The Student Room Group

What's the scariest film you've ever seen?

I want to know which films you think are the scariest, so use this thread to post scenes from scary films that terrify you the most. The scariest film I've ever seen would have to be The Ring. I prefer Ring (the original Japanese version), but I think the American remake is scarier.

<rant>

"Oh noes, she is slowly shuffling towards me, what do i do? WHAT DO I DO?!? AWMAGAD AWMAGAD"

[10 minutes later]

"SHE'S STILL COMING!"

Seriously I can't stand stupid people in horror movies it just ruins the atmosphere completely, just break the TV screen or better yet leave the apartment, just go out and head to the pub and wait for this whole ring thing to blow over. Or you could put a mirror in front of the TV! or put another TV right in front of that TV so she just goes from TV to TV. There are literally an infinite number of things you could do in this situation that would be better than going up to the TV screen and bending down.

</rant>

Would probably say the scariest movie I've seen is 28 days later, my whole plan for surviving the zombie apocalypse is that I can outrun the zombies, the ones in 28 days later are fast, don't seem to get tired easily and it only takes a tiny anything to infect you and the infection spreads really quickly. The thing was pretty scary as well.
Reply 2
'Martyrs', without a doubt. The powerlessness theme really got me and just the sheer hopelessness of it all was terrifying to me. 'The Blair Witch Project' is a close second.
Reply 3
The first one I ever watched, not even a horror, was 'The Others' and then 'The Blare Witch Project'. Quite recently, I gave 'Insidious' a go and I think I peeked over my cushion the whole way through...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Darth Stewie
<rant>

"Oh noes, she is slowly shuffling towards me, what do i do? WHAT DO I DO?!? AWMAGAD AWMAGAD"

[10 minutes later]

"SHE'S STILL COMING!"

Seriously I can't stand stupid people in horror movies it just ruins the atmosphere completely, just break the TV screen or better yet leave the apartment, just go out and head to the pub and wait for this whole ring thing to blow over. Or you could put a mirror in front of the TV! or put another TV right in front of that TV so she just goes from TV to TV. There are literally an infinite number of things you could do in this situation that would be better than going up to the TV screen and bending down.

</rant>

Utterly wrong. Tthe victim has no idea that she's going to actually come out of the TV until she actually does, that's why they bend down to look at the screen. Once the girl comes out - it's too late to smash the screen, and she crawls, but she also moves forward a few metres in a split second - so there's little point in running. The terrifying thing about the ring is the inevitability of the girl killing you. So it is frightening. :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by lovecraft91
'Martyrs', without a doubt. The powerlessness theme really got me and just the sheer hopelessness of it all was terrifying to me. 'The Blair Witch Project' is a close second.

Lol, you should watch A L'Interieur (Inside) if you liked Martyrs. I was told that Inside was (somehow) even more ****ed up but I would still give the gold cup to Martyrs tbh.

Planning to watch Frontier and High Tension as well.

Man are the French messed up.
Reply 6
Original post by Inzamam99
Lol, you should watch A L'Interieur (Inside) if you liked Martyrs. I was told that Inside was (somehow) even more ****ed up but I would still give the gold cup to Martyrs tbh.

Planning to watch Frontier and High Tension as well.

Man are the French messed up.

I've seen 'Inside' and I enjoyed it but it wasn't half as icky as 'Martyrs'. Not by a long chalk. Need to watch 'Frontiers' and 'High Tension' eventually to complete the set. 'Irreversible' as well.
Saw Gravity in 3D last night. Flippin' scary. :afraid:
Reply 8
Grave Encounters was pretty scary.
Reply 9
Original post by lovecraft91

Martyrs is the worst film I have ever seen. But not bad as in....it's rubbish. No. It was just so negative. Stayed on my mind for a while. I know I'll never watch it again.

Blair Witch Project was really good.

Ones I loved were The Descent, [Rec], The Conjuring, The Orphanage.
Reply 10
Horrors don't scare me any more since I have watched them since I was little but the one that has scared me the most was The Exorcist. I watched it alone when I was about 9 and it terrified me for months lol. I've watched it that often now its lost all of its scary appeal.

The scariest recent horror I have seen is probably The Woman In Black. There was something about that movie that reeeeally creeped me out. I saw it in the cinema and I didn't jump. I watched it a few months later at home and I had my face covered a lot. I think its because of the noises in that movie rather than what you see. Its got a great spooky atmosphere as well.
Reply 11
I found The Haunting in Connecticut surprisingly scary and disturbing. It was the little things; the collection of eyelids, the whole writing on skin thing, the bodies stacked between walls. :ahhhhh: Didn't help that I saw it at a midnight showing in an almost empty cinema.
The Strangers is the only one that stands out for me because it's one of those movies where you just cannot predict what will happen and this drove me crazy when I watched it! Generally speaking it was a terrible movie, but those moments where you know something will happen but you aren't sure if something actually will happen or if it's just your imagination going wild are horrible.

Also, masks terrify me. I was 17 when I was finally able to force myself to sit through the first four Screams because that mask haunted me since I was a kid -- I used to have nightmares of Ghostface stalking me/my primary school when I was as young as 8 years old. :redface:
Reply 13
Original post by Piko_Piko
Utterly wrong. Tthe victim has no idea that she's going to actually come out of the TV until she actually does, that's why they bend down to look at the screen. Once the girl comes out - it's too late to smash the screen, and she crawls, but she also moves forward a few metres in a split second - so there's little point in running. The terrifying thing about the ring is the inevitability of the girl killing you. So it is frightening. :tongue:
You're absolutely right. I think the way she walks is really creepy, as well. It's just the fact that she doesn't even need to run or anything, because she already knows she's going to end up killing you. Now that is scary.

Quick Reply

Latest