The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 on Regression

THe question: A regression line of y=5+3x is found usinf 10 data sets, Another piece of data is recorded which when put on a scatter diagram with the original data proves to be well above the regression line for all the other data. Write down whether or not the regression equation would change if this piece of data were included in the calcution.

What I interpret this question is that there is one data that when ploteed on graph the point lies above the line of the original regression. If this point is included when plotting a new line, the line will become more steep (the slope become greater/larger in value), Am I correct??

the answer to this question is the equation of the regression line would change.
Original post by Lamalam

What I interpret this question is that there is one data that when ploteed on graph the point lies above the line of the original regression. If this point is included when plotting a new line, the line will become more steep (the slope become greater/larger in value), Am I correct??

Not necessarily:

Depends on whether the regression line's slope is positive or negative, and whether the x coordinate of the new point is greater or less than the mean of the x coordinates of the existing points.

Quick Reply

Latest