Modern day marriage views, marriage is dying out ?

Watch
Voltozonic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I was curious yesterday and looked up divorce rates in Scandinavia which turns out are some of the highest in the world.

At the same time though, less and less people in this region are getting married in the first place. I've been quite interested by this region over the last year or so as I happened to spend a lot of time there last year and noticed that some things are quite different to the UK. It seemed a lot more secular, a lot more like men and women are on par etc etc....

...Anyway, one of the theories for this is the introduction of same sex-marriage or equal rights status for gay couples, which a lot of the Nordic countries introduced back in the 90's, long before most other countries.

I personally, think marriage is a bit outdated and I've never fancied it for myself it dying out doesn't really bother me. But what you do think ?

Just wondering if anyone here knows any more about this than I do and can share their views on whether we're likely to follow suit.

Have a read of this article about it if you get a chance:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...3/660zypwj.asp
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used to think it's just a piece of paper but my husband convinced me that it's not

Posted from TSR Mobile
MangoFreak
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm a sucker for ceremony but marriage still seems quite silly. It would depend on the execution, however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
vindiboy3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Live together for the first few years before getting married or having children.That way your rose coloured specs. should be crystal clear
Alice_95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think there is still a place for marriage in society, but I would agree that it's certainly not the institution it used to be. Cohabitation used to be a total no no but now culturally this generally isn't the case. I also think that with more open attitudes to sex, relationships and such things that separation is more common, so that if you're not happy in a situation you can change it - in many situations that's great, for example divorcing an abusive spouse, but I would say that perhaps some couples don't work as hard at the issues that arise in married life as much as say 100 years ago. I personally still value marriage.
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I guarantee you that following Same-Sex marriage, there will be a legal challenge in the next few years as to why close relatives cannot marry (in presumed furtherance of circumventing inheritance tax). If that is successful, and there's no reason why not - that will be what kills marriage and turns it into a small "c" civil partnership.
aranexus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MangoFreak)
I'm a sucker for ceremony but marriage still seems quite silly. It would depend on the execution, however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who are you? Henry the Eighth
MangoFreak
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aranexus)
Who are you? Henry the Eighth
Who needs flowers? Heads on spikes :pierre:
aranexus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MangoFreak)
Who needs flowers? Heads on spikes :pierre:
Heads on pikes :pierre:
MangoFreak
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
I guarantee you that following Same-Sex marriage, there will be a legal challenge in the next few years as to why close relatives cannot marry (in presumed furtherance of circumventing inheritance tax). If that is successful, and there's no reason why not - that will be what kills marriage and turns it into a small "c" civil partnership.
I don't understand how somebody can claim to think marriage is important, if the only thing they need for it to become unimportant is the increasing of the pool of people who can marry.

That's basically saying marriage is a VIP club, and that the only reason to marry is to be in the VIP club.
MangoFreak
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aranexus)
Heads on pikes :pierre:
A semantic difference :pierre: Unless pikes are made of chocolate, I care not.
LukeM90
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have no intention of gettin married anytime soon, but maybe that says more about my views on my current relationship than anything else.

dont get me wrong I love my girlfriend and all but I think marriage is a bit of a commitment, I'd want to be 100% sure before I commited to somone for life,

dont fancy marrying someone only to want a divorce somewhere down the road.
***OpenSky***
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I don’t know, today is so easy to get a divorce and peoplecan live comfortably on their own, so if your unhappy then the option is thereto get out. I think attitudes have changed too. People used to get married idsay pretty quickly, way before the rose tinted glasses came off and then youwere with them for life. Today its accepted you can live with someone anddecide you don’t want to be with them anymore.

i personally don’t see that as a bad thing, but it doesdevalue marriage because it doesn’t hold the weight it once did. I cant reallysee the point of being with a person if they make you unhappy, and I guess thatgoes against the idea of marriage because you vow to stay together throughthick and thin. People can afford to put themselves first today, especiallywomen because of higher paid jobs and so on. I think peoples priorities have changed, I don’t think its so bad to putyourself first

Al-Mudaari
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not if you're Muslim
Alpha510
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Who has watched The Life of Pi?

That was a marriage.

You feel stuck with it. It might attack you. Break you into fragments. Eat you. Steal away from you.
You'll have to learn to live with it. To subdue the fear. Understand. Find your communication. To learn to share. To give away. Mark your territories. Respect barriers. Bear with patience.
And it'll be the reason you grow and survive.

Marriages do not fail. People fail.
TurboCretin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Alpha510)
Who has watched The Life of Pi?

That was a marriage.

You feel stuck with it. It might attack you. Break you into fragments. Eat you. Steal away from you.
You'll have to learn to live with it. To subdue the fear. Understand. Find your communication. To learn to share. To give away. Mark your territories. Respect barriers. Bear with patience.
And it'll be the reason you grow and survive.

Marriages do not fail. People fail.
What are you on about?
Alpha510
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TurboCretin)
What are you on about?
That marriage is dying out because couples are not making enough effort to make it work. -.-

Don't worry. Am just bored.
bestofyou
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Al-Mudaari)
Not if you're Muslim
or catholic
alkhtyra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Marriage is the unit that holds society together. Family relationships, inter-generational relationships (with the old teaching the young and the young looking after the old), and communities are based on it. If marriage were to "die out", I don't think we would have a properly functioning society any more. We are already seeing the effects of this, through more children having to endure divorce and family breakups, being brought up in single-parent households or in reconstructed households, being brought up by childminders, loneliness and isolation amongst the elderly, less cohesiveness and support for individuals from communities.

I'm only a teenager, but if marriage were to completely die out, I hope I won't live to see the day...!
alkhtyra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Al-Mudaari)
Not if you're Muslim
Good thing, too! In my own words, A society that does not value marriage is a society that does not value its women.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.45%
England (105)
33.87%
Belgium (26)
8.39%
Germany (37)
11.94%
Spain (5)
1.61%