The Student Room Group

What to wear for work??

So, i'm starting a new job with an insurance firm at the end of the month and the attire is obviously a shirt and tie affair but i've never worked in an office before.. I want to make a good impression!

Is it normal to alternate on shirt colours every other day or should i mix up the tie colour every now and then? :colondollar:
Reply 1
Original post by Will7291
So, i'm starting a new job with an insurance firm at the end of the month and the attire is obviously a shirt and tie affair but i've never worked in an office before.. I want to make a good impression!

Is it normal to alternate on shirt colours every other day or should i mix up the tie colour every now and then? :colondollar:

It won't make any difference.

If you don't want to look like a wannabe gangster or a mobile phone salesman -

Make sure your shirt is lighter than your jacket.

Avoid purples and pink unless you really know what you're doing.

On your first day, if you have a striped or small-checked shirt (i.e. gingham) wear that - it will hide the stains better if you have food accidents if you're nervous.

If you don't have your shirts yet, stick to single cuffs. This saves you running around at 7am panicking over a missing cufflink.

Ties should be non-novelty and should contrast with your shirt. If you have a striped shirt, don't wear a striped tie. Power ties (bright red etc) are a bit 1980s, but there's nothing wrong with it.

Having said that, some people wear the same tie their entire career without any problems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending