Is this odd?

Watch
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Is it odd that my favourite genre of music is 'soundtrack'? Things like the music of Hans Zimmer, Steve Jablonsky, Ramin Djawadi, Bryan Tyler? I just love the grandiose feeling and epic power of the music (such as Transformers/Pirates of the Caribbean OSTs to name a tiny minority).

While most of my friends are split between Prog Rock, Pop or Indie music, I am there listening to soundtracks from movies (and VERY rare orchestral dubstep such as Arkasia, which is again bordering on movie soundtracks)?

My question is: is anyone else like this?
tes1996
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With a thread title like that on TSR, I was expecting a far worse question.
No, there are some amazing soundtracks out there- the amount of money in the film industry must mean that the music has to be fantastic.
A load of composers made their name in soundtrack, then moved on to better things, but equally you get many well founded popular artists wanting to try
arxtra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not at all weird, I think it's a brilliant genre and one that I frequently listen to. Visual and dramatic influence on music-making is a wonderful thing and the genre encapsulates this better than any other.

What I especially enjoy is when some of my favourite artists and producers of other genres dabble in composition for film. Musicians like Marvin Gaye (Trouble Man), Curtis Mayfield (Superfly), Donny Hathaway (Come Back, Charleston Blue), Flying Lotus (Adult Swim projects), Daft Punk (Tron) and so many others.
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by arxtra)
Not at all weird, I think it's a brilliant genre and one that I frequently listen to. Visual and dramatic influence on music-making is a wonderful thing and the genre encapsulates this better than any other.

What I especially enjoy is when some of my favourite artists and producers of other genres dabble in composition for film. Musicians like Marvin Gaye (Trouble Man), Curtis Mayfield (Superfly), Donny Hathaway (Come Back, Charleston Blue), Flying Lotus (Adult Swim projects), Daft Punk (Tron) and so many others.
So much yes to that last one (Daft Punk). The Tron soundtrack is unbelievable, and makes an average movie at best an amazing experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.86%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.45%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.69%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.39%

Watched Threads