The Student Room Group

What's your favourite film soundtrack?

A film is only as good as the music it contains. It is just as vital to a story as complex characters and compelling dialogue. It is the film's soundtrack that sets the mood and enriches the scenes. Music is the glue that holds it all together, for without the right soundtrack, a movie just isn’t as effective. Some film soundtracks completely make a film whilst some contain songs which capture the moment, so what's your favourite?

My favourite has to be 'Summer Overture' from the film Requiem for a Dream:

Scroll to see replies

FROZEN

In all honesty, probably anything Murray Gold, Danny Elfman, Alexandre Desplat and John Williams have ever composed. Basically I love most soundtracks.
Kind of an obvious answer, but it would have to be the Schindler's List soundtrack. The music alone is enough to make you cry.
I just know someone's going to say Titanic :tongue:
[video="youtube;67mHrVE3vJE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67mHrVE3vJE[/video]
it's not my favourite but one that I like...
Reply 7
I love Frozen :love: I can't stop singing it :biggrin:

But from live action films, my favourites are probably:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Moon
Star Trek (2009)
Lord of the Rings
American Beauty
Reply 8
Garden State
Jennifer's Body
My personal favourite is For A Few Dollars More. It's excellent the way that music "in" the film, is mixed with music "outside" of the film (you woill understand if you have seen it).

Once Upon A Time in the West also has an amazing score, as does The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, the Star Wars films, the Lord of the Rings films and the Pirates of the Caribbean films.
Original post by Wolf359
I love Frozen :love: I can't stop singing it :biggrin:

Is frozen as good as people seem to be making out ? Its everywhere atm . Animated films seem to have become somewhat ****e in the past few years , imo nothing competes with the Golden Age disney films but yh.
Project X , Heads Will Roll remake was quite the banger .
I think Only God Forgives (Cliff Martinez) is brilliant, as is Drive. Joseph Bishara's Insidious score is scary even without the movie :biggrin: Also, A Serbian Film by Sky Wikluh.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Riz Ortolani's ironically beautiful score for Cannibal Holocaust. Love the film as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Is frozen as good as people seem to be making out ? Its everywhere atm . Animated films seem to have become somewhat ****e in the past few years , imo nothing competes with the Golden Age disney films but yh.

Well I enjoyed it, it really tugged at the heart strings in all the right places, and the songs are sooo catchy! I'd say it's probably the best Disney film since the late the 90s, although maybe as high as the disney golden age. Just my opinion!
Reply 14
Trainspotting.

It has tracks from Joy Division, New Order, Lou Reed etc. I couldn't ask for more :tongue:
Original post by Jargogle
A film is only as good as the music it contains. It is just as vital to a story as complex characters and compelling dialogue. It is the film's soundtrack that sets the mood and enriches the scenes. Music is the glue that holds it all together, for without the right soundtrack, a movie just isn’t as effective. Some film soundtracks completely make a film whilst some contain songs which capture the moment, so what's your favourite?

My favourite has to be 'Summer Overture' from the film Requiem for a Dream:

When I saw the thread title, I thought Clint Mansell, but you beat me to it. His soundtracks for The Fountain and Smokin Aces are just as good (even if Smokin Aces is a dud film).
Django Unchained was pretty good. But I've got to say This is the End because I've only watched it recently and the soundtrack really suited the movie and the storyline.
Taxi Driver, by Bernard Hermann.
Reply 18
Whenever I hear any song from Love Actually on radio/adverts/tv/anywhere, I go slightly crazy and shout 'LOVE ACTUALLY!' and people look at me funny. It has the best/cheesiest soundtrack ever though.
And then you have this song:
[video="youtube;aUm2K6eDuMU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUm2K6eDuMU[/video]
I have a few. DEFINITELY the Kick-Ass/Kick-Ass 2 soundtracks though. They are the best examples of soundtracks making the movie I can think of.
[video="youtube;u7m98zMaBCU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7m98zMaBCU[/video]

I really dig The Dark Knight soundtrack also, as well as both the recent Star Trek movie soundtracks.

Quick Reply

Latest