How are exams in Uni?

Watch this thread
ddtown
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm applying for Uni next year and my course is a mix of assignments and exams, I haven't done exams in years so I can't remember what they're really like lol.

Are they done on paper or on computers? Is it multiple choice or do you get a question and then you have to write/type the answer? Or does it depend on the course?
pak1994
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ddtown)
I'm applying for Uni next year and my course is a mix of assignments and exams, I haven't done exams in years so I can't remember what they're really like lol.

Are they done on paper or on computers? Is it multiple choice or do you get a question and then you have to write/type the answer? Or does it depend on the course?
It will depend on the course and university. It might be worth asking in the relevant university forum on here.
DoctorInTraining
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ddtown)

It all depends on what course and which university you are at!

My exams even within my course have varied in format
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It will depend on the course and the university, and it could be a mixture of types.

During my time at university I have taken exams that are multiple choice, short answer and long answer (essay style) format written by hand and multiple choice assessments on computers.

You will be told what the exams will be like when you attend the university, as the style of assessment can even change from one year to the next. If you have specific worries, e.g. due to dyslexia, there should be support available to you.
discomposure
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
As others has said it does vary.
So far all of my 'main' exams (ones at the end of term, worth >40% of a module) have been on paper in an exam hall, except for one which was a take-home paper. I've had other smaller exams which were just done at the start of a lecture on paper or online during my own time.

I'm doing a biology degree & I've had a mixture of formats. Some are multiple choice- these tend to have some tricky or really specific questions and are sometimes negatively marked (so you lose a mark if you get a question wrong) to prevent guessing so they don't tend to be any easier then other exams imo.
Others are just short answer questions, others are a mixture of a short essay, short answer and multiple choice.

Exams tend to be done the same way they're done in schools pretty much, you sit in a hall or lecture theatre infront of a paper, with your coats and bags at the front or in a seperate room.
mrmicrosoft
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
exams are death. death. dea-
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It varies hugely.
As an undergraduate most of my modules were 80% exam with a few exceptions that were 0% exam, mostly lab based stuff.

As a postgraduate most of my modules are 0% exam.

Generally exams are written not typed (something I think they should change) and the format will vary depending on the degree. I did physics so a lot of the questions were calculations, brief explanations or definitions. Other people will write essays.
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I think I've had just about every conceivable format of examination and coursework by now...

Online multiple choice, offline multiple choice
Online maths test, offline maths test
Long essay, short essay
30 minute exam up to 3 hour exam
Practical test, computer design test, paper design test, software tests
Logbook, A3 presentations for labs, Powerpoint presentations for research, building and testing bridges, building and racing RC cars

It's going to depend purely on how they do it, but each lecturer and module leader will set their own work. It can get varied.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.13%
The paper was reasonable (136)
37.16%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.51%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.21%

Watched Threads