Jahi McMath

Watch this thread
tania<3
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Saw there isn't anything on TSR about this case so thought I'd start a discussion.

They thought the tonsil surgery would help her. She feared she'd never wake up.
Now, a 13-year-old girl once known for smiling, giggling and dropping off her sister every day at kindergarten lies motionless in a California hospital bed, hooked up to machines that doctors say are the only thing keeping her heart beating.

There have been days of prayers and protests for Jahi McMath. There was a fierce court battle as a devastated family fought to keep her on life support and doctors argued she had already died. The case drew national attention and fueled debate.

Attorney: Jahi McMath sat 'on death row' Jahi McMath 'tragedy prolonged by court' Family works to move brain dead teen Mom: Jahi is dead only if her heart stops
Doctors and a judge have declared her brain dead and said there's no chance Jahi will come back to life.

A deadline loomed Monday as a judge had said the hospital could disconnect the machines after 5 p.m. (8 p.m. ET). But shortly before Jahi could have been cut off, that same judge extended his order to 5 p.m. (8 p.m. ET) on January 7.

"This child was sitting on death row," said family attorney Christopher Dolan. "This was a facility that was hell bent on ending this child's life today, and a court stepped in."
Children's Hospital Oakland spokesman Sam Singer said the hospital would comply with the order.

Earlier, the girl's family told reporters it had located a facility in New York willing to take Jahi. The Oakland hospital, however, "refused to agree to allow us to proceed in that matter," according to the girl's uncle, Omari Sealey.

Attorneys for the family are filing a new complaint in federal court requesting a temporary restraining order and an injunction to prevent the hospital from disconnecting Jahi from life support, he said. They also are filing an appeal with California appellate courts.
Asked about the New York facility, Singer said that the hospital has had no "substantive" conversations with any such place.
It's unclear what will happen next.

But one thing is certain, the spokesman said.
"There are no winners in this very tragic case," Singer told reporters.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/30/he...rl-brain-dead/

Disclaimer: before people say that there have been cases of people waking up from this type of thing, do not confuse a coma with brain-death - there is a massive difference between the two. Coma is reversible; brain death is not.

And the article hasn't mentioned that actually what she had was an Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty not a routine tonsillectomy. It is a lot more complex and there are more risks associated with it. However, it was seen as an option because the girl was sadly obese and she had a lot of breathing difficulties due to her obesity.

IMO, I understand how distraught the parents are but they need to see reason - their little girl is not going to wake up. However the post-operative bleeding she had was a HUGE red flag, and I think there may have been something wrong with how the staff handled it. But without knowing both sides of the story it's impossible to say it was negligence.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
A very sad case. Bit if declared brain dead, its only the machines keeping her live. Its a hard situation for the parents to do, give up hope, but why needs to be done, needs to be done
Darth Stewie
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
If someone is actually brain dead then there is no way known by modern medicine that can bring them back however there have been multiple cases (That we know about because the person woke up in time) where doctors have got it wrong and people who they declared brain dead woke up and in many of those cases if the patients family had just given up the person would have been killed by the hospital.

As far as I'm concerned the decision is up to the family, they raised the funds to get her moved to a facility that is willing to care for her and I find their hope and determination in the face of overwhelming defeat rather admirable. I also find the fact the hospital are refusing to prep her for movement and seem almost adamant on pulling the plug very suspicious especially considering she is in this state after one of their surgeries.
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 8 years ago
I just want to know how this procedure went so wrong!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (16)
28.57%
Take a gap year (14)
25%
Resit my exams (9)
16.07%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (7)
12.5%
I don't know yet (7)
12.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads