The Student Room Group

AS Maths - Please help me

Hello,

I have been trying to do these questions for an extended period of time, but have not been successfully, so your help would be much appreciated.

1) Use sin x = O/H and cos x = A/H to write (sin x)/(cos x) in its simplest form.

2) Solve the equation on the interval 0 < x < 2pi
(sin x - 1)(2 cos x + 1) = 0

Solve the following equations for x:

3) 3^(2x) - 5(3^x) + 4 = 0

4) log(2) (x^2 - 4x - 5) - log(2) (x^2 + x) = 4

The answers are apparently:

1) tan x

2) pi/2, 2pi/3, 4pi/3

3) x = log(3)4 or x = 0

4) x = -1/3, -1

Thank you very much in advance.
Reply 1
Afternoon!
I'm an A2 student who is studying Mathematics so I'll be a helping hand!

Is it C2 syllabus content, right?

1) If we use the x compositions they ask to implement in the proof, you'll see this...

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1388678072.759161.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
cos they do... get it.... ahahahahahahahah i have to revise as well.... *sigh*
Reply 3
2)
Here's my calculations - if you have any concern on the theory - which I have implemented - then I'll try and chip in...

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1388678655.675266.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ché.

Please don't provide full worked answers.

Read the Forum Guidelines.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Is there a problem with providing them?
I'm not sure if I'm on your drift...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
OH DAMN!
May I apologise on that note...
I was totally unaware of these conditions. :frown:

How can I remove them?
(Ignore my last post...) -.-

I didn't quite notice you'd attached the conditions until re-reading your post; I apologise again. :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ché.
OH DAMN!
May I apologise on that note...
I was totally unaware of these conditions. :frown:

How can I remove them?
(Ignore my last post...) -.-

I didn't quite notice you'd attached the conditions until re-reading your post; I apologise again. :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile

It's fine. I have removed copies of your answers from my posts. You can delete yours if you wish.
Reply 8
Thank you very much Ché for your help that was much appreciated. However, I am a new member so I didn't have a clue about these conditions. I hope I haven't caused you any trouble.
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
It's fine. I have removed copies of your answers from my posts. You can delete yours if you wish.

These aren't legitimate regulations are they?
Anyway... For the justice of Maths and right doing, I totally agreed that I messed up there even on a logical note.

Thanks Mr. M!
I'll bear this in mind for all my posts on Maths...

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Dear Mr M,

Might I kindly ask you what is wrong with posting 'full worked answers'? I have seen many full worked solutions on certain maths questions. So why is it that when it comes to my post you have a slight issue with that?

Thank you in advance.
Reply 11
Original post by Abbasalama17
Thank you very much Ché for your help that was much appreciated. However, I am a new member so I didn't have a clue about these conditions. I hope I haven't caused you any trouble.

No worries...
That's my problem (I guess...)

Right?
For the sake of improving application.

Q1)
You will have to use the idea that sinx/cosx is equivalent to tanx, but the O/H and A/H - simple manipulation will get you the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Thank you again Ché you have been a great help. It appears that you are a very bight student considering that you have worked through this very quickly.
Reply 13
Thank you again Ché you have been a great help. It appears that you are a very bight student considering that you have worked through this very quickly.

Why, thank you very much...
I do work hard at nailing all areas of Mathematics - sometimes it's challenging, but if I can sophisticatedly display my answers with sufficient understanding, I'll get there in the end...

Any more help, PM me!
(This helps me more than you even know... It's tests whether I still know it!)
Aha!
:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dear Mr M,

Might I kindly ask you what is wrong with posting 'full worked answers'? I have seen many full worked solutions on certain maths questions. So why is it that when it comes to my post you have a slight issue with that?

Thank you in advance.

The problem with full worked solutions as a first response is that it does not help the poster to understand the material or develop their thinking
Reply 15
Ah that now makes sense. Thank you 'TenOfThem'.
Dear Mr M,

Thank you in advance.

I'm just reminding people of the rules that have been in place and working effectively for many years. If you object in some way then please use the Ask A Moderator page.

Quick Reply

Latest