The Student Room Group

Why is my teacher refusing to write my refence unless i apply through the college?? H

I am currently on a gap year, applying independently and my application is almost complete. I just need a reference but when i contacted one of my old teachers, he said 'by law' he isn't allowed to write my reference unless i apply through the college. I was never aware of this and so confused. Is he correct and what should i do??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
No he's not, if he wanted to he could give you a reference. Maybe your college has a rule though. Is there another teacher you could ask?
Try and apply for 2015 entry.

It's not against the law btw.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Try and apply for 2015 entry.

Go away Abdulkarim -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Its by no means the law lol I had my reference done by a teacher on my gap year and there were no problems.
Original post by aims890
No he's not, if he wanted to he could give you a reference. Maybe your college has a rule though. Is there another teacher you could ask?

He is the only one who can give me a really good reference as i did the best in his subject and showed the greatest improvement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
your teacher just can't be bothered. offer to pay him
Original post by Kutta
Its by no means the law lol I had my reference done by a teacher on my gap year and there were no problems.

Then why is he doing this to me :frown:

Do you think it maybe a rule set by that particular college and not a 'law' ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there any particular reason why you can't just apply through your college? It's not the law, but time is tight and you don't want to fart around too much at this stage.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Is there any particular reason why you can't just apply through your college? It's not the law, but time is tight and you don't want to fart around too much at this stage.

But at the start i my application, i already entered that im applying independently :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Secretnerd123
I am currently on a gap year, applying independently and my application is almost complete. I just need a reference but when i contacted one of my old teachers, he said 'by law' he isn't allowed to write my reference unless i apply through the college. I was never aware of this and so confused. Is he correct and what should i do??

Posted from TSR Mobile

It may not be 'by law' but 'by the college's policy' - I doubt they would pay him to write a reference for an external candidate, and his time is required to help with other applications. Especially since you have left it so late - my college wrote references over the summer holidays.
Most gap year applicants apply through their former college - is it possible to change your application so this is the case? It would certainly simplify things...
Reply 11
It will be a school policy. The teacher is under no obligation to write you a reference, so you can either choose a different referee or comply with those conditions.
Original post by Juno
It will be a school policy. The teacher is under no obligation to write you a reference, so you can either choose a different referee or comply with those conditions.

How can i change 'applying indepently' to 'applying through a college' on ucas???
Reply 13
How can i change 'applying indepently' to 'applying through a college' on ucas???

There's an option to link your application in the referee section - you'll need the buzzword for this. Alternatively, you can call UCAS and they can do it for you, but again you'll need the buzzword.

When you've done this you need to tell the college as they need to approve the linking.
Reply 14
Then why is he doing this to me :frown:

Do you think it maybe a rule set by that particular college and not a 'law' ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, its probably just a rule the school might have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending