CD drive only recognised CDs if they're inside upon booting. Watch

Beige_Angel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've tried disabling and enabling in device manager; checking drivers (they were fully up-to-date); uninstalling and re-installing the device; entering a couple recommended commands in command prompt and carefully wiping down the optical lense.

The weird thing is, the drive shows up in device manager in the control panel but if go to Computer > Manage, nothing shows up for it "D:".

I have Windows 8 on a Samsung series 3 notebook. At this moment in time I have to restart it upon each inserting of a new CD for it to read. Sometimes it'll work a second time, sometimes it won't even work the first. I've had this laptop for less than a year and honestly hardly ever use it to play CDs or DVDs, I only noticed this because I tried to rip a music CD the other day and had hassle. The drive has probably had a maximum of 10 uses ever so I don't think it's likely been caused by "wearage", if that makes sense.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?
Iqbal007
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Beige_Angel)
I've tried disabling and enabling in device manager; checking drivers (they were fully up-to-date); uninstalling and re-installing the device; entering a couple recommended commands in command prompt and carefully wiping down the optical lense.

The weird thing is, the drive shows up in device manager in the control panel but if go to Computer > Manage, nothing shows up for it "D:".

I have Windows 8 on a Samsung series 3 notebook. At this moment in time I have to restart it upon each inserting of a new CD for it to read. Sometimes it'll work a second time, sometimes it won't even work the first. I've had this laptop for less than a year and honestly hardly ever use it to play CDs or DVDs, I only noticed this because I tried to rip a music CD the other day and had hassle. The drive has probably had a maximum of 10 uses ever so I don't think it's likely been caused by "wearage", if that makes sense.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?
Regíster the devíce on Samsungs site ín the support sectíon, go to download area and get the latest dríver...devíce manager ísn't great ín my opíníon
Beige_Angel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
Regíster the devíce on Samsungs site ín the support sectíon, go to download area and get the latest dríver...devíce manager ísn't great ín my opíníon
I'm sorry I never replied! My device can't be registered because the site never recognises it and it's product code isn't listed.

However I have a computer nerd for a brother so after a while I gave up trying myself and he was able to solve the problem for me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.65%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.41%
No, but I want to start (265)
37.59%
No, I am unable to (167)
23.69%
No, I chose not to (195)
27.66%