member327593
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

Bit of silly question. But when you give vitamin supplements in patients with cirrhosis, is it because of low intake in diet or that the liver cant metabolize the vitamins??

Thanks
member327593
Rep:
?
:bump:
member327593
Rep:
?
:bump2:
carcinoma
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by A100whoo)
Hi,

Bit of silly question. But when you give vitamin supplements in patients with cirrhosis, is it because of low intake in diet or that the liver cant metabolize the vitamins??

Thanks
It depends which vitamins you are referring too.

Vitamin D deficiency occurs in cirrhosis as the second hydroxylation of vitamin d occurs in the liver. Therefore, they are at increased risk of osteoporosis.

Zinc deficiency is also common amount cirrhosis patients. The exact pathophys of that I don't know.

Also if they have alcoholic cirrhosis, b vitamins are replaced due to lack of dietary intake.

Are their any other vitamins you are specifically thinking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
member327593
Rep:
?
(Original post by carcinoma)
It depends which vitamins you are referring too.

Vitamin D deficiency occurs in cirrhosis as the second hydroxylation of vitamin d occurs in the liver. Therefore, they are at increased risk of osteoporosis.

Zinc deficiency is also common amount cirrhosis patients. The exact pathophys of that I don't know.

Also if they have alcoholic cirrhosis, b vitamins are replaced due to lack of dietary intake.

Are their any other vitamins you are specifically thinking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

Vitamin C? The pt was on vit b compound strong and ascorbic acid...
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
are you sure you give vitamins to patients with cirrhosis ? i thought it is for alcoholics and you give it irrespective of liver damage. lack of thiamine causes wernicke's encephalopathy and later korsikoff's which are very serious . you give vitamin B co-strong and thiamine tablets to alcoholics because of lack of it in the diet and it prevents these neurological conditions. vitamin C we normally give it in IV pabrinex in withdrawal prevention but sometimes you give it as a tablet.

the only vitamin i give a lot in patients with cirrhosis is vitamin K. this is made in the liver and you need it for clotting. cirrhotic patients dont produce it so you need to replace it before you do procedures like paracentesis as typically there clotting/INR goes off. zinc/vitamin D deficiency, not really heard of it being measured or replaced. HTH
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (222)
67.68%
No (106)
32.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed