Anonymous 14
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm a bit confused on when and why you put hydroxy in front of the name of an organic compound name.

could someone please explain when you do this and why?

i have the example of 2-hydroxypropanol

CH3CHOHCOH

Thanks for helping.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous 14)
I'm a bit confused on when and why you put hydroxy in front of the name of an organic compound name.

CH3CHOHCOH

Thanks for helping.
You only use a hydroxy prefix if there is another group in the molecule which takes priority.

Example 2-hydroxypropanoic acid, CH3CHOHCOOH

The acid group is higher priority than the alcohol and so becomes the root of the name.

Your example is incorrect (apart from not having enough hydrogen atoms) it would be a diol, propan-1,2-diol...
mynameisntbobk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

CH3CHOHCOH

Thanks for helping.

Why would you name it that?

That would be propan-1,2-diol.

You use the hydroxy prefix when there are other functional groups which have a suffix, and can't be named in any other way such as alkenes or aldehydes.

Edit: beaten to it - awks
Anonymous 14
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
You only use a hydroxy prefix if there is another group in the molecule which takes priority.

Example 2-hydroxypropanoic acid, CH3CHOHCOOH

The acid group is higher priority than the alcohol and so becomes the root of the name.

Your example is incorrect (apart from not having enough hydrogen atoms) it would be a diol, propan-1,2-diol...
Thanks for explaining that it really helped. But I don't understand the priority bit you mentioned. I'm sorry to ask so much but would you mind telling me about that?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for explaining that it really helped. But I don't understand the priority bit you mentioned. I'm sorry to ask so much but would you mind telling me about that?
Priorities are a convention for arranging organic groups in order of 'importance'. As a rough rule of thumb the more 'oxidised' the group is the more important.

In reality is is useful to know a few that often crop up and learn their priority.

-COOH > -CHO > -CH2OH > -CH3

for example.
Anonymous 14
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
Priorities are a convention for arranging organic groups in order of 'importance'. As a rough rule of thumb the more 'oxidised' the group is the more important.

In reality is is useful to know a few that often crop up and learn their priority.

-COOH > -CHO > -CH2OH > -CH3

for example.
Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (104)
27.51%
England (127)
33.6%
Belgium (30)
7.94%
Germany (40)
10.58%
Spain (8)
2.12%