Purplevase
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've spent my AS year studying in a college in the United Kingdom, but my parents are expatriates working in Saudi Arabia. We are British citizens and we do own a house in the United Kingdom in which we have lived prior to coming to Saudi Arabia.

However I'm considering spending the last 6 months of my A2 year (I finish A2 June 2014) in Saudi Arabia, and applying to University in the United Kingdom next year after I finish A2 (taking a Gap year).

My question is: Will I be considered a home student when I apply to University?

What I got from the wikipedia page is that I must have been 'ordinarily resident' in the United Kingdom for the three years before I apply to University. But from the Cambridge University fee status page (http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/students/...ts/status.html), I learnt that 'ordinarily resident' also includes those temporarily working or studying outside of the United Kingdom. I've lived in Saudi Arabia from November 2007 to September 2012.

So again, Will I be considered a home student or Overseas student? Thank you for your time, and any advice will be greatly appreciated.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Purplevase)
I've spent my AS year studying in a college in the United Kingdom, but my parents are expatriates working in Saudi Arabia. We are British citizens and we do own a house in the United Kingdom in which we have lived prior to coming to Saudi Arabia.

However I'm considering spending the last 6 months of my A2 year (I finish A2 June 2014) in Saudi Arabia, and applying to University in the United Kingdom next year after I finish A2 (taking a Gap year).

My question is: Will I be considered a home student when I apply to University?

What I got from the wikipedia page is that I must have been 'ordinarily resident' in the United Kingdom for the three years before I apply to University. But from the Cambridge University fee status page (http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/students/...ts/status.html), I learnt that 'ordinarily resident' also includes those temporarily working or studying outside of the United Kingdom. I've lived in Saudi Arabia from November 2007 to September 2012.

So again, Will I be considered a home student or Overseas student? Thank you for your time, and any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Although this is not definitive, a good rule of thumb concerns your parents' tax status. If your parents are ordinarily resident in the UK, then they have to pay UK income tax on their expatriate earnings. My guess is that they have told the UK taxman that they are not ordinarily resident in the UK. If they are not ordinarily resident in the UK, why is your status different to theirs?
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is a pretty non-standard question to be honest. I'm going to move this over to the Ask Student Finance England forum, so that their rep can give you a definitive answer (though given the time of year, you may have to wait a few days for an answer)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.82%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.18%

Watched Threads