I think I'm becoming an alcoholic.

Watch
MagneMagne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
It is 3:30 am, I woke up at 3:20 and went downstairs to empty my bladder. However, whilst I was downstairs I helped myself to a swig of whiskey, I'm doing this allot now. Swigging whiskey at night time, in the mornings as I prepare my cereal or as I'm revising in the kitchen. My parents are not home and I'm on Christmas break. My family has a long history of alcoholism. This has been going on for about a week now, I think I'm becoming an alcoholic.. help?
DayToForget
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
First of all, you need to ask yourself why you're consuming alcohol regularly? Are you suffering from depression or anxiety? If so, please speak to someone as alcohol does not solve problems.

Consuming alcohol in large quantities for a week isn't really my definition of being an alcoholic, however, if you continue drinking it could lead to an addiction problem with alcohol later on. I suggest you talk to someone, maybe a close friend or family member? It doesn't have to be about alcohol, but other things.

Whenever I feel down or upset, I find exercise helps a lot.

I hope all goes well for you, and you have a good new year. Best.
Kingoftheducks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Typically excessive alcohol consumption starts off as an emotional crutch. If you are susceptible to becoming physically addicted, that will come with extended alcohol use.

Are you certain that you are in the early stages of becoming physically addicted to alcohol? If this is the case, the best thing to do is to stop cold-turkey. Find some resolve, put all alcohol where it is out of sight and make a serious note to yourself that your health depends on you staying sober until you can prove you are no longer addicted.

Question why you started consuming large amounts of alcohol in the first place. Was it simply an indulgence that gradually grew out of control, or is it an emotional crutch to help you deal with depression, loneliness or stress?
UKChicken
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
get rid of all the alcohol and replace it with another non alcoholic drink so that when you wake up or eat your cereal you go for that drink rather than the alcohol
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Swigging whiskey with cereal really isn't a good sign.

Remove all alcohol from the house, and only drink on social occasions, outside the house. If you can't manage that, go and see your GP asap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gjaykay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I remember reading a story about some dude who lived until he was like 110 in great health - just your average guy - except he had a single shot of whiskey in the morning before he got out of bed. He did this every day since he was 14. So no, a small amount of alcohol everyday wont kill you or do major damage to you :rollseyes:

Although taking a swig of whiskey doesn't make you an alcoholic - love how some people think drinking anymore than at a weekend is alcoholism :rollseyes: Alcohol does have a snowball effect, it starts with a little, turns into a lot. So if you're gonna keep doing what you're doing, stick to it and don't start drinking more and more each time.
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
?
Report 7 years ago
Just try and ration yourself so that you don't drink too much. A little won't hurt you.
aranexus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The last thing i feel like doing in the morning is drinkin' booze
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There's a difference between getting into a habit, which is surprisingly easy to do, and being addicted. Put the bottle out of reach and stop drinking it. If you can, then that's great. If you find yourself NEEDING to drink it, then you should consider getting help before it goes any further - as alcoholism can absolutely ruin lives, not just of those suffering but also of those around them.
TurboCretin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MagneMagne)
It is 3:30 am, I woke up at 3:20 and went downstairs to empty my bladder. However, whilst I was downstairs I helped myself to a swig of whiskey, I'm doing this allot now. Swigging whiskey at night time, in the mornings as I prepare my cereal or as I'm revising in the kitchen. My parents are not home and I'm on Christmas break. My family has a long history of alcoholism. This has been going on for about a week now, I think I'm becoming an alcoholic.. help?
It's really good that you have recognised the early warning signs and are open to the possibility that it could be addiction. The thing to do now is to seek professional advice. Go and talk to your GP. After that, then possibly talk to your parents if you feel comfortable raising it with them. You need people around you who understand and will support you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (1)
100%
No (0)
0%

Watched Threads