Lamalam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
THe question: A regression line of y=5+3x is found usinf 10 data sets, Another piece of data is recorded which when put on a scatter diagram with the original data proves to be well above the regression line for all the other data. Write down whether or not the regression equation would change if this piece of data were included in the calcution.

What I interpret this question is that there is one data that when ploteed on graph the point lies above the line of the original regression. If this point is included when plotting a new line, the line will become more steep (the slope become greater/larger in value), Am I correct??

the answer to this question is the equation of the regression line would change.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lamalam)
What I interpret this question is that there is one data that when ploteed on graph the point lies above the line of the original regression. If this point is included when plotting a new line, the line will become more steep (the slope become greater/larger in value), Am I correct??
Not necessarily:

Depends on whether the regression line's slope is positive or negative, and whether the x coordinate of the new point is greater or less than the mean of the x coordinates of the existing points.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.26%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (120)
37.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.66%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.42%

Watched Threads