The Student Room Group

Applying from American highschool

Hey,
I am Irish but did 2 years of American high school instead of GCSEs or Junior cert. I'm doing A levels now so left before getting my high school diploma - the 'qualification'..I was just wondering if anyone is/was in a similar position? And if so, how did you navigate the UCAS form? I'm thinking I'll have to email my transcripts to the individual colleges so that they have some record of my grades :s-smilie:

thanks! :smile:
Original post by hannahbela
Hey,
I am Irish but did 2 years of American high school instead of GCSEs or Junior cert. I'm doing A levels now so left before getting my high school diploma - the 'qualification'..I was just wondering if anyone is/was in a similar position? And if so, how did you navigate the UCAS form? I'm thinking I'll have to email my transcripts to the individual colleges so that they have some record of my grades :s-smilie:

thanks! :smile:

Hi,

I think the best thing for you to do is to say that you went to a US high school for those two years, but not attempt to put any qualifications down (unless you did AP / SAT / ACT early). UK unis generally don't care about GPA because they know that it's very much dependent on the school that you go to, hence they place their emphasis on standardised tests.

You'll put down your AS grades and A2 predictions just like any other UK student, and because you don't have GCSEs / Junior Cert for a very good reason, so unis will understand and accept the fact.
Reply 2
Ah okay that would make sense. Thanks so much for your help!

Original post by Origami Bullets
Hi,

I think the best thing for you to do is to say that you went to a US high school for those two years, but not attempt to put any qualifications down (unless you did AP / SAT / ACT early). UK unis generally don't care about GPA because they know that it's very much dependent on the school that you go to, hence they place their emphasis on standardised tests.

You'll put down your AS grades and A2 predictions just like any other UK student, and because you don't have GCSEs / Junior Cert for a very good reason, so unis will understand and accept the fact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending