The Student Room Group

Tony Stark's path to transformation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tony Stark

Bent Over Rows: 5x5x40, I really like this exercise, just got to remember to bend over a little bit more, corrected this after my first set.

How far over do you bend?
Reply 61
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
How far over do you bend?

EDIT: even after 'correcting' it I still realised after watching the video from the link of the ICF website that I should be bending way more

Like 35 degrees, why am I such a noob.
Reply 62
EDIT: even after 'correcting' it I still realised after watching the video from the link of the ICF website that I should be bending way more

Like 35 degrees, why am I such a noob.

The whole worlds as stage brah and we are merely the noobs dw
Reply 63
Yesterday's B routine:

Squats: 2x5x20, 3x5x30

Deadlifts: 2x5x30, the routine says to only do 1x5 but the weight isn't taxing enough to affect my CNS negatively, still learning form

Standing press: 5x5x22.5kg, would love to move up in weight for this and progress but I still find it hard at 22.5 for my last few reps for the last 2 sets

Bent over row: 5x5x35kg, I bent over more but still not enough for some reason it just didn’t feel natural, will post a video on Friday for a form check, does bent over rows need to be done very bent over or is a slight bend okay?

Close grip BP: 5X20, 5X30, 5X40, 3X5X42.5KG, I asked someone at the gym about the grip and it turns out my grip was actually narrower than need be last time I did it, so I changed my grip so that my thumbs were just on the outskirts of the smooth middle section of the bar. This felt pretty fine, next week I’ll move up to 45.

DB Incline curls: 3x8x8kg

Decline sit-ups with Medicine ball: 3x15x10kg
Reply 64
Diet this past week hasn't been great, no vegetables at all and I'm only hitting 115g of protein on average though I'm getting enough carbs. Stupid new timetable almost doubling my contact hours... I have no time to do anything :O Note to self: never ever leave a protein shaker overnight without washing it... It absolutely stank and even after numerous soakings with hot water and washing up liquid I can still smell the remnants of dem lysine and arginine bad boys. Yesterday's post workout shake was terrible, ran out of milk, had to use water, almost a quarter of the protein powder stuck to the bottom even after vigorous shaking, only got about 100g of p that day :frown: Will try to get my diet back in check and actually get the instant oats to boost my calories.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
Friday’s A routine:
Bent Over Rows: 5x20, 5x5x40, haven’t got a video of this yet but I’ll endeavour to get one on Monday
Squats: 5x5x30kg, will get a video of this on Monday to see how far I’ve come since the start form wise, I need to stretch my hamstrings more as I feel they're slightly tight when I do them
Hyperextensions with 5kg plate: 2x10 used a 5kg plate instead of a 10kg one because I didn’t know if I went too heavy on Monday, so will stick with 5kg for another week then go on to 10kg
Bench Press: 5x20, 5x30, 5x5x47.5kg, - happy with this, hopefully I can move on to 50kg next week
Tricep extensions 3x8x12.5kg

Several odd changes to today’s routine, the first obvious one there being no shrugs (since my neck still aches a lot from Monday’s shrugs overdid it, hopefully the pain will go by next week, pretty worried about this though :/ ), went to the gym half an hour late so didn’t have time for DB curls or ab work

[font="Calibri"]Routine today was jumbled and not in order due to me running out of time and just working in with people who I could, will stick to the correct sequence on Monday though J

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 66
Monday's B routine:

Squats: 5x30, 4x5x35
Deadlifts: 5x30, 1x5x40 - felt decent,
Standing press: 5x5x25
Bent over rows: 5x5x37.5kg
CG bench Press: 5x5x45kg

Didn't have time to do curls, hyper extensions and cable crunch. Will do ab work at home, next time I'll give myself another 15-20mins to ensure I complete everything.
Reply 67
Today's A routine:

Squats: 5x20, 5x30, 3x5x35, video link of my third for a form check soon to come, I feel I've improved in my hip movement but my movement going up still needs to improve quite a bit.

Bench Press: 5x35, 4x50kg, 4x5x50kg, strained my left rotator cuff tendon during/after squats and was slightly apprehensive about hiting 50, first set was shaky, only counted the first 4 since the last one needed a bit of assistance. The rest were better. I was so happy after my final set.

Bent Over Rows: 5x5x45kg. I have only just realized after remembering what plates I used that I did 45kg instead of the intended 42.5kg... These were challenging but fine I thought, I don't think I'm bending down enough though. I'll post a video of it

Barbell Shrugs: 5x40, 2x8x40, always forget shrugs are 3x8 :tongue: These felt light and were lighter than previously but I thought I would slowly increase it after injuring my traps/rhomboid/who knows last week, thankfully I have almost fully healed so I can do them again.
Tricep Extensions: 3x8x12.5kg

Incline DB curls: 8x8kg, 8x9kg, 7x9kg, did both my arms at the same time on my last set instead of alternately (since my gym bud said Jason Blaha said to do them at the same time), felt harder. Thinking of doing curls with the EZ bar instead next time.

