Revision tips, advice & techniques exchange

Watch
fantagurl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm going to share some things that work for me regarding revision for my a levels. Post some things that help you too so everybody can try new ways of studying

FOR STUDYING IN GENERAL::dance:

• do the same hours of study at home as you do in school. EXAMPLE: 4 LESSONS = 4 HOURS for those subjects at home in total
  • Keep your notes organised. Scribble in class but when you get home use highlighters, different coloured pens, fine-liners, pictures, diagrams to make it look interesting.
  • Make a realistic study timetable every week stating what homework, coursework, revision, etc. you'll do in free periods, after school and on weekends.
  • Use revision guides that are relevant to you. (SO IF YOU DO OCR DO NOT USE AN AQA TEXTBOOK) At a level you have to use it alongside textbooks and general notes in class not just memorise that because it is just the basics.
  • Memorise the mark schemes, learn what examiners hate students using in their responses, use examiner reports as well.
  • Use acronyms to remember things.
  • Do revision sessions for 30mins and take a 10 min break. Motivate yourself with a film, food or a day out with friends.
  • Do endless amounts of past papers
  • Use your specification
  • In essay based subjects use this in your paragraphs for top marks

P -
POINT
E - EVIDENCE
E- EXPLAIN
H - HOW
Y WHY
P PURPOSE
I IMPLICATION
E EVALUATE

& IF RELEVANT...
P POLITICAL
E ECONOMICAL
S SOCIAL
H HISTORICAL

I study EDEXCEL MATHS, ENGLISH LITERATURE OCR, CHEMISTRY OCR B SALTERS, BIOLOGY AQA at AS.

MATHS

• do your homework properly, don't hand it in till you have 100%.
  • Ask for help even if it is the stupidest question ever. Literally bother them 24/7
  • Study in groups occasionally during free periods with people who are amazing at the subject and focus on a chapter together.
  • Organise notes
  • Past papers will help you so much
  • Use your textbook, revision guide
  • WEBSITES TO USE ARE: EXAM SOLUTIONS, KHAN ACADEMY, SOLOMON WORKSHEETS

CHEMISTRY:

• WEBSITES: CHEMGUIDE, DOC BROWN, KHAN ACADEMY, CRASH COURSE
  • Use textbook and relevant revision guide
  • use flash cards

BIOLOGY:

• KEEP GOING OVER KEYWORDS

ALSO NOT TO FORGET HEALTH WISE:
drink lots of water
exercise
eat healthy foods
sleep well

:party2:
EmmaBxoxo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Very useful notes here, despite me doing different a levels (for reference I do maths, fm, chemistry and physics)

May I also add;

-make a revision timetable

-set targets not hours.

This works for me, but I learn best in the morning specifically at this time - (4:00-8:00).

And pretty self explanatory but don't watch tv/movie at same time of revision, and avoid music.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
12.5%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (21)
21.88%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (43)
44.79%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
16.67%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
4.17%

Watched Threads