The Student Room Group

My hair is falling out :(

Hello everyone,

I was in a car crash in September, I had a bad head injury and I am still being treated for neck injuries now. The doctor believes I am suffering from post traumatic stress although this hasn't been officially diagnosed yet.

So I'm guessing that's why my hair is falling out. It's not leaving me with bald patches thankfully but it's very thin underneath. It falls out all the time, when I'm brushing it, when I'm in the shower. I keep waking up with a load of it on my pillow. It started about two weeks ago, I know hair falls out anyway but this is like massive clumps of it. It's quite scary, I'm 18, I've already got scars all over my face from the accident I don't need all my hair falling out as well :frown:

has as this happened to anyone before? Is there anything I can do to stop it falling out? X.
Reply 1
I definitely think you should seek medical advice when it comes to something like this instead of asking on here. Doctors can give you advice you can trust most of the time, and I'm sure you would feel a lot more reassured when they explain things.

Don't be afraid of asking, it's their job.

The only thing I could think of is the fact that the prolonged stress that you are experiencing is stopping other growth in your body. Like your fingernails and hair - so the energy used for that is used to help you cope with the stress you have in the long-term.

Take care :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks x

Yeah I will go to the doctors next week, I just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same thing x
Are you on any medication at all that could cause this? Check the leaflets

In all likelihood though, it will be stress related alopecia.
Hello I would say seek medical advice. Biotin is a good supplement for hairloss aswell ( the meds I take can cause hairloss and I take it)/ Hope you get something sorted soon
If you don't know the cause for it, then make an appointment to see your doctor and ask your doc to check all your blood levels to know underlying cause or deficiency.
While I don't have it to the extremes you have, I can sympathise. My hair has become very thin for various reasons and strands come out easily so it never grows. Everyone says oh your hair is so thin. It made me very depressed for a long time, I tried various things such as hair growth conditioners, vitamins that supposedly helped but to no avail. You could try your GP to explore why it's happening.
Reply 7
Thanks everyone x

no I'm not taking any medication. I'm going to the doctors today x
Reply 8
A friend of mine developed alopecia areata a few months ago so I'm aware of how it can affect somebody emotionally. It tends to be just a cosmetic thing though, it's not normally a sign of a more dangerous illness or whatever, so don't worry about that. I imagine it's stress-related. Keep your chin up!
Reply 9
Thank you :smile:

i went to the doctors today and she said it was the body's reaction to stress, she said it will probably continue to fall out for a few months but then it will grow back. There isn't much I can do about it in the meantime though :frown:
I honestly wouldn't worry, I'm actually suffering from Alopecia Universalis, my head hair has fallen out, my eye lashes are starting to fall out, my arm and leg hair is also starting to fall out.... it's really disheartening especially for me because I had really thick, longish hair and now it's all gone. I just think you only live once and think it could be worse, you don't need hair to live! I honestly thought a lot of people would call me horrible names and all, but literally no one has said anything to me and i've been bald since november. of course I am a guy and i can get away with it, but at the end of the day I still felt a bit down and depressed about it, but its not worth fretting about because, like i said, hair is nothing to do with your health, just be happy :')
Reply 11
I may be able to help, PM me who are worried.

I can't be asked replying here as am tired at the moment. #ValidExcuse
Reply 12
It may due to stress you can try some home remedy or treatment as i was also suffering from the same problem and i had done FUT hair Transplant it was really worth and not that much expensive too.
I think you must try Argan Oil for hair fall .. It works great and very mild too. I use this hair care bundle and love the results. Since I can't get pure Argan Oil at my place and also, don't have time for preparing my own hair oil like before, I have this as my standard oil and use my nourishing oil recipe only before shower.

My nourishing Oil recipe is as follows:

Olive Oil
Castor Oil
Neem Oil
Sweet Almond Oil - Optional
Coconut Oil - Optional
Tea Tree Essential Oil - 3 - 4 drops

I don't less or omit Castor oil if I have a cold and coconut oil I generally skip .. I stick with Olive and Need Oil for most part.

Hope it helps you too.

Best Regards
Reply 14
Hello I would say seek medical advice. You have to check your blood level in your body.
It is important to eat healthy foods and make sure that your body is obtaining the vitamins and minerals that it needs. usually times the body can show poor health within the hair follicles and finger nails before and actual health problem is detected. whereas it's necessary to induce enough of the proper nutrients, it's even as necessary to not get an excessive amount of anyone type of nutrition.

Quick Reply

Latest