Women hitting men - outrageous double standard

Watch
MostUncivilised
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This video is most instructive about the double standards we have when it comes to women hitting men.

It's astounding that one of the women passing by the woman hitting the man did a little fist pump and said "You go girl", and justified it on the basis he's "probably cheating". Even a passing cop (off duty) declines to do anything, and admits afterwards that he would do something about it if it was the man hitting the woman.

How would we view a man beating up a woman because he thought she was cheating? It does seem to be much more acceptable in popular culture for a woman to slap a man, for whatever perceived slight.

I disagree with the saying "You never hit a woman"; you should never hit anyone except in self-defence.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thankfully this hasn't affected me so far but there'd be a **** storm if it did.
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snagprophet)
Thankfully this hasn't affected me so far but there'd be a **** storm if it did.
I once saw my stepmother slap my dad; I don't know what perceived infraction earned him this punishment, but it seems to be an extraordinary hypocrisy. Many Hollywood movies show a woman slapping a man, and it is portrayed in a way that is supposed to show a kind of justified response to the man's "crime"
Welsh_insomniac
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just because men don't show pain, does not mean they are not hurting. This is a double standard that should be ousted in the name of equality.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MostUncivilised)
I once saw my stepmother slap my dad; I don't know what perceived infraction earned him this punishment, but it seems to be an extraordinary hypocrisy. Many Hollywood movies show a woman slapping a man, and it is portrayed in a way that is supposed to show a kind of justified response to the man's "crime"
The problem is a single slap/punch/hit doesn't generally justify a retaliation because it's not a relentless attack, it seems weird to want to retaliate to a single attack but it's rather contrived and strange that someone would do a single strike. As for a relentless attack, that's pretty obvious a justifiable to 'retaliate'.
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snagprophet)
The problem is a single slap/punch/hit doesn't generally justify a retaliation because it's not a relentless attack, it seems weird to want to retaliate to a single attack but it's rather contrived and strange that someone would do a single strike. As for a relentless attack, that's pretty obvious a justifiable to 'retaliate'.
I do agree with you there, a single slap probably isn't worthy of a physical retaliation.

But nor should it be tolerated; I think the good old Islamic punishment of withholding sex might do the trick, or even breaking up if the woman makes a habit of it.
SkAlley
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think women who hit men need to be punished just a harsh as men who hit women. It shouldn't matter that men are stereotypically 'stronger', therefore 'less defenseless' than women. If we want a world with equal rights between genders, then there can't be separate rules that enables justification for abuse!!
I actually cannot stand when I see some of the girls in my school lay their hands on their boyfriends, or even talk to them in such a demeaning way, that would earn much hostility if it was the other way round. This is how nasty *****es can merrily escape punishment for hurting their partners, as the man would most likely be laughed out of any police station, and be told to "take it like a man, and not be such a p***y".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kiss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Equal rights = equal lefts. Sorry, but you can't expect not to be hit if you're a woman if you start a fight with a guy:

If a man hit a woman unjustly then I'd condemn him as a ****, but equally if a woman does likewise she deserves the same.
Blabyda
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nobody should be hitting anyone. This is only a double standard if you think violence is acceptable at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ForgetMe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Eye for eye, tooth for tooth and nothing more. If you hit me, no matter what gender you are, I'll hit you back.
ash92:)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That second couple...:rofl3:
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I also agree this is totally wrong. To be honest I can't come up with any good reasons why people think it's ok?
member403966
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I grew up with cousins close in age to me. If you hit one of the guys, he'd hit you back. I would never hit a guy because I know he would be capable of causing me a lot of pain. The double standard is stupid. Every girl I know thinks just because they're physically "weaker" than guys they have the right to punch/slap them... I feel every guy has the right to hit a girl back in response to being assaulted. The force of a guys punch/slap is irrelevant (you already know a guy is stronger than you before you hit him). If you choose to use force, you should prepare for it to be reciprocated.
member403966
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
Equal rights = equal lefts. Sorry, but you can't expect not to be hit if you're a woman if you start a fight with a guy:

If a man hit a woman unjustly then I'd condemn him as a ****, but equally if a woman does likewise she deserves the same.
That video gave me a great feeling of satisfaction LOL. She kicked him in the balls and everybody gets upset when he hits her back? He had every right to!
slade p
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
girls who are not lady like and feminine need humbling.
vendettax
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can see how this "never punch a woman"" argument stands in the East (eastern europe/east asia) but British women are hilariously masculine so it doesn't make sense.

We should treat them just like we treat ourselves.
LightBlueSoldier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lol where are the feminists now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
NeeceLondon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If a woman hits a man she should expect to be hit back. If a man hits a woman he should expect to be hit back. A girl I knew hit a boy she was seeing, then when he hit her back she seemed shocked and still cries on about it even now. Fair enough he was a lot more aggressive but the principle is the same. I had, and still have, no pity for her at all. However if I'm being honest, I'm probably more likely to accept a woman hitting a man first than a man hitting a woman first - I'm not sure why.
IShootLikeAGirl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Feminists want equality (just sayin') anyways why does anyone have to hit anyone? but yes, if someone hits you then you can hit them back, provided it's with equal force. If a girl slaps a guy then sure, slap her back but give her a black eye? that's a bit far. And vice versa with if a guy slapped a girl.
EllieC130
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not gonna sit on a high horse. Even though I know abuse can go both ways, I probably would instinctively assume he was cheating if I walked past. I think a big reason is because statistically speaking men hit harder. This doesn't make it right at all but it's a fact. What's worse if I imagine a girl slapping a guy who cheated I think fair dos but the other way round just doesn't seem right. It's bad I know but instincts are instincts and I'm not gonna pretend mine don't think bad things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
34.07%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (714)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (345)
19.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.58%

Watched Threads