The Student Room Group

Unprotected sex on my period...

I rather stupidly got drunk and had unprotected sex with someone I didn't know and lost my virginity.
I am going to the GP tomorrow to get emergency contraception ( I had sex on 31st) so i think it is still within the time span?
What are the chances I could be pregnant - I know it is still possible to get pregnant whilst on your period, but is it not uncommon?
Also, whilst at the GP will I be able to get STI tested there and then?
Reply 1
It is very uncommon - you're probably about two weeks away from ovulating and if you haven't ovulated within a week after the sex, it's not going to happen. Even then it's not probable.

The emergency contraception you'd probably get from a GP is not going to make much difference - you're very probably not pregnant and you'd be at the end of the period when it is effective. The 'morning after pill' is most effective within 12 hours, noticeably less so within 48 hours, and only 'of the women who would have become pregnant, just over half won't be if they take this' up to 72 hours.

If this isn't good enough for you, you want to go to a sexual health or contraceptive clinic and have an IUD fitted instead.

It's too early for some STI tests and you're better off with a sexual health clinic if there is one near you for those.
Reply 2
Original post by unprinted
It is very uncommon - you're probably about two weeks away from ovulating and if you haven't ovulated within a week after the sex, it's not going to happen. Even then it's not probable.

The emergency contraception you'd probably get from a GP is not going to make much difference - you're very probably not pregnant and you'd be at the end of the period when it is effective. The 'morning after pill' is most effective within 12 hours, noticeably less so within 48 hours, and only 'of the women who would have become pregnant, just over half won't be if they take this' up to 72 hours.

If this isn't good enough for you, you want to go to a sexual health or contraceptive clinic and have an IUD fitted instead.

It's too early for some STI tests and you're better off with a sexual health clinic if there is one near you for those.

When should I look to do STI tests? Is the doctor likely to refuse giving me the pill and do they need to know that I was on my period?
Thank you very much for your help!
Reply 3
It's about four weeks early to do a meaningful HIV test, but some of the bacterial infections will show up after a week.

No, the GP will very probably give it to you even if - like me - they think it is very unlikely that you are pregnant, but if you are going for it, it is far better to get it TODAY. Have a look on the nhs.uk website for where you can go.
Reply 4
It's about four weeks early to do a meaningful HIV test, but some of the bacterial infections will show up after a week.

No, the GP will very probably give it to you even if - like me - they think it is very unlikely that you are pregnant, but if you are going for it, it is far better to get it TODAY. Have a look on the nhs.uk website for where you can go.

She would not give me the pill, she said she was very sure I wasn't/wouldn't be but I'm unsure :frown: I started my period on the 26/27th of December, had unprotected sex on the 31st, and finished my period today. I know sperm can live for up to 7 days so any should be gone by the 7th, and I think I ovulate on the 9th so surely there is a chance I could be pregnant
Reply 5
I'm almost glad, actually. The further away from the sex ovulation is, the less the chance of pregnancy. Even on the day of ovulation, it's no more than about 50-50, and it drops off both sides of that.

If you ovulate normally, you won't become pregnant. If you ovulated now, you would be very very very unlikely to become pregnant.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

Your GP will refer you to a local GUM clinic if you were to see him/her. So, if I were you, I'd just go to a walk-in GUM clinic instead.

Common bacterial infections such as Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea tend to have a window period of 2-3 days. Viral infections such as HIV and Syphilis have a window period of 4 weeks and 8 weeks respectively.

Not all doctors and clinics are up-to-date with the latest BASHH guidelines and therefore state HIV has a window period of 12 weeks. However, new HIV duo tests (4th generation) are 95% (some experts say 99.998%) accurate by 4 weeks. By 8 weeks, both tests (3rd and 4th gen) are conclusive.

FYI, HIV is very rarely transmitted from a single exposure of unprotected vaginal sex - of course it happens, but infrequently.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by DayToForget
Viral infections such as .. Syphilis have a window period of .. 8 weeks respectively.

Syphillis is bacterial, not viral.

The routine test for it is reliable after 4-5 weeks, and unless you have a visible ulcer (develops somewhere between 9 and 90 days) or report sex with someone who's got it, that's the one you'll get. The main other one is reliable after 2-3 weeks, and some places use both for everyone.
Reply 8
Syphillis is bacterial, not viral.

The routine test for it is reliable after 4-5 weeks, and unless you have a visible ulcer (develops somewhere between 9 and 90 days) or report sex with someone who's got it, that's the one you'll get. The main other one is reliable after 2-3 weeks, and some places use both for everyone.

Yes, thanks for the correction.

With regards to 4-5 weeks: you'll get an accurate result, but it won't be 100%. Some experts state 3 - 6 weeks, others say 12. There's no real solid data out there.
Original post by Anonymous
I rather stupidly got drunk and had unprotected sex with someone I didn't know and lost my virginity.
I am going to the GP tomorrow to get emergency contraception ( I had sex on 31st) so i think it is still within the time span?
What are the chances I could be pregnant - I know it is still possible to get pregnant whilst on your period, but is it not uncommon?

People are going to say it depends when you ovulate but remember you could always ovulate earlier or later then your actual due date. My doctor told me that the morning after pill is most effective when taken 24-72 hours after unprotected sex, so just in case take a pregnancy test 2 weeks after you had unprotected sex. I'm in a bit of a similar situation right now,

Quick Reply

Latest