A level Chemistry Watch

longsightdon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey there guys, I'm taking it next year, and I was wondering how different it is to GCSE chem and what kind of stuff do u study and what is it like in terms of workload and difficulty? Thanks.
SyedaK
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll say, there's a lot more calculations, you learn quite a lot of mechanisms and structures. What you learn also depends on what exam board you were with.

It's less difficult for student who've taken triple science. BUT, there is a jump for all GCSE students.
(Original post by longsightdon)
Hey there guys, I'm taking it next year, and I was wondering how different it is to GCSE chem and what kind of stuff do u study and what is it like in terms of workload and difficulty? Thanks.
PythianLegume
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How difficult and how much work you'll find it will depend, but the general consensus seems to be that it's one of the harder A-Level subjects for most people.

You study a range of topics - you'll be introduced more properly to organic chemistry - it's mechanisms and aromatic chemistry, for example. You'll also look into atomic structure and reactivity in more detail. There's also parts on acidity (pH and Ka), reaction rates, the rate constant and equilibrium constant.

Like all A-Levels, it's a step up from GCSE; your expected to apply your knowledge slightly more, and to tackle longer questions, as well as doing more complicated calculation.
Munrot07
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by longsightdon)
This is for OCR A.

AS

Unit 1 is a lot of stuff from GCSE but in more detail. Moles, bonding and groups in the periodic table all come up but are a bit harder than at GCSE. New stuff includes inter molecular forces, redox reactions and structures.

Unit 2 is organic chemistry. Basically groups with carbons, alkanes, alkenes, halagenoalkanes, alcohols etc. You look at simple analytical techniques. You also do some thermodynamics (enthalpy, working out heat changes) and looks at rate of reaction and equilibrium (which you do in even more depth at A2). You also do green chemistry.

Unit 3 is practical

A2

Unit 4 is a carry on from unit 2 with more organic chemistry, rings, amines amino acids, and polymers. You do more analytical techniques.

Unit 5 is really heavy on calculations. Rate of reaction, equilibrium, pH, more thermodynamics (enthalpy, entropy and free energy), chemical cells and transition metals.

Unit 6 is practical.

The step up is always considered very big but it always depends on how much you work, right from the beginning. You might be given a lot of work (i'm given very little work actually) but you will be expected to do lots of work outside of lessons (7 hours per science per week is recommended) and you will have to revise and make sure you understand everything. Do you know which exam board you will be doing? Chemistry is a great A level to do for a number of reasons and if you put the work in you should do well
demetria
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a lot of work and there are a lot of boring topics but if you do enough revision and practice questions and you make sure your teacher goes through anything and everything you don't fully understand then you should do fine Out of the three sciences I'd say it's the easiest to understand and requires the least revision (and this is coming from someone who does OCR Salters which is supposedly the hardest A level chem course) but not as interesting as biology
The.Joker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I found GCSE chemistry quite boring but Alevel is far, far more interesting and fun!

The thing is with Alevels is that you must work hard throughout the year, you can't revise a week before the exam and expect an A grade.
smozsolution
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
AS Chemistry is a step up from GCSE but if you enjoy the subject and put the effort in then it shouldn't be too difficult for you.

Unit 1 on AQA builds on GCSE knowledge and isn't particularly challenging if you understand the concepts and practice questions. You do calculations (the mole in particular), bonding, organic chemistry, the periodic table and atomic structure.

If you enjoy chemistry and feel that it will benefit you in the future then definitely take it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
9.28%
I used to but I don't now (15)
2.63%
No, but I want to start (205)
35.9%
No, I am unable to (132)
23.12%
No, I chose not to (166)
29.07%