The Student Room Group

4-methylnitrobenzene or 4-nitromethylbenzene?

4-methylnitrobenzene or

4-nitromethylbenzene?

I think it's the first one and the reason being that

you have to name what's attached in alphabetical order ?
Original post by TheGreaterGood
4-methylnitrobenzene or

4-nitromethylbenzene?

I think it's the first one and the reason being that

you have to name what's attached in alphabetical order ?

p-nitrotoluene
Reply 2
Alphabetical order
As charco has said it's para-nitrotoluene, but if you're naming by substituents then it's alphabetical order, so it'd be 1-methyl-4-nitrobenzene.
Original post by charco
p-nitrotoluene

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
As charco has said it's para-nitrotoluene, but if you're naming by substituents then it's alphabetical order, so it'd be 1-methyl-4-nitrobenzene.

woah para-nitrotoluene :eek: I've never even heard of that name before :rofl:

so if I just called it 1-methyl-4-nitrobenzene I would still get the mark?

Drop the '1-' and you would get the mark for either answer.

IUPAC allows for roots such as toluene and xylene when constructing names if it simplifies the situation.

Just look up 'cubane' ...

Really? Have you heard of toluene, phenol etc.? These are bezene with a CH3 (toluene), OH (phenol) etc. - common names for methylbenzene, hydroxybenzene etc. Para is a simple reference to position on the ring (ipso - one the same carbon, ortho - adjacent, meta - 2 carbons along, para - opposite carbon)

Should do yes.
Original post by charco
Drop the '1-' and you would get the mark for either answer.

IUPAC allows for roots such as toluene and xylene when constructing names if it simplifies the situation.

Just look up 'cubane' ...

how come you would be allowed to drop the 1 *scratches head*

Really? Have you heard of toluene, phenol etc.? These are bezene with a CH3 (toluene), OH (phenol) etc. - common names for methylbenzene, hydroxybenzene etc. Para is a simple reference to position on the ring (ipso - one the same carbon, ortho - adjacent, meta - 2 carbons along, para - opposite carbon)

Should do yes.

ohhhh yes I am familiar with phenol. I vaguely remember hearing about toluene in class once. Ohh right, I did not know that.

It is redundant.

Once you declare the '4' it locates the '1'.

ohhhh yes I am familiar with phenol. I vaguely remember hearing about toluene in class once. Ohh right, I did not know that.

You'd be allowed to drop the one because you're referring to just two substituents and one has to be on carbon 1 to start with (in a ring carbon 1 will be the one a functional group is on), declaring the other to be at carbon 4 locates the other substituent. I put it on for the sake of completeness but it's entirely superfluous.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by charco
It is redundant.

Once you declare the '4' it locates the '1'.

You'd be allowed to drop the one because you're referring to just two substituents and one has to be on carbon 1 to start with (in a ring carbon 1 will be the one a functional group is on), declaring the other to be at carbon 4 locates the other substituent. I put it on for the sake of completeness but it's entirely superfluous.

Oh right that makes sense. Thanks :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest