The Student Room Group

Is there a need to mention "Muslim" here?

Muslim students married mentally handicapped women 'so they could stay in the UK' - but now one has been deported while another fights for his 'human right' to family life with his baby

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2532274/Muslim-students-married-mentally-handicapped-women-stay-UK-one-deported-fights-human-right-family-life-baby.html

As I said in the title, is there a need to mention "muslim" here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1

well, you mentioned it too didn't you. perhaps there is something relevant in the case, seeing as the assertion was these were marriages of convienece to keep these guys in the country. and also that they had Islamic weddings - mentioned because these on their own had no jurisdiction in uk law
Nope there is no need except that the media seems to have gathered that by doing so the news will receive more attention
I knew it was the Daily Fail Mail before I clicked on the thread. :s-smilie:

Wouldn't expect any less from that rubbish.
Reply 4
Not Really, If this was a Christian person from Uganda would they mention the religion? No. Or even a Hindu person from India, Would the mention it? No.

Its the DM, they have an agenda and will follow it. Nothing can be done.....
In answer to your original question, no.
Nope. Should say Pakistani students.
Muslim hate= Money.
Go figure.
Let's look at the Daily Mail lead story headline: "Towie model slams Tesco over baby milk that was ten MONTHS out of date and made her two-month-old daughter sick." Is there any need to say "Towie model"? Could they not just have said "woman"?

So they clearly do it in other contexts as well - it adds detail to the headline. So I wouldn't say it's just done to target Muslims...
Reply 9

lol - there was a story a while back about some earl being the first to marry a black woman and in every caption with her the editor could not help but mention in some way or another she was black:
"here the dark skinned _____ stands next to her husband"

Just accept they are a newspaper by name not by credibility.
Many people tend to get race and religion confused, particularly the difference between Muslims and Pakistani people, as not all Pakistanis are Muslim ,and vice versa . In this case though, it is relevant because it refers to Muslim weddings.
بسم الله= in the name of allah

of course. That's the selling point.
Reply 12
Original post by JackBlack
Many people tend to get race and religion confused, particularly the difference between Muslims and Pakistani people, as not all Pakistanis are Muslim ,and vice versa . In this case though, it is relevant because it refers to Muslim weddings.

98-99% of Pakistanis are muslims. most non Islamic groups that up to about 60 years ago were quite prominnent there have been chased out.
Reply 13
yes. the 'muslim' marriage is very relevant in this case as the method used to attempt to circumvent UK law.
Reply 14

Of course it doesn't need to be mentioned, because from those acts we'd know anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending