Cause of death: OCR English Lit Coursework

Watch
amyu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
My 3000 word essay title is basically: Compare and Contrast How Stoker in Dracula and Bronte in Wuthering Heights challenges or perpetuates the female stereotype?

i'm so stuck, whether this is some kind of writer's block i don't know but i can't begin to find useful english coursework resources or any direction for guidance. Help me... i've attempted to begin my coursework 4 times and have written countless different notes, paragraphs, mindmaps and ideas and now i'm just considering republishing each novel and passing it off as coursework.

this may be an easy essay for some but for me apparently not, what am i supposed to do?
Ceri_Anne
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by amyu)
My 3000 word essay title is basically: Compare and Contrast How Stoker in Dracula and Bronte in Wuthering Heights challenges or perpetuates the female stereotype?

i'm so stuck, whether this is some kind of writer's block i don't know but i can't begin to find useful english coursework resources or any direction for guidance. Help me... i've attempted to begin my coursework 4 times and have written countless different notes, paragraphs, mindmaps and ideas and now i'm just considering republishing each novel and passing it off as coursework.

this may be an easy essay for some but for me apparently not, what am i supposed to do?
I believe there's a section on the Brontes (though I don't remember if it was just Charlotte, or Emily also) in Elaine Showalter's A Literature of their Own. Not sure on Dracula, as I've only seen the films, but I suppose Mina is kind of objectified by Dracula, and she submits to him completely, whereas Catherine makes her own choices (though I think Jane Eyre is a far greater example. Personal preference). Uhhhh... the nurse/cook/that old lady that narrates parts of Wuthering Heights gives unreliable narrative, and she's kind of a gossip. Catherine's a bit of a tease. And she marries for money and social position over her love for Heathcliff. Ugh, I hate Catherine. Haha, sorry I can't be of more help. Really hated Wuthering Heights. It's a bit of a blur.

EDIT: Also, isn't Mina like the reincarnation of his old love? So, basically, women are replaceable objects for the gratification of men? Haha. Maybe that escalated a little quickly. But hey, if you can justify it, that's a couple marks right there.

EDIT #2: Dracula's vampire whores! Gotta be something in that.

Final edit, I promise: Looked up some quotes. “I suppose that we women are such cowards that we think a man will save us from fears, and we marry him.” seems relevant. Also, maybe this: “There is a reason why all things are as they are". Could relate to treatment of women at time of writing, women's roles, traditions and so forth.
AlexKay99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
sorry to bomb your thread but can anyone tell me, im doing OCR coursework F662, can I use and autobiography as part of my 'post-1990 literary text' ? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (21)
13.55%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.1%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (64)
41.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.84%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.23%

Watched Threads