Hyperextensions with 10kg plate: 2x10

Decline sit ups with 10kg plate: 3x15
(edited 10 years ago)
will be good to see a vid of squats
Reply 69
Original post by AreebWithaHat
will be good to see a vid of squats

My third set of squats (35kg):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Womre3iZtpY
Reply 70
Me doing Bent-Over Rows (45kg):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-SGlTIfTuo

would appreciate any advise on form
My third set of squats (35kg):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Womre3iZtpY

post on the technique critique advice thread as well. i know you're doing low bar but i think you're focussing too much on sitting back, let your knees track a bit further forward.
Reply 72
Original post by AreebWithaHat
post on the technique critique advice thread as well. i know you're doing low bar but i think you're focussing too much on sitting back, let your knees track a bit further forward.

Oh right yeah will do thanks, every time I do it I've been thinking so hard on making sure I move my hips out and not to use my knees
Reply 73
Friday's B routine:

Squats: 5x20, 5x30, 2x5x35, 2x5x40. Will drop down 1.25 next week I think since whilst I was doing 40's my left adductor was playing up again and I felt I was going back to my crappy crouching movement instead.

Deadlifts: 1x5x40kg, will go for 45 kg next week. My back is staying straight and not rounding I think, will get a video soon to see.

Standing Press: 5x5x25kg, these felt fine, hoping I can move up to 27.5 next week.

Bent over rows (-10%): 5x5x37.5kg these felt easy, only realised after my last set that I calculated my -10% weight wrong, it should have been 40.5kg. Crap… will amend this next week

CG Bench Press: 5x20, 4x5x47.5kg, 3x47.5kg, it was a shame I couldn’t fully complete my last set but I felt challenged for this so it was fine. And yes, I f****d up again and forgot that CGBP is 3x8 instead of 5x5… May be harder to do 47.5 for 3x8 instead of 5x5, will see if I can do this next week.

Barbell curls: 3x8x20kg

Didn’t have time for ab work again, will just do it at home. Today was not a good day for gainz, was up for nearly 24 hours, didn't get enough protein or veg and only 7 hours of sleep :redface:

Can't wait for next week, it's ABA instead of BAB! so I get to bench twice :biggrin: Wondering whether I should up the weight for BP by the customary 2.5kg (if I can) and lift quicker, or stick with 50kg and try the 3 second negative and sink for added hypetrophy of pecs like what Scoobie was doing, I do want a bigger chest but moving a bit more weight is a nice ego booster... Hmm decisions
(edited 10 years ago)
Oh right yeah will do thanks, every time I do it I've been thinking so hard on making sure I move my hips out and not to use my knees

I agree with Areeb. What you're doing now is way better than how it was at the beginning, but you've gone too far in the other extreme now. :tongue:

I'd say stick with 50 if you want to try the sink - you'll be going for 52,5 on the second A workout anyway!
Reply 75
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I agree with Areeb. What you're doing now is way better than how it was at the beginning, but you've gone too far in the other extreme now. :tongue:

I'd say stick with 50 if you want to try the sink - you'll be going for 52,5 on the second A workout anyway!

Okay I'm trying to correct this now, don't know whether I can jump 2.5kg for the BP on Friday Monday's was hard enough :tongue:
Reply 76
Monday’s A routine:

Squats: 5x20, 5x5x37.5kg the last few sets felt lousy, will try to improve this next time

Bench Press: 5x20, 5x5x50kg could just about do this fine, I was moving the weight a bit too fast for the first few reps of the first 2 sets just because I felt I wouldn’t stand a chance otherwise, I need to slow it down slightly but not stop half way through a set because I find starting again is much harder and the chance of failing is higher

Bent over rows: 5x20, 5x5x47.5kg these were so much harder than 45kg I felt, couldn’t bend down as much and wasn’t as fun, will try and see if it gets easier on Friday

No barbell shrugs because I wanted to sufficiently recover

Tricep extensions; 3x8x15kg

Hyperextensions with 10kg plate: 2x10

Didn’t have time for curls or ab work. Did the 8 min ab workout (just about) the day after.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Double whammy update today

Today’s B routine:

CG Bench Press: 5x20, 2x8x47.5kg, 4x47.5kg , just couldn’t do anything more :/

Squats: 5x20, 5x5x37.5kg, need to remember to keep my chest out, feet slightly wider

Deadlifts: 1x5x45kg

Standing press: 5x5x27.5kg these were a real grind

Bent over rows: 8x30, 2x11x30kg didn’t have time to do this properly so just did them at the end with fixed weight barbells and the highest was 30kg

Incline DB curls: 3x8x9kg

Decline sit-ups with 10kg plate: 3x20

Not a 100% workout but good enough considering I was contemplating not going today as I’m suffering the effects of a cold, didn’t bring my protein shake and this coupled with not having lunch till 5 is not good at all :/ Glad I didn’t miss today’s workout though, (I nearly did), really glad I haven’t ruined my 100% ICF adherence so far :biggrin:

I was so in awe by this guy I was working in with, doing 145kg squats and he looked like a cool guy, what was even more awesome was the banter with this even cooler looking Asian guy benching 120kg, got me so motivated, I want to be him!
(edited 10 years ago)

I was so in awe by this guy I was working in with, doing 145kg squats and he looked like a cool guy, what was even more awesome was the banter with this even cooler looking Asian guy benching 120kg, got me so motivated, I want to be him!

YEAH BRAH. YEAAAH. GET IT. GET IT.

This can all be yours if you keep working at it, bro. :tongue:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
YEAH BRAH. YEAAAH. GET IT. GET IT.

This can all be yours if you keep working at it, bro. :tongue:

COOOORRRRREect

Quick Reply

Latest