The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Can feminists give their counter arguments to these points?

I am doing an essay on how extreme feminism is bad for society, and it wouldnt be fair if I didnt include feminists counter arguments to what I say.

I think that feminism is born from certain women recieving little or no attention from the males, and they therefore begin to resent them from it.
I also mention that the claim 'men are raised to hate women' is fundamentaly flawed as the feminist vloggers, protestors etc are only recieving hate because they do idiot things, not because they are women ie protest naked, laugh at male genital mutilation, lie during campaigns and use draconian methods to prevent the opposing view being heard.
I also say that it is silly for them to claim to want equality because they are only focussing on womens inequalities rather than mens - ie being drafted, custody over children, longer prison sentences etc.

Also if I could get more reasons as to why extreme feminism is bad for society it would really help :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Pennyarcade
Also if I could get more reasons as to why feminism is bad for society it would really help :smile:

This guy sums up a lot of key reasons why:

I am doing an essay on how feminism is bad for society, and it wouldnt be fair if I didnt include feminists counter arguments to what I say.

I think that feminism is born from certain women recieving little or no attention from the males, and they therefore begin to resent them from it.
I also mention that the claim 'men are raised to hate women' is fundamentaly flawed as the feminist vloggers, protestors etc are only recieving hate because they do idiot things, not because they are women ie protest naked, laugh at male genital mutilation, lie during campaigns and use draconian methods to prevent the opposing view being heard.
I also say that it is silly for them to claim to want equality because they are only focussing on womens inequalities rather than mens - ie being drafted, custody over children, longer prison sentences etc.

Also if I could get more reasons as to why feminism is bad for society it would really help :smile:

You could do with something to back up your claim that feminism came from resentment. Also, pretty much all of the things you have said that feminism does/claims is not done or claimed by the majority of feminists. For instance, it's not claimed that men are brought up to hate women.
Reply 3
Original post by incipientT
You could do with something to back up your claim that feminism came from resentment. Also, pretty much all of the things you have said that feminism does/claims is not done or claimed by the majority of feminists. For instance, it's not claimed that men are brought up to hate women.

Yeah, thats why I posted it here, so that I could get more ideas on things most feminists do.
In this BBC segment it is claimed that men are raised to hate women http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2gPWn52z4M
Yeah, thats why I posted it here, so that I could get more ideas on things most feminists do.
In this BBC segment it is claimed that men are raised to hate women http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2gPWn52z4M

I think you'll find that most feminists just want equality. Sure, there are people who have extreme views, but most don't hold those views.

EDIT: Having now listened to the whole of that video, there was only a single brief comment about men being raised to hate women.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5

Watch this video:

Karen / GirlWritesWhat argues that feminism will eventually bring about an economic and social collapse. The transcript is here: http://owningyour****.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/transcript-of-fempocalypse.html
I am doing an essay on how feminism is bad for society, and it wouldnt be fair if I didnt include feminists counter arguments to what I say.

May I ask what subject/degree course this concerns? :eek:
Reply 7
Original post by SHallowvale
May I ask what subject/degree course this concerns? :eek:

Its just a persuasive essay for higher english
Um I don't think asking on a forum is a good idea. You're better off looking up some well known feminists and reading through what they have to say on the matter, anyone here can pretend to be a feminist and give you a weird reply.

Check out some of the feminists on this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_feminists#Mid_and_late_20th-century_and_all_21st-century_feminists you have a variety so it'll help you form a better argument.
Reply 9

It is by Helene Cixous and the other deconstructionist feminists. Even post third-wave feminism still advocates the ridiculous ideas Butler and Derrida came out with and it's the same reason why feminism today takes things way to seriously - a pen is just a pen for ****'s sake; just because it has the same shape of a penis doesn't mean it's a symbol of masculine authority.
Reply 10
Original post by drake10
Watch this video:

Karen / GirlWritesWhat argues that feminism will eventually bring about an economic and social collapse. The transcript is here: http://owningyour****.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/transcript-of-fempocalypse.html

+1 thats exactly the type of thing I was after. Thanks.
Original post by Kiss
It is by Helene Cixous and the other deconstructionist feminists. Even post third-wave feminism still advocates the ridiculous ideas Butler and Derrida came out with and it's the same reason why feminism today takes things way to seriously - a pen is just a pen for ****'s sake; just because it has the same shape of a penis doesn't mean it's a symbol of masculine authority.

As I said in the previous line, the majority don't.
Reply 12

Feminism is not "born from certain women receiving little or no attention from the males". Of course, in the first place, feminism had a purpose. Feminism was for equality. Nowadays, I think it's more of a coming of age thing. Women want to become strong and independent and they want to make a difference in the world and make other girls feel the same. Extreme feminists take advantage of such girls with rants on the objectification of women in men's magazines and so forth, and lead to a general ignorance surrounding what feminism really means. You might want to consider feminism in terms of the contrast between modern feminism and the protofeminism of say, the Bronte sisters. I myself am a dissident feminist: I believe in equality, but I don't believe in bitching and moaning over nothing.

Hmm. Regardless of whether or not these points are true, they do not seem all that relavent to the essay title: ''How feminism is bad for society''.
Make sure you define society. Women are part of society too, and I for one am a lot better off now than at any other time in history. Saying that men are worse off on average doesn't necessarily reflect whether people are worse off on average.

'Feminism' is a very misleading umbrella term - a lot of things come under that heading, and for some reason gender equality is one of them. Just be specific about precisely what feminist ideas you disagree with, because plenty of 'feminists' I know are fully supportive of male issues. Personally I think feminism needs to be rebranded to gender equality, because the term itself is outdated, and only produces resentment.

"I think that feminism is born from certain women receiving little or no attention from the males, and they therefore begin to resent them from it" suggests a deep misunderstanding of what drives people. Sex is clearly a massive motivator for your average person, but so are independence, success, money, ambition and intellectual endeavour. Women are not so different from men in this respect, no matter what people would have you believe. I know this because I am one. Our motivations for wanting equality of opportunity are the same as any human's.

Finally, you will need to address what 'breakdown of society' means. A slave society with a king and rigid hierarchy can be a stable society. A religious state can be a stable society. However, neither are what we might call a 'good' society. If you are going to say feminism is bad for society you may as well say democracy is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Feminism has/is failing.I truly fear for men in society at the moment and in the future.
As I said in the previous line, the majority don't.

What people have to realise is the disparity between what layman feminists believe and what the actual feminist theorists believe. I hate feminism, but I don't disagree with what many so called feminists believe feminism to be. In fact, when in discussions I bring up what feminism actually teaches, and most think what I've said is nonsense.

It is the people who actually initiate, develop and support feminist theories who get to choose what their ideology entails, not what your average woman on the street thinks, that determines what feminism is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Ceri_Anne
Feminism is not "born from certain women receiving little or no attention from the males". Of course, in the first place, feminism had a purpose. Feminism was for equality. Nowadays, I think it's more of a coming of age thing. Women want to become strong and independent and they want to make a difference in the world and make other girls feel the same. Extreme feminists take advantage of such girls with rants on the objectification of women in men's magazines and so forth, and lead to a general ignorance surrounding what feminism really means. You might want to consider feminism in terms of the contrast between modern feminism and the protofeminism of say, the Bronte sisters. I myself am a dissident feminist: I believe in equality, but I don't believe in bitching and moaning over nothing.

Thanks, I will consider this in it.

Original post by SHallowvale
Hmm. Regardless of whether or not these points are true, they do not seem all that relavent to the essay title: ''How feminism is bad for society''.

These are just very brief outlines, I have obviously expanded on how each can be detrimental for society

Original post by Octohedral
Make sure you define society. Women are part of society too, and I for one am a lot better off now than at any other time in history. Saying that men are worse off on average doesn't necessarily reflect whether people are worse off on average.

'Feminism' is a very misleading umbrella term - a lot of things come under that heading, and for some reason gender equality is one of them. Just be specific about precisely what feminist ideas you disagree with, because plenty of 'feminists' I know are fully supportive of male issues. Personally I think feminism needs to be rebranded to gender equality, because the term itself is outdated, and only produces resentment.

"I think that feminism is born from certain women receiving little or no attention from the males, and they therefore begin to resent them from it" suggests a deep misunderstanding of what drives people. Sex is clearly a massive motivator for your average person, but so are independence, success, money, ambition and intellectual endeavour. Women are not so different from men in this respect, no matter what people would have you believe. I know this because I am one. Our motivations for wanting equality of opportunity are the same as any human's.

Finally, you will need to address what 'breakdown of society' means. A slave society with a king and rigid hierarchy can be a stable society. A religious state can be a stable society. However, neither are what we might call a 'good' society. If you are going to say feminism is bad for society you may as well say democracy is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the info, I will consider this too
Feminism could result in prejudice and discrimination against stay at home mothers (only really applies to radicals and hypocritical liberals).

What you describe is an extremist femenist. A femenist in its simplest term is defined as someone who supports the equality of the sexes by wanting to improve the lives of women.

The problem is, its lead to some women getting over sensitive, calling harmless things "sexist". This is only fuelled by our society's desire to make everything PC. Also the oversensitivity has led to some men resenting feminists and true feminism, issues that actually are a problem, aren't taken seriously.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest