ainushka
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hello everyone, I have a problem. I am applying to Liverpool uni: criminology and liverpool john moores uni.: criminology and psychology, criminology and sociology, criminal justice, criminology. As you see there are 4 places to the same uni. What I do wrong? One girl said that if my one application from JohnMoores will be refused,all other applications from John moores will be also refused because there are almost same subjects. also she said that if I want to study crim/soc or crim/psych I have to mention it in my PS. Is she right?? Im confused I have only 2 weeks till deadline and I don't know what to do.
I have a clue, for example I can give application for criminology to 3 different unis- Liverpool Uni, Liverpool John Moores and Liverpool Hope university. Dont ask me why I am applying to Liverpool it is a personal reason..
I hope you will help me. thanks.
ainushka
Rep:
?
((
ainushka
Rep:
?
help me ppl
incipientT
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ainushka)
hello everyone, I have a problem. I am applying to Liverpool uni: criminology and liverpool john moores uni.: criminology and psychology, criminology and sociology, criminal justice, criminology. As you see there are 4 places to the same uni. What I do wrong? One girl said that if my one application from JohnMoores will be refused,all other applications from John moores will be also refused because there are almost same subjects. also she said that if I want to study crim/soc or crim/psych I have to mention it in my PS. Is she right?? Im confused I have only 2 weeks till deadline and I don't know what to do.
I have a clue, for example I can give application for criminology to 3 different unis- Liverpool Uni, Liverpool John Moores and Liverpool Hope university. Dont ask me why I am applying to Liverpool it is a personal reason..
I don't really know exactly what to do about this, but you might well find help in the applications and UCAS section. Have a look around in there and if you don't find what you're looking for post a new thread asking, you'll get more people who can answer there than here.

Best of luck, hope you get the help you need
Zyra
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ainushka)

If you are keen to study at a particular university, I think applying to multiple courses there is a good idea. Admissions departments know that applicants only have five choices, so to invest more than one choice with their university demonstrates a real desire to study there - and after all, all universities want keen students.
Although all your course choices are in the same department, some courses within that department will receive more applications than others. So although your multiple applications to John Moores will all be decided upon by the same people, they may decide to reject your application onto a course with more and stronger applicants, but give you an offer for a course you applied to with fewer and weaker applicants. So multiple applications to the same university department increase your chances of getting an offer there in this way, too.

Of course there is a chance, that despite your display of keenness to study there and the increased chances that multiple applications give you, that the university will still reject your all applications. While using more than one choice might help persuade them, the outcome of their decision still mainly relies on your grades and personal statement, so it is a little dangerous to put all your eggs in one basket.

For that reason, my advice would be to apply to two courses at John Moores. That way, you show a keen desire to study there, which may influence their decision - but you still have three other potential options should John Moores choose to reject your application. Good luck!

Sources:
Ex John Moores Student.
Applied to both Criminology and Criminology with Sociology at the University of Liverpool for September 2014 - got unconditional offers for both. (I rang the university admissions department and the UCAS advice line before doing this and they basically told me what I told you above.)
ainushka
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zyra)
If you are keen to study at a particular university, I think applying to multiple courses there is a good idea. Admissions departments know that applicants only have five choices, so to invest more than one choice with their university demonstrates a real desire to study there - and after all, all universities want keen students.
Although all your course choices are in the same department, some courses within that department will receive more applications than others. So although your multiple applications to John Moores will all be decided upon by the same people, they may decide to reject your application onto a course with more and stronger applicants, but give you an offer for a course you applied to with fewer and weaker applicants. So multiple applications to the same university department increase your chances of getting an offer there in this way, too.

Of course there is a chance, that despite your display of keenness to study there and the increased chances that multiple applications give you, that the university will still reject your all applications. While using more than one choice might help persuade them, the outcome of their decision still mainly relies on your grades and personal statement, so it is a little dangerous to put all your eggs in one basket.

For that reason, my advice would be to apply to two courses at John Moores. That way, you show a keen desire to study there, which may influence their decision - but you still have three other potential options should John Moores choose to reject your application. Good luck!

Sources:
Ex John Moores Student.
Applied to both Criminology and Criminology with Sociology at the University of Liverpool for September 2014 - got unconditional offers for both. (I rang the university admissions department and the UCAS advice line before doing this and they basically told me what I told you above.)
omg thanks~~~
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.24%
I'm not sure (59)
4.64%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (373)
29.35%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (621)
48.86%

Watched Threads