The Student Room Group

Where to live?

I have a graduate offer for a Big 4 Corporate Finance starting later this year. I will be based in the City (near Fleet Street, St. Paul's). Would ideally like to be somewhere serviced by the Central Line, but realistically anywhere in zones 1 or 2 will do.

I currently do not have anyone to share with but will likely look for a house share to keep costs down. Ideally I am looking to cap rent at around 700 p/month - hopefully someone can tell me if this is realistic?

Salary is around 31k, with a bonus of circa 5-20%, if that helps anyone narrow down realistic areas.

To summarise, I would like to live in a fairly central location, hopefully in a good area for grads - good bars etc and less than 30mins by tube from the Fleet Street area. I don't know London particularly well as I have only really visited for interviews, so if anyone with experience in relocating to the City could provide insight into the areas most popular with young finance professionals that would be most appreciated.

Cheers
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by theman12345
I have a graduate offer for a Big 4 Corporate Finance starting later this year. I will be based in the City (near Fleet Street, St. Paul's). Would ideally like to be somewhere serviced by the Central Line, but realistically anywhere in zones 1 or 2 will do.

I currently do not have anyone to share with but will likely look for a house share to keep costs down. Ideally I am looking to cap rent at around 700 p/month - hopefully someone can tell me if this is realistic?

Salary is around 31k, with a bonus of circa 5-20%, if that helps anyone narrow down realistic areas.

To summarise, I would like to live in a fairly central location, hopefully in a good area for grads - good bars etc and less than 30mins by tube from the Fleet Street area. I don't know London particularly well as I have only really visited for interviews, so if anyone with experience in relocating to the City could provide insight into the areas most popular with young finance professionals that would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Just go on spareroom.com and have a look. Take a tube map and start looking at places near where you work that are on the same line or at least an easy changeover. £700 is very reasonable, you should not have too much trouble finding a place for that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Go to spareroom.com and have a look.
Reply 3
Original post by theman12345

Cheers

That should be simple. £700/month in rent and bills works out at £162.80 per week. There are lots of rooms available for less than that.

I also work very close to St. Pauls and am able to cap my rent and bills at £300 per month for 2014 (used to be £260/month over H2 2013).

It takes me 34 minutes from leaving my room to arriving at my desk at work assuming no delays, and that 34 minutes includes a 1 mile walk to Stratford station and 1-2 minutes waiting for a train (the implication being that if you lived closer to the station, your journey would easily be less than 30 minutes).

Stratford is a great place to live since you have direct connections by Underground to both the City (Bank & St Pauls) with the Central Lijne and Canary Wharf (Jubilee Lijne), frequent night buses, the Westfield Centre (largest shopping mall in Europe).

Stratford --> St Pauls is often a shorter commute than for many areas in Zone 2 --> St. Pauls given that you don't need to change stations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending