Can someone explain meiosis? Watch

iWoof
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm doing As biology, and learning about meiosis at the moment.
here's my explanation of meiosis at the moment.

1st division.
- chromosomes and centriole duplicate.
(Early prophase)

- chromosomes line up, and spindal begins to form
(Late prophase)

- Chromosome pairs up at the equator.
(Metaphase)

- Spindal pulls chromosome apart
(Anaphase

- Cell membrane constricts
Telaphase.

Is this correct?
Also can someone in very simple English, explain the 2nd division of meiosis.

Please and thank yoy

Posted from TSR Mobile
smd4std
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
there are loads of useful diagrams on google that help you understand cell division
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iWoof)
I'm doing As biology, and learning about meiosis at the moment.
here's my explanation of meiosis at the moment.

1st division.
- chromosomes and centriole duplicate.
(Early prophase)

- chromosomes line up, and spindal begins to form
(Late prophase)

- Chromosome pairs up at the equator.
(Metaphase)

- Spindal pulls chromosome apart
(Anaphase

- Cell membrane constricts
Telaphase.

Is this correct?
Also can someone in very simple English, explain the 2nd division of meiosis.

Please and thank yoy
Nearly so. You have grasped the main concept, but quite simplistically. There are events, such as the formation of the synaptonemal complex and subsequent crossing over, which are an integral part of prophase 1. Also, the prophase 1 is further subdivided into LZPDD--Leptotene, Zygotene, Pachytene, Diplotene and Diakinesis, but I don't think you need to know about that. Just remember that crossing over and reduction division take place during MEIOSIS one, in which 2n-->n no of chromosomes in daughter cells.

The 2nd division of meiosis is nothing worth understanding. If you have studied mitosis, then the major events that take place during meiosis 2 are almost similar to mitosis. There is no reduction division here i.e. 2 parent cells with n chromosomes produce 4 daughter cells with "n" chromosomes again, so no reduction division takes place here.

I think that is all about it. Do tell me if you want more details.
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iWoof)
x
Your depiction of the important steps is quite good. Nevertheless I would add the Interphases of meiosis. The only one which I would improve in your depiction is the Telophase: Instead of to write that the cell membrane is constricted, the cell begins to split, so two cells with identical chromosome sets come into being.
DavidYorkshireFTW
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dynamo123)
Nearly so. You have grasped the main concept, but quite simplistically. There are events, such as the formation of the synaptonemal complex and subsequent crossing over, which are an integral part of prophase 1. Also, the prophase 1 is further subdivided into LZPDD--Leptotene, Zygotene, Pachytene, Diplotene and Diakinesis, but I don't think you need to know about that. Just remember that crossing over and reduction division take place during MEIOSIS one, in which 2n-->n no of chromosomes in daughter cells.

The 2nd division of meiosis is nothing worth understanding. If you have studied mitosis, then the major events that take place during meiosis 2 are almost similar to mitosis. There is no reduction division here i.e. 2 parent cells with n chromosomes produce 4 daughter cells with "n" chromosomes again, so no reduction division takes place here.

I think that is all about it. Do tell me if you want more details.
Am i being an idiot, or did OP say meiosis, mitosis is what has been explained.
Meiosis involves independent segregation and crossing over right? Or are the two processes almost identical.
Maccman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW)
Meiosis involves independent segregation and crossing over right? Or are the two processes almost identical.
I read this and was worried AS biology has failed me!
DavidYorkshireFTW
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maccman)
I read this and was worried AS biology has failed me!
You read my comment or read the OP?
Maccman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You read my comment or read the OP?
I am agreeing with you, was pretty confused when he only mentioned one division..
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Um, I mentioned crossing over after the formation of the synaptonemal complex. The OP didn't.
DavidYorkshireFTW
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dynamo123)
Um, I mentioned crossing over after the formation of the synaptonemal complex. The OP didn't.
My point was I think OP got meiosis and mitosis mixed up
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You are looking for differences, right?

In comparison to meiosis, mitosis creates two diploid daughter cells which are identical to the mother cell in terms of genetics, while meiosis creates four haploid daughter cells which are not genetically identical to the mother cell. Thus meiosis is capable of creating gametes and genetical variability of the descendants is possible. Against that mitosis is just a breeding of cells which are not able to create genetical variability.

Moreover mitosis has more processes in comparison to meiosis.
iWoof
Rep:
?
My point was I think OP got meiosis and mitosis mixed up
my explanation was of meiosis.
But only the 1st division. Where two haploid cells are formed.
GeogBerry
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iWoof)
The guy with the long explanation was correct, however that was A2 level. What you put at the top is fine. The second stage is also very similar to the first. He said it was similar to mitosis in the second stage because you can't split haploid cells

Posted from TSR Mobile
iWoof
Rep:
?
(Original post by GeogBerry)
The guy with the long explanation was correct, however that was A2 level. What you put at the top is fine. The second stage is also very similar to the first. He said it was similar to mitosis in the second stage because you can't split haploid cells

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohhhh I get it now
Thanks everyone
DavidYorkshireFTW
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
You are looking for differences, right?

In comparison to meiosis, mitosis creates two diploid daughter cells which are identical to the mother cell in terms of genetics, while meiosis creates four haploid daughter cells which are not genetically identical to the mother cell. Thus meiosis is capable of creating gametes and genetical variability of the descendants is possible. Against that mitosis is just a breeding of cells which are not able to create genetical variability.

Moreover mitosis has more processes in comparison to meiosis.

(Original post by iWoof)
Nope, I know the differences, I was under the impression that independent segregation and cross over occurred in meiosis I?
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope, I know the differences, I was under the impression that independent segregation and cross over occurred in meiosis I?
As far as I can see crossing over comes first to enable a recombination. This step counts to Prophase I what belongs to meiosis I. If independent segregation is another word for segration in four haploid daughter cells, then you are wrong. Haploid daughter cells are splitted in Prophase II what counts to meiosis II. In the other hand the segregation in four haploid daughter cells begins in Telophase I. From the perspective of the beginning independent segregation counts to meiosis I. But if independent segregation means the split of two homologous chromosomes in two haploid cells with double chromosomes, then independent segregation is a part of meiosis I too.
worriedteen134
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1388915670.817770.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  56.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (67)
15.8%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (43)
10.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (80)
18.87%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.39%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.85%
How can I be the best version of myself? (127)
29.95%

Watched Threads