The Student Room Group

Is it possible to work part-time immediately after completing F1 + F2 years?

Hey guys,

After consigning my idea to try to get into medical school to the bin about a year ago, it still keeps popping into my head, hence the following question.

I suffer from Crohn's disease and came to the conclusion that working full-time as a doctor would constantly result in my Crohn's flaring up (stress is a particularly bad stressor for my symptoms). I wondered, if I managed, in theory, to get through the training and F1 + F2 years, is it possible to immediately start working part-time or would I have to build up 'X' amount of years of experience before that option became available.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Christiandransfiel
Hey guys,

After consigning my idea to try to get into medical school to the bin about a year ago, it still keeps popping into my head, hence the following question.

I suffer from Crohn's disease and came to the conclusion that working full-time as a doctor would constantly result in my Crohn's flaring up (stress is a particularly bad stressor for my symptoms). I wondered, if I managed, in theory, to get through the training and F1 + F2 years, is it possible to immediately start working part-time or would I have to build up 'X' amount of years of experience before that option became available.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

If it's for health reasons, you should be able to do LTFT from F1 if necessary. You would need occupational health approval and agreement from whoever co-ordinates LTFT in your deanery, but it should be doable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
But you also need to think about a) whether you can afford to work part-time and b) whether this would really solve the problem of stress exacerbating Crohn's. Three very stressful days could be as significant as five. Part-time training also delays each stage so 50% training would mean spending two years at FY1, etc. It can also make each individual day more stressful as inevitably you will have less of a grip on what's happening to your patients and colleagues will have to cover for your absence (NHS trusts can't even manage simple rotas effectively. Medical school is also a pretty stressful experience with high stakes assessments cropping up frequently.

None of these things are to say that you shouldn't take this route - just things to consider!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending