Views: 1548
Size:  6.6 KB

Thanks!
Munrot07
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Na is solid because you don't find sodium gas naturally. Sodium is naturally a solid. The definition of enthalpy of formation is the standard enthalpy change 1 one mole of a compound is formed from its elements in their standard states
Zenarthra
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Munrot07)
Na is solid because you don't find sodium gas naturally. Sodium is naturally a solid. The definition of enthalpy of formation is the standard enthalpy change 1 one mole of a compound is formed from its elements in their standard states
I dont understand why its in 2 steps rather than just the 1: NaCl(s) ==> Na(g) + Cl(g)
Munrot07
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zenarthra)
I dont understand why its in 2 steps rather than just the 1: NaCl(s) ==> Na(g) + Cl(g)
You have to do it in small steps that we know the enthalpy for and can measure. We know the enthalpy change of Na(s) to Na(g) so can use it. We know the enthalpy change of 1/2Cl2(g) to Cl(g) and we know the enthalpy change of NaCl(s) to Na(s) + Cl(g). You have to do every small step cause we know the enthalpy changes of these small steps. The enthalpy change of NaCl(s) to Na(g) + Cl(g) is hard to measure.
Helmet Diver
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You need to split it into two steps because you can only find an accurate enthalpy change of small sections of the whole process.

1/2cl2 (g) + Na(s) are the elements in their standard states.
They then need to be ionisised into a gas hence 1/2cl2(g) + Na(g).
Posted from TSR Mobile
Zenarthra
Rep:
?
You have to do it in small steps that we know the enthalpy for and can measure. We know the enthalpy change of Na(s) to Na(g) so can use it. We know the enthalpy change of 1/2Cl2(g) to Cl(g) and we know the enthalpy change of NaCl(s) to Na(s) + Cl(g). You have to do every small step cause we know the enthalpy changes of these small steps. The enthalpy change of NaCl(s) to Na(g) + Cl(g) is hard to measure.
So is the atomisation enthalpy for Na:
NaCl(s) ==> Na(g) + 1/2Cl2(g)

And Atomisation enthalpy for Cl:
NaCl(s) ==> 1/2Cl2(g) + Na(s)
Munrot07
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So is the atomisation enthalpy for Na:
NaCl(s) ==> Na(g) + 1/2Cl2(g)

And Atomisation enthalpy for Cl:
NaCl(s) ==> 1/2Cl2(g) + Na(s)
Na(s) --> Na(g) is the atomisation of Na

1/2Cl2(g) --> Cl(g) is the atomisation of Cl2

You don't start at NaCl(s) that is the final product after the born haber cycle (or from formation). You start with Na(s) + 1/2Cl2(g)
Zenarthra
Rep:
?
Na(s) --> Na(g) is the atomisation of Na

1/2Cl2(g) --> Cl(g) is the atomisation of Cl2

You don't start at NaCl(s) that is the final product after the born haber cycle (or from formation). You start with Na(s) + 1/2Cl2(g)
thnaks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (169)
44.13%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
10.97%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.09%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.67%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise