The Student Room Group

If you're against drugs but drink alcohol, you're an idiot

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jordooooom
I see this all the time. People I know saying things such as 'people who take drugs are so unattractive/disgusting'.

'I can't respect anyone who takes drugs'

'Hate when people try justifying drugs'

Yet the people saying this go out every weekend and get smashed on drink. If it was hardcore drugs such as Heroin and crystal meth then I would understand but things such as ecstacy and cannabis? Are you seriously that deluded? Are you that brainwashed by society?

Is there anyone who is against people using drugs but drinks alcohol themselves on here? Can you argue why? Because as far as I can tell it's just hypocritical.

EDIT: For people who can't read, I'm mainly talking about soft drugs. Not class A drugs

I agree with you, alcohol is statistically much more harmful than cannabis. But obviously the hard drugs are worse.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Why did you use the word " scientifically" in your description? Do you have a paper demonstrating your assertion?

Yeah David Nutt dropped that **** in 2010 I think.
Original post by Moosferatu
Yeah David Nutt dropped that **** in 2010 I think.

I understand what you have written. You were talking about Ecstasy begin relatively safe from a scientific perspective.

I thought you were saying that it has been scientifically shown that the legalisation of LSD would lead to it's abuse. That was made up.
Reply 63
No, but you're an idiot for making that comparison...

How am I an idiot in making that comparison. Coffee which contains caffeine is a drug, alcohol is a drug what's the difference? Both could potential harm you in excessive use.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 64
If it was hardcore drugs such as Heroin and crystal meth then I would understand but things such as ecstacy and cannabis? Are you seriously that deluded? Are you that brainwashed by society?

EDIT: For people who can't read, I'm mainly talking about soft drugs. Not class A drugs

Ectsacy is a Class A drug :tongue:

Spoiler

Reply 65
Original post by Chipher
How am I an idiot in making that comparison. Coffee which contains caffeine is a drug, alcohol is a drug what's the difference? Both could potential harm you in excessive use.

Uhm the fact that alcohol is far more harmful? And harmful in a number of different ways
I know people who have died from taking ecstasy so yes I am against that. I know you can die by drinking too much, but there have been cases where people have died by only taking ecstacy once.

Weed is a separate issue, it's a much 'softer' drug. I have never used it but tbh don't see how it is much worse than cigarettes/alcohol in terms of it's damaging effects.
Reply 67
Also in your OP you say that you're only referring to soft drugs (i'm assuming you mean MDMA/weed/shrooms etc), not hard drugs - surely people who are users of hard drugs such as heroin and crystal meth could also call you a hypocrite for only wanting soft drugs, and not hard drugs, to be legal? It's all relative.
Reply 68
Original post by *Dreaming*
I know people who have died from taking ecstasy so yes I am against that. I know you can die by drinking too much, but there have been cases where people have died by only taking ecstacy once.

Weed is a separate issue, it's a much 'softer' drug. I have never used it but tbh don't see how it is much worse than cigarettes/alcohol in terms of it's damaging effects.

Was it pure? It may have been something packaged as ecstasy but actually has alot of dangerous chemicals that aren't usually in it. But yes, taking things which you aren't sure are made up of is quite silly
(edited 10 years ago)
How did they die? It may have been something packaged as ecstasy but actually has alot of dangerous chemicals that aren't usually in it. But yes, taking things which you aren't sure are made up of is quite silly

Someone of excess water intake and another it was their first time and (I assume) was also drinking alcohol. Not sure of the exact details but her parents found her dead the next morning.
Reply 70
Original post by glousck
Ectsacy is a Class A drug :tongue:

Spoiler

New someone was going to say that! haha. Although even the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs thinks it shouldn't be class A!

Original post by glousck
Also in your OP you say that you're only referring to soft drugs (i'm assuming you mean MDMA/weed/shrooms etc), not hard drugs - surely people who are users of hard drugs such as heroin and crystal meth could also call you a hypocrite for only wanting soft drugs, and not hard drugs, to be legal? It's all relative.

No, no I think all drugs should be legalised or at least decriminalised. I just meant in the OP I could understand why people would be against hardcore drugs compared to 'soft drugs' seeing as they're you know... worse in most cases haha
Reply 71
Someone of excess water intake and another it was their first time and (I assume) was also drinking alcohol. Not sure of the exact details but her parents found her dead the next morning.

Quite strange that you personally know 2 people who died of MDMA given an average of only 12 people die from the drug in this country per year
Original post by glousck
Quite strange that you personally know 2 people who died of MDMA given an average of only 12 people die from the drug in this country per year

They were in my area. One was in my year at college about 4 years ago, the other was someone in my town about 12 years ago. When I say know, I mean knew of. They were both big stories around here so kind of hard to forget about it.
Reply 73
They were in my area. One was in my year at college about 4 years ago, the other was someone in my town about 12 years ago. When I say know, I mean knew of. They were both big stories around here so kind of hard to forget about it.

Whilst they are both upsetting to hear of, particularly as they were likely of a young age and a huge loss to their loved ones - hearing of 2 deaths in 12 years (one that is not related to MDMA but water intoxication, see the story of Leah Betts for more information - regardless of drug consumption, the overexcessive water intake is ultimately the cause of death) doesn't imply that it is an extremely dangerous drug. Whilst it is not healthy or 100% safe, it is consumed by millions of people a year, so for such a considerably small ratio of use:deaths, it is understandable as to why many don't see the need for its criminalisation.

However, on the contrary I do also understand your viewpoint, as knowing/knowing of a person who has died of a drug does have an impact on your opinion of it. For example, my cousin is currently serving his second prison sentence in jail relating to his heroin addiction (held a shopkeeper at gunpoint to steal the till to buy heroin), and as such, knowing the pain he has caused my family, the idea of heroin makes me somewhat uncomfortable.
True, there is a lot of dodgy stuff going around with people not knowing exactly what's in them. Certain ones are more dangerous that others. However if they were legal and regulated like alcohol then that wouldn't be an issue.

What drugs would you say should be legal? Give a good list of what should and shouldn't. Being brought up in a poor area with high amounts of alcoholism, the legal availability of more substances (other than the obvious like weed) doesn't seem like a pretty prospect. So I hope on the list of legal, there are only the non addictive ones.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 75
Uhm the fact that alcohol is far more harmful? And harmful in a number of different ways

That is subjective, the fact of the matter is that people might have been affected more with caffeine than alcohol and been harmed more than alcohol. Your argument is not valid as the premise is invalid.
Reply 76
Original post by Chipher
That is subjective, the fact of the matter is that people might have been affected more with caffeine than alcohol and been harmed more than alcohol. Your argument is not valid as the premise is invalid.

No, it isn't. There are facts to back up the claim. How many diseases are a direct result of caffeine abuse? How many deaths? How many crimes committed because of it?
Reply 77
Original post by SophiaKeuning
What drugs would you say should be legal? Give a good list of what should and shouldn't. Being brought up in a poor area with high amounts of alcoholism, the legal availability of more substances (other than the obvious like weed) doesn't seem like a pretty prospect. So I hope on the list of legal, there are only the non addictive ones.

Why doesn't it seem like a pretty prospect? Surely it's better for people to have access to regulated drugs which aren't contaminated with more dangerous substances. And surely getting rid of the criminal aspect of drug dealers and people committing theft in order to get money for drugs is more beneficial?
Reply 78
No, it isn't. There are facts to back up the claim. How many diseases are a direct result of caffeine abuse? How many deaths? How many crimes committed because of it?

This is a societal issue not a product of the drug itself - alcohol being legal and a major part of social activities for thousands of years has led to it being abused far more often than other drugs which are still seen as taboo. It's not all that dangerous in itself

Seriously try taking MDMA 3x a week, and compare it's effects with drinking alcohol 3x a week
There are more side effects for marijuana than alcohol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending