first year
Cropped Shaggy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by smd4std)
get molecular biology of the cell and microbiology and immunology books. that'll get you ready for first year
Thanks for the tip; that's sorted out my reading materials then, for the time being
smd4std
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cropped Shaggy)
Thanks for the tip; that's sorted out my reading materials then, for the time being
for immunology get janeway's or male et al. for molecular biology get alberts
Asfpr3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by smd4std)
i wouldn't be studying biomedical science at uni if it was possible to learn this **** from a book called biomedical science for dummies.

stop being a dummy op, this is a vast field consisting of biochem, cell biology, molecular biology, cytopathology, virology, biophysics, epidermiology, hematology, genetics, histopathology, immunology, physiology etc etc etc
Exactly you are right mate..why would spend alot of money on studying biomed if we can just learn it from dummies...what a dumass

Posted from TSR Mobile
laydee_daisy
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Wow...helpful replies! :rolleyes: I'm not by any means trying to be a scientist or an expert on the area, and in no way am I expecting a book to teach me the kind of things science students study about. I'd just love to understand a bit more about the industry and widen my knowledge of the subject from a beginners point of view, and a lot of what I've searched seems to be aimed at people with a certain level of existing knowledge.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (46)
26.9%
No (125)
73.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